PDA

View Full Version : How important are carbs while cutting?

MeHoW
03-27-2006, 04:12 PM
How many carbs (% wise) should a good cutting diet consist of?

My current split is
Fat: 17%
Carbs: 53%
Protein: 30%
Varying the calories but between 2200-2600.

How does it look to you?

Built
03-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Don't think % - think grams.

MeHoW
03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Ok in that case how many grams, for my weight being roughly 160?

I was reading the cutting routine and it states about 100-200g. Thats a wide range any way to narrow that down for my weight ?

ddegroff
03-27-2006, 04:24 PM
i hit the 1g/lb for protein, .5g for fat, then i fill in the rest for carbs. 100g on rest days 150g on workoutdays.

Jordanbcool
03-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Ok in that case how many grams, for my weight being roughly 160?

I was reading the cutting routine and it states about 100-200g. Thats a wide range any way to narrow that down for my weight ?

I like to work with percentages. I recently found out that if you dont have enough carbs on a lift day during a cut (unless you supplement) your workouts will suck. Try this.

45% Protein (I like to keep mine high)
25% Fat (Natural peanut butter is great for this)
30% Carbs (whole wheat pasta, bread etc.)

I like my carbs, I like my protein. I dont like fat. But thats just me. Really built is right because you can fart around with the percentages all you want. As long as your grams are in order and your calories are in check it dosent really matter what the percentages are.

-jordan

Built
03-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Jordon, why do you like the percentage approach so much? Don't you find it rather odd to anchor something as important as essential macronutrients to something as arbitrary as total calories?

Jordanbcool
03-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Jordon, why do you like the percentage approach so much? Don't you find it rather odd to anchor something as important as essential macronutrients to something as arbitrary as total calories?

Simplicity.

-jordan

Built
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Except it's not simple.

Anchoring protein and fat to total calories means you'll eat more protein on a bulk than a cut, and if you're a hard gainer, and have to eat 6000 cals a day, this means you're likely to overeat protein.

It also means on a cut you'll eat LESS protein, at the very time you need MORE.

Jordanbcool
03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Except it's not simple.

Anchoring protein and fat to total calories means you'll eat more protein on a bulk than a cut, and if you're a hard gainer, and have to eat 6000 cals a day, this means you're likely to overeat protein.

It also means on a cut you'll eat LESS protein, at the very time you need MORE.

I dont follow them that rigidly. Everything for me is very flexable. As long as you have enough to support your bodyweight (i think mines like 190 grams) you shouldnt have to worry about muscle breakdown so much. Like i said though, its mainly because its alot simpler to explain to people to give them a rough percentage then exact grams.

-jordan

Built
03-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I think a lot of the confusion surrounding this has been caused by the food pyramid/food guide. Percentages based on total calories are as meaningful as macronutrients targeted to LBM if your calories remain stable. But we're BB - our cals do NOT remain stable.

No point using something that isn't really true just because it's simple.

And it's not exactly difficult to target a minimum of a gram of protein per pound LBM, and a minimum of half a gram of fat per pound LBM.

Hell, even GURLS can do it... ;)

Jordanbcool
03-27-2006, 08:38 PM
I think a lot of the confusion surrounding this has been caused by the food pyramid/food guide. Percentages based on total calories are as meaningful as macronutrients targeted to LBM if your calories remain stable. But we're BB - our cals do NOT remain stable.

No point using something that isn't really true just because it's simple.

And it's not exactly difficult to target a minimum of a gram of protein per pound LBM, and a minimum of half a gram of fat per pound LBM.

Hell, even GURLS can do it... ;)

MEH!

Built
03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
;)

JoeyCrack
04-01-2006, 06:08 PM
i remember a few years ago when everything was about percentage breakdowns

Davidelmo
04-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I ahree with Built (lol, suprise suprise)

I found the 1g/lb protein and 0.5g/lb fat has been VERY easy to do.

I'm on a bulk so maybe I dont have to worry as much, but I never worry about ratios of macros in food. If you base your diet on %'s then you're much less flexible with what you can eat because any foods with high numbers or more than one macro is going to throw your % out of whack! Sounds like a load of hassle to me.

I find it easier to say:
I need 4000kcal, at least 200g protein and at least 100g fats every day.

235orbust
04-01-2006, 08:28 PM
fat grams can be really decieving sometimes, i take in about 130g of fat a day by probably 70 of it comes from "good fat" like milk and cheese and peanuts

DokterVet
06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Built, I've noticed on your latest cutting diet, you are taking in WAY more than 1 g per lb of LBM each day. How important is that to a good cut?

I'm 221 lbs (estimated 185 lbm), eating 2600 calories right now at the start of a cut. I've been managing to get around 185 gs of protein per day and I'm going to try to get it up to at least 200. How important is it to get more than 1 g/ lb of LBM?

Also, is 100 g the accepted daily minimum for carbs?

Vapour Trails
06-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Built, I've noticed on your latest cutting diet, you are taking in WAY more than 1 g per lb of LBM each day. How important is that to a good cut?

I'm 221 lbs (estimated 185 lbm), eating 2600 calories right now at the start of a cut. I've been managing to get around 185 gs of protein per day and I'm going to try to get it up to at least 200. How important is it to get more than 1 g/ lb of LBM?

Also, is 100 g the accepted daily minimum for carbs?

Somedays I eat almost zero carbs.

To OP: Reduce the carbs. Your eating in the neighbourhood of 300g + a day? That kind of carb intake is going to suppress fat oxidation during your waking hours.

Built
06-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Doktor, I just LIKE lots of protein. Keeps me feeling fed.

Vapour, can you explain more about how that would work?

HILL
06-14-2006, 03:03 AM
carbs make me hungry even tho i crave them i try to keep them mimited to 100-150 roughly a day