PDA

View Full Version : How to get enough protein WITHOUT supplement?

Boson
03-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to follow the advice of consuming 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. So in my case, it'd be 190grams of protein per day.
(I'm trying to bulk up, not slim down.)

I don't take any supplements, other than my daily multi-vitamin centrum.
For breakfast, my protein comes from two eggs and two slices of bacon, and milk. For lunch, my protein comes from turkey breast sandwich or ham sandwhich. For dinner, I have a generous steak or pork chop or chicken. I try to squeeze in protein everywhere I can.

I look at the labels of all the foods I eat. If I add up all the proteins, I only get a maximum of about 100grams daily, if that.

Is it humanly possible to achieve the 190grams daily without supplements, while maintaining a balanced diet? Or is the advice already implying the necessity for protein shake supplement?

getfit
03-30-2006, 06:08 PM
tuna, chicken, cottage cheese, milk etc..

Unreal
03-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I can easily get 300-350g a day with no supplements. Fish, cottage cheese are both protein packed easy sources. 2 eggs is nothing. Try 4-6 egg whites with 2 whole eggs. Eat 1-2 cups of cottage cheese before bed. Thats an easy 28-56g of protein right there. A can or two of tuna. Its easy!!!!

Sensei
03-31-2006, 05:50 AM
I'm sure some will disagree, but I don't think you need 1g/lb. Try to get 1g/kg and you should somehow manage not to shrivel up and blow away...

Drinking milk with every meal would give you another (at least) 50grams for the day.

Shao-LiN
03-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Well, purely from what your body "needs", no it doesn't need 1 gram per pound. It's the safer suggestion since it's a nice round number and all you'd really have to do is look at how much you weigh. Makes sure you get what your body needs and then some, more or less.

Bob
03-31-2006, 07:15 AM
A handful of nuts here and there.. especially almonds are good for you..
Sprinkle low-fat real-cheese on stuff...

TheGimp
03-31-2006, 07:20 AM
I'm sure we're all familiar with the fact that Dr Lemon concluded 0.8g / lb of bodyweight is needed for an individual that performs resistance training on a regular basis, and that this value is rounded to 1g / lb for convenience.

OP: try eating more.

Skinny Fat
03-31-2006, 09:51 AM
1 12 oz can of solid white albacore, which I keep a store of in my desk drawer:

~75g protein.

Eat that for lunch, and you're well on your way.

Holto
03-31-2006, 10:09 AM
For the first time in my life I'm on a diet using only 1 shake a day. I have to say it's been great.

Meal 1: Whey
Meal 2: Fish (if this is your lunch at work then a can of tuna)
Meal 3: Chicken
Meal 4: Cottage Cheese

I have never felt better.

Buzzsaw
03-31-2006, 04:36 PM
I love my protein shakes, but as others have said, if you spread out your meals and get 50G's per meal, you'll be right there.

Sensei
03-31-2006, 11:06 PM
I'm sure we're all familiar with the fact that Dr Lemon concluded 0.8g / lb of bodyweight is needed for an individual that performs resistance training on a regular basis, and that this value is rounded to 1g / lb for convenience.

OP: try eating more.
Yes, of course - Lemon's .7-.8grams/lb figure just about everywhere. While I agree that athletes have greater protein requirements (who wouldn't?), I just don't buy that anyone except perhaps elite athletes training at their limit require excessive amounts of protein to grow.

Seriously, do most of you get 2grams/lb of bdwt day-in and day-out?

Optimum08
04-01-2006, 12:32 AM
its just really easy to shoot for 1g/lb. of bodyweight, is it all needed? probably not, but its better than going protein deficient.

to to OP: like everyone else said just start eating more meat, fish, cochee, milk, etc to get to your protein goal, the only reason many of us use shakes is cuz its easier and more convenient as a protein source.

ddegroff
04-01-2006, 01:33 AM
Yes, of course - Lemon's .7-.8grams/lb figure just about everywhere. While I agree that athletes have greater protein requirements (who wouldn't?), I just don't buy that anyone except perhaps elite athletes training at their limit require excessive amounts of protein to grow.

I have seen this all over. In my nut sports performance class i read a study that said strength training and athletes should get about 1.6-1.7g/kg of body weight (~.8/lb). We also went over that 2g/kg (~1g/lb) was the upper limit for anybody and any more was just used as energy or pissed out (she did say that there are NO studies saying to much protein is bad). Now my question is this all of these studies we read are done on strength training (~reps 3-6) has anybody seen any studies done on BB working in the hypertophy range (~8-12 reps)? I would think atheletes putting their muscles through this kind of training would require more amino acids etc. Any ideas?