PDA

View Full Version : P+C, P+F meals

Mr. D
03-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I know many experts like Beraldi champion this cause of eating proteins with carbs or proteins with fats.

Why exactly is eating Carbs with Fat a bad meal?

I dont practice eating it, but I would kind of like to know why.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-27-2006, 03:40 PM
That's more of a myth than anything.

brickt.
03-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Separating Carbs and Fat in order to 'not add bodyfat' is a huge big pile of crap.
Oats/Whey/Almonds (OH GOD!!!!) is a meal of champs.

eps
03-27-2006, 03:52 PM
I like to alternate between P+C and P+F to give more time for my carbs to absorb. I find it helps with my energy levels. I don't know if energy was a theme as to why Beraldi followed this practice.

Built
03-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I do it out of comfort. Keeps my appetite under control.

Optimum08
03-27-2006, 04:24 PM
this may seem like a stupid question, but if you did have a so called dreaded C+F meal would the satiating feeling of the fat "cancel out" the hunger spurred by the carbs? or am i simplifying it too much?

brickt.
03-27-2006, 05:07 PM
It's an ambiguous question Opti; carbs make some people hungry, others get full. Same with fats. It's all individual.

f=ma
03-27-2006, 05:25 PM
carb cycling uses P+C and P+F meals i think and works very well for some people.. there is an article on it somewhere on t-nation

brickt.
03-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I think if you're trying to target carbs specifically around workouts, P+F and P+C is a good way to structure it.

Shao-LiN
03-27-2006, 05:35 PM
As far as fat gain/loss is concerned, it doesn't matter. You need to consider that the fat you ate at your last meal is probably still lingering in your stomach when you decide to eat the meal with carbs. So, in the end, it won't matter.

But, can it have psychological benefits? Sure. As some have said, it helps keep their appetite in control. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference as far as appetite is concerned. I have a raging appetite either way =).

betastas
03-27-2006, 07:28 PM
basically, eating carbs raises insulin levels. When insulin is raised, lipids are stored as adipose tissue. Therefore, if you repeatedly eat fat and carb meals (as per the average American) you will take on said figure.

brickt.
03-27-2006, 07:39 PM
basically, eating carbs raises insulin levels.

Yes, we know.

When insulin is raised, lipids are stored as adipose tissue.

And, no, it doesn't.

Built
03-27-2006, 07:44 PM
That's certainly has been the Berardi take on this, yes.

I had long ascribed to this notion, but my understanding has shifted somewhat. My feeling is that the effect on body composition may not be NEARLY as pronounced as the effect on appetite, at least for some of us. Carbs + fat (especially with little or no protein) makes a lot of us overeat in an uncontrolled fashion. And that most DEFINITELY makes a body FAT!

Since carbs are ergogenic for lifting, but personally hunger-inducing, I target them around my lifts. If there are body recomposition perks to this approach, I welcome them. If there aren't, I will continue to eat this way becase it helps me control what I eat.

My .02

Silverback
03-28-2006, 02:18 AM
Great post(s)!! Built :)

I like the separating of the C & F's for the reason that lyle McDonald stated, it helps to keep control of calories.

If you eat 3 macro's at one meal there is more chance of eating more calories than you need for your particular goal. But if you separate it makes it easier to CONTROL what your taking in,

I also like Antony;s approach where he uses; meats, nuts, fruits and veggies as staples then the other 10% can be less strict.

ArchAngel777
03-28-2006, 08:30 AM
I know many experts like Beraldi champion this cause of eating proteins with carbs or proteins with fats.

Why exactly is eating Carbs with Fat a bad meal?

I dont practice eating it, but I would kind of like to know why.

Just had to laugh a bit how you spelled Beradi... I mispell too, so don't think I am laughing at you... I just was thinking, what if we called him Beraldo? :D I find that funny....

kad
03-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I like to separate p+c and p+f meals too, mostly for appetite control. Carbs make me hungry. I tend to reserve them for the post workout period when my body needs them for recovery. It's also my understanding that eating p+f meals after a little SS cardio in the morning up until an evening workout works better for stabilizing insulin levels throughout the day, creating an optimal environment for fatloss. At least it's been working for me, so that's just my two cents. I had a link to the articles on rugged mag to support this, but their database seems to be MIA right now. I'll dig it up later.

Built
03-28-2006, 02:03 PM
I've read those Rugged articles too, Jordan.

I think there is truth to this, but not as a religion. I pretty much eat the same way as Anthony does, from what I've read of his posts. Okay, maybe not the OJ... :windup: ;)

kad
03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I stay away from the OJ too. ;)

Rugged's database came back up, so I grabbed the links if anyone's interested:

Maximum Muscularity Part 1 (http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=2&a=6)
Maximum Muscularity Part 2 (http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=3&a=3)

UrbanSmooth
03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
If you're a skinny guy, and you're bulking, do you really need to worry about this? I would think eating anything healthy to maintain caloric intake would be good.

Built
03-28-2006, 06:20 PM
And you'd probably be right.

:)