PDA

View Full Version : Protein Q

addicshunlifter
03-30-2006, 01:28 PM
I heard that if you consume too much protein that it could be bad for the livers, is that true.

ddegroff
03-30-2006, 01:39 PM
first i will say search... (tried but way slow, probably because of ALL the threads on this)

Get 1g/lbm if not 1.5g, thats what I shoot for. I know a lot of people here get a lot more than that. The ammonia is what is bad for your liver, the extra nitrogen is bad for the kidneys (by product of amino acid metabolism). There has been NO studies proving if this is toxic to us.

Davidelmo
03-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Well honestly it IS a reasonable question since most things in excess aren't strictly "good" for us.

What I would say is that people have been using high protein diets for a long time and people certainly adopt more extreme diets than us - (check out my Jay Cutler diet thread for example.) I've never heard of anyone getting kidney failure etc from a high protein diet although that's not to say it could never happen.

I would venture to say that this sort of diet probably isn't best for you if you have pre-existing renal problems. But I'd also say that if you drink enough water to keep your kidneys "flushed" then it shouldn't be a huge problem.

What I'd also say is that our bodies are extremely adaptable and can cope with a lot of extremes of diet.

I'd love to read one though if anyone could offer.

That's all speculation though because as far as I'm aware, I certainly haven't read any studies on the matter.

Eszekial
03-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Probably not any worse then consuming too little protein... And until somebody can tell me exactly what the optimal amount of protein is to keep my liver/kidney pristine, as well as promote/maintain muscle growth, i think i'm going to shoot for an abundance.

brickt.
03-30-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm gonna die from something; may as well be protein overconsuption.

235orbust
03-30-2006, 06:36 PM
i dont know about it being bad for you, but i do know it can cause hellish trips to the bathroom if your not getting enuff water

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Drink plenty of water.