PDA

View Full Version : Second ever thread in this forum..GPP RULZ

Patz
03-27-2006, 02:31 PM
I feel better than ever, after incorporating some GPP-style workouts into my routine. This is the thread to share your experiences with GPP. Tell us how much it's done for you, so others can see what it's all about.

Davidelmo
03-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Okay, now we need stickies with suggested routines and a list of exercises etc :D

I have no idea what the hell GPP is, but I'm willing to find out.

Joe Black
03-27-2006, 02:41 PM
We are working on just that!

Check out - http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=205

Davidelmo
03-27-2006, 02:52 PM
^^ Cheers Daniel! :D

Cambridge is a lovely place, btw

Bob
03-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Two recommendations:

Anthony's Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=155&page=116
and Crossfit: http://www.crossfit.com

Maki Riddington
03-27-2006, 03:34 PM
I think linking to Crossfit is not a good idea. We can refer to it but WBB stands on its own, meaning we will build a resource that people can use as a reference.

BigRic
03-27-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure if this is an Error but the article says this. "couple hundred more pounds added to my squat, bench press and squat," I'm not sure if the second one was supposed to be deadlift, just trying to help.

Maki Riddington
03-27-2006, 04:47 PM
It should say, "deadlift." Oops.

Bob
03-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Maki... Sorry.. I didn't mean to break any rules.. but I guess I don't see the difference between linking and refering??

Also, not to be a wise guy, but does this also mean we can't link to sites like the "Exercise Prescription on the Net" site, where a lot of WBB'ers link to for muscles and exercise descriptions. Because obviously, WBB is going to recreate that to use as a reference. (I think some folks like Built link to The Training Station Inc site for exercises too.)

And what about FitDay for diets and diet logs?

Or how about those links in your signature? I'm not sure if you are an owner or WBB Maki - though I highly value your input and articles - but should anyone be clicking on Dynamic Conditioning for reference material? Or even services?

I just thought that Crossfit had a lot of useful information. Why reinvent the wheel? I would love to see an article from you, or Daniel, Anthony, Built or someone (how all you combined??) - we all respect input from on the benefits or lack thereof of using Crossfit routines for GPP!

Again.. not trying to be a wise-a--.. or get condemned off of WBB. We come here because of the resources, the valuable information and an open forum.

Anthony
03-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I feel better than ever, after incorporating some GPP-style workouts into my routine. This is the thread to share your experiences with GPP. Tell us how much it's done for you, so others can see what it's all about.

Where do I start?

Way back when I first discovered the pain of dragging a sled around a parking lot and throwing sandbags around, I realized two things immediately:

1) I would never NEED a gym membership again. It's convenient to have one, but even if I was flat broke and homeless, I could still train using these ideas and make tremendous progress.

2) This stuff works.

My conditioning used to be piss poor. I'd get winded tying my shoes. Bringing in the groceries was a nightmare. Elevators were mandatory. I started using GPP to supplement my powerlifting with aims to increase my work capacity (westside volume was too much). Over time I started using GPP to improve my endurance and conditioning. Without a doubt it has completely changed how I approach my training. The results?

I've set several PRs this year. My conditioning is through the roof. I can train 1-2 times a day without ill effect. I'm lean. I have more power/speed/agility that transfers into other sports. I trained/sparred only a few times the entire year, entered a provincial judo competition, and walked through my opponents while barely breaking a sweat. Every time I approach a workout I have never seen and dominate it, my confidence in my ability to be successful in unfamiliar environments continues to grow. This type of training is as much mental as it is physical. Want to test your mental fortitude? Try some hardcore GPP programs. And like elwood said, I feel better than ever.

And keep in mind, this stuff isn't new. It's not revolutionary. We did it as kids. Run, jump, bike, swim, and play sports. We did GPP ALL THE TIME. And we were fit as hell. Imagine trying to mimick that stuff now that we are old ... play tag for 30 minutes, followed by an hour bike ride through the woods, then going to the beach to swim, run, and play frizbee for 3 hours, then coming home and playing cops and robbers when the sun started to set for another 2 hours, setup a tent in the backyard and have wrestling matches until the neighbours complained or our parents told us to go to sleep. No way!! Most adults would pass out and die before they returned from the beach. Hell, let's not forget the GPP that most blue collar families get into ... farming, chopping wood, piling wood, shoveling snow, etc, etc. You think those farm boys are strong because they sit around and play nintendo all day??? Nah man, GPP should be the foundation of all training programs. Build the base and THEN expand.

Anyway, that's my view on GPP. :D :strong:

SW
03-27-2006, 05:07 PM
I like the new forum, and the new organization.

Maki Riddington
03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Maki... Sorry.. I didn't mean to break any rules.. but I guess I don't see the difference between linking and refering??

Also, not to be a wise guy, but does this also mean we can't link to sites like the "Exercise Prescription on the Net" site, where a lot of WBB'ers link to for muscles and exercise descriptions. Because obviously, WBB is going to recreate that to use as a reference. (I think some folks like Built link to The Training Station Inc site for exercises too.)

And what about FitDay for diets and diet logs?

Or how about those links in your signature? I'm not sure if you are an owner or WBB Maki - though I highly value your input and articles - but should anyone be clicking on Dynamic Conditioning for reference material? Or even services?

I just thought that Crossfit had a lot of useful information. Why reinvent the wheel? I would love to see an article from you, or Daniel, Anthony, Built or someone (how all you combined??) - we all respect input from on the benefits or lack thereof of using Crossfit routines for GPP!

Again.. not trying to be a wise-a--.. or get condemned off of WBB. We come here because of the resources, the valuable information and an open forum.

What I'm saying is that I'd like to see WBB stand by itself so all this linking one day will be gone. It's my personal opinion which shouldn't be seen as some sort of way of saying that it's not allowed.

Link away as long as it doesn't break the rules of the forum. I also don't like all the attention Crossfit gets as it seems a bit to trendy for my taste. The same applies to Westside. People get too caught up with the name and what it's associated with and forget to use this stuff as a template or a reference.

Not that its' wrong, just my personal opinion once again.:)

Anthony
03-27-2006, 06:14 PM
I also don't like all the attention Crossfit gets as it seems a bit to trendy for my taste. The same applies to Westside.

Kinda like "Bootcamp" eh?:hello:

Patz
03-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Excellent post, Anthony. I always wondered why I can't do the things I did as a kid.

I'm gonna go play some "spotlight" now!

MixmasterNash
03-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Go climb on a playground for an hour! Excellent exercise.

Maki Riddington
03-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Yes, there's a ton of stuff you can do with a little imagination and creativity.

Clifford Gillmore
03-28-2006, 05:31 AM
When I worked on ships of various sorts, training with BW exercises got boring quickly. A group of us would do farmers walks with anchor chains, as well as burpees with chains, stair runs with 44 gal drums or O2 tanks. Imagination is all thats needed, as well as out of proportion delts :)

Maki Riddington
03-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Kinda like "Bootcamp" eh?:hello:

Ya ya. I knew you'd throw that in there. :)