PDA

View Full Version : Lose body fat

Tourniquet
03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Hi I am very new to this and do not know much about bodybuilding or weightlifting, so keep that in mind :)

I have recently started eating mostly vegan and have been losing weight and lots of body fat. I have lost about 17lbs from my previous 180lb weight. I am enjoying this diet but I am concerned about my protein intake. I do get a moderate amount of protein and it is all living protein. However I do not want to start losing muscle instead of fat.

I run 2-5 miles about 2 times a week and usually throw in some situps somewhere.

I have heard a lot about this "cut and bulk up" method of traning. I would like to know what most of you guys eat and how you workout when cutting or bulking.

Thanks

saleen281
03-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Have you considered whey protein powder? Also you need to keep your healthy fats up too when on a cut. Alot of people here will bulk up for a while and then cut as much body fat revealing the muscle put on by the bulk. Since you are not eating meat you could try cottage cheese, milk, whey powder. I cant really think of others but someone else will know since I am not a vegetarian. Also try and keep you lifts low reps and high weight like built recommends, it really worked for me.

TTT
03-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Yeah, you might want to minimize cardio a bit, and keep lifting heavy. And keep the fats up, like saleen said.

Built
03-27-2006, 10:54 PM
What is living protein?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
What is living protein?Erm...it's on you right now?

Built
03-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Ewwwwwwww!

;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Yeah...that sounds kind of gross. :)

carvin77
03-28-2006, 01:51 AM
:cool:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-28-2006, 02:43 AM
:cool:Try adding a little more to your post next time. :whip:

Just a thought.

MJS
03-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Get your diet in check before you consider supplements. All the answers are here, just search and read the WBB articles too. Then ask your questions based on them.

ddegroff
03-28-2006, 09:59 AM
i know this is the nutrition forum, but he never mentioned weight lifting. It sounds like all you do is run, i would suggest doing heavy lifting (check out WBB #1 for starters). The only true way to lose bf and keep muscle is through diet and heavy lifting. I agree you may need some more protein, whey is good, cottage cheese, etc.

Tourniquet
03-29-2006, 06:58 PM
So diet and heavy lifting at the same time is the best way to lose body fat and build muscle?

Living proteins are proteins that you eat that have not been damaged by heat (cooking).

My diet right now is Vegan, which is vegetarian and also no dairy products. I am considering protein supplements but I don't know which ones (whey seems to be popular).

Thanks for eveyones replies, I will search the forums for more answers!

Optimum08
03-29-2006, 07:27 PM
well if you are strictly vegan than whey protein is out of the question because it is derived from milk/cheese making process a la "curds and whey"...

Built
03-29-2006, 07:27 PM
"So diet and heavy lifting at the same time is the best way to lose body fat and build muscle? "

Correct.

Since you're vegan, might I suggest supplementing with both B-12 and creatine? You'll have a hard time getting enough of the former, and a harder time still with the latter since you have no dietary sources of it in plant foods. Vegitarians, and particuarly vegans, often respond very well to creatine. Don't load - just a 5g daily dose of monohydrate (At Large sells it, so do lots of people).

getfit
03-29-2006, 07:28 PM
So diet and heavy lifting at the same time is the best way to lose body fat and build muscle?

Living proteins are proteins that you eat that have not been damaged by heat (cooking).

My diet right now is Vegan, which is vegetarian and also no dairy products. I am considering protein supplements but I don't know which ones (whey seems to be popular).

Thanks for eveyones replies, I will search the forums for more answers!
you can always get soy protein, what's your diet like?

Tourniquet
03-29-2006, 11:16 PM
I am about 75% vegan at the moment. I am a college student and don't really have the luxury of following the diet I want exactly due to economic constraints. In other words, I don't pass up a free meal. I just started reading a few books and decided to try it, I have no moral obligations to my diet and would change it if I thought there were sufficient benefits. Although I tend to get stomach aches and other side effects when I eat improperly combined meals.

I eat a lot of romaine lettuce, spinach, avocados, whole wheat no-yeast tortillas, tomatoes, cucumber, squash, zuchini, a few pistacios, some olive oil lemons juice salt pepper, and a green drink supplement (powdered wheat grass/barley grass etc.) The rest is just dining out occasionally. I don't eat fast food, anything with processed sugar in it, or anything microwaved.

There is so much information out there it is taking me a while to figure some of this out.

Do you guys do cardio when you are lifting weights?

RamblerGuy87
03-29-2006, 11:24 PM
If you do cardio on lifting days do it after the workout, always. you may not make it as far, but you wont hurt yourself when you start to lift.

ddegroff
03-29-2006, 11:33 PM
^^doing cardio afterwards is more effective because you've used most of your glycogen stores. I don't think it has anything to do with injuring yourself.

getfit
03-30-2006, 02:15 AM
I am about 75% vegan at the moment. I am a college student and don't really have the luxury of following the diet I want exactly due to economic constraints. In other words, I don't pass up a free meal. I just started reading a few books and decided to try it, I have no moral obligations to my diet and would change it if I thought there were sufficient benefits. Although I tend to get stomach aches and other side effects when I eat improperly combined meals.

I eat a lot of romaine lettuce, spinach, avocados, whole wheat no-yeast tortillas, tomatoes, cucumber, squash, zuchini, a few pistacios, some olive oil lemons juice salt pepper, and a green drink supplement (powdered wheat grass/barley grass etc.) The rest is just dining out occasionally. I don't eat fast food, anything with processed sugar in it, or anything microwaved.

There is so much information out there it is taking me a while to figure some of this out.

Do you guys do cardio when you are lifting weights?

where's your protein in your diet???

chris mason
03-30-2006, 05:17 AM
Get some Nitrean from AtLarge. It does contain milk and egg based proteins. You get 24g of the best quality protein per serving with a superior net retention when compared to whey-only powders and it tastes and mixes as good as anything on the market.

Tourniquet
03-30-2006, 09:11 AM
where's your protein in your diet???

There is not much. I eat some nuts and tofu but most of the protein comes from veggies. Like I said after reading some of the posts here finding out how much protein you guys eat, I was a little concerned. However I think that living proteins are much more usable by your body and that is how I have been able to get by.

getfit
03-30-2006, 09:54 AM
There is not much. I eat some nuts and tofu but most of the protein comes from veggies. Like I said after reading some of the posts here finding out how much protein you guys eat, I was a little concerned. However I think that living proteins are much more usable by your body and that is how I have been able to get by.
I'm not vegan but vegetarian, i could not function if i didn't have protein in my diet.

ddegroff
03-30-2006, 01:33 PM

You're probably eating the RDA of protein. What we eat around here is much higher than that. Since it seems your "vegan" diet is more of a choice of lifesyle, i would say check out some good whey. That way you'll be able to hit your protein requirements eaiser.