PDA

View Full Version : Eating enough while working...

Haaji Dont Surf
03-29-2006, 07:27 AM
So my girlfriend and mother are making me get a job, so I am thinking about applying for a day time job at the movies... However, I am worried that I won't be able to eat enough at the right times when doing so... Anyone care to enlighten me on perhaps their jobs and how they manage to still eat?

TheLittleGuy
03-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Take your food with you? Assuming you work an 8-hour shift, you could take two protein shakes (on your breaks), a bag of dried fruits & nuts to snack on (throughout your shift) and a proper meal during your lunch break. Call that 700 cals (shakes) + 600 cals (nuts) + 800 cals (lunch) = 2100 cals during your shift. Combine with a good breakfast and dinner, plus snacks, and you'll be able to eat 3500+ cals easily.

Haaji Dont Surf
03-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Take your food with you? Assuming you work an 8-hour shift, you could take two protein shakes (on your breaks), a bag of dried fruits & nuts to snack on (throughout your shift) and a proper meal during your lunch break. Call that 700 cals (shakes) + 600 cals (nuts) + 800 cals (lunch) = 2100 cals during your shift. Combine with a good breakfast and dinner, plus snacks, and you'll be able to eat 3500+ cals easily.
lol sounds easy, I'll just have to see how it all plays out.

oh, i heard somewhere, can't remember where, that protein shakes will break down and the protein will be useless if you let it sit long enough. any truth behind that?

ddegroff
03-29-2006, 10:07 AM
he means put dry whey in a shaker, then add water to it when you want to drink it. That way it wont go bad, pretty sure it wont go bad though.

Its pretty easy to get the cals you need at work, just think for a second and you'll come up with tons of options.

Mercuryblade
03-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Sandwiches. Cheap and good, specifically PBJ (with natty pb and jelly without added cornsyrup). Canned fruit with those easy open tops (also lookout for the added cornsyrup). It's how I survive my long days on campus.

canuck
03-30-2006, 04:13 PM
lol sounds easy, I'll just have to see how it all plays out.

oh, i heard somewhere, can't remember where, that protein shakes will break down and the protein will be useless if you let it sit long enough. any truth behind that?

Is this true? 'cause i make my shake in the morning and drink it throughout the day.

Sidior
03-30-2006, 04:19 PM
how big is your shake?

canuck
03-30-2006, 08:29 PM
three scoops of muscle juice one scoop of whey protein isolate 1 teaspoon of glutamine 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil 2 cups of water 1 cup of skim milk. comes to just over 1000 calories and has around 100g of protein. a bit much to down in one go. makes about three delicious glasses on ice.

AndrewT
03-31-2006, 08:30 AM
I used to work in a movie multiplex and usually got two 15 minute breaks and an hour break for every 8 hours worked. For every 6 and a half hours worked, I would get a thirty minute break and a 15 minute break. For every 4hours worked, I would get one fifteen minute break.

With that being said, depending on where you work in the theater - you might be able to sneak in an additional snack if you work in the box office or as an usher. If you work in the concession stand - forget about it. That's a tight ship - just like any place that sells food. (i.e. restaurant) Because of the health department standards you are not allowed to eat where you serve food.

Working at the movies is a blast. There is always something going on, most people like their job and you get to see movies for free.

The downsides? The pay is terrible - across the board - if you are looking to make a lot of money - the movie multiplex is not the place. In addition, the hours are quite strange. Usually, the operating hours are 11am - 2:30am, or earlier if they do not show midnight movies.

Oh, one more thing. The rank starts like this. 1) Start in the concession stand. 2) Become an usher. 3) Work in the box office.

A good first job - I liked it being 17, 18 years old - good luck.

Best,
Andrew T

Haaji Dont Surf
04-02-2006, 01:57 AM
I used to work in a movie multiplex and usually got two 15 minute breaks and an hour break for every 8 hours worked. For every 6 and a half hours worked, I would get a thirty minute break and a 15 minute break. For every 4hours worked, I would get one fifteen minute break.

With that being said, depending on where you work in the theater - you might be able to sneak in an additional snack if you work in the box office or as an usher. If you work in the concession stand - forget about it. That's a tight ship - just like any place that sells food. (i.e. restaurant) Because of the health department standards you are not allowed to eat where you serve food.

Working at the movies is a blast. There is always something going on, most people like their job and you get to see movies for free.

The downsides? The pay is terrible - across the board - if you are looking to make a lot of money - the movie multiplex is not the place. In addition, the hours are quite strange. Usually, the operating hours are 11am - 2:30am, or earlier if they do not show midnight movies.

Oh, one more thing. The rank starts like this. 1) Start in the concession stand. 2) Become an usher. 3) Work in the box office.

A good first job - I liked it being 17, 18 years old - good luck.

Best,
Andrew T
Thanks, that was some very useful information.. :) I am hoping to get a job that I'll be able to work all day and get off at around 4PM though as that's about when my gf get's out of school and I'd like to have my evenings for her. How easy is it to pick your own hours?

Clifford Gillmore
04-02-2006, 10:35 AM
I take a cooler bag with me to work, liquid shakes I drink while I work - and get down a handful of peanuts from time to time. When I got upto 200lbs I was taking 8 shakes a day on 15h+ shifts.

UrbanSmooth
04-02-2006, 12:53 PM
I take a cooler bag with me to work, liquid shakes I drink while I work - and get down a handful of peanuts from time to time. When I got upto 200lbs I was taking 8 shakes a day on 15h+ shifts.

15 hours? Are you insane?

How big were those shakes?

Antonious
04-02-2006, 01:12 PM
You can do it, I can manage to do it for school eatting meals between passing periods, lunch and on the bus.. look liek a fruit eattin all the time but its well worth it =)

Shao-LiN
04-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Doesn't take much imagination. Assuming you work an 8 hour shift, you should get 2 breaks and a lunch. There's 3 times you can eat already. Eat before going to work in the morning, eat 3 times during work, eat when you get off of work. 5 meals right there.