PDA

View Full Version : Tabata on DE day.

Clifford Gillmore
03-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Is the Tabata Protocol acceptable as speed work, infering of course I'm doing a weighted exercise. Ie:

Tabata front box squats (chains from time to time) intervals of;
20 seconds
Rest 20 sec
20 seconds
Rest 30 seconds
20 seconds
Rest 40 seconds
20 seconds

Its not likely I'll be able to get more than 15 reps in 20 seconds, unless I use a high as the sky box (No. Just no.).

Any thoughts on this?

Sensei
03-31-2006, 05:37 AM
I thought it was 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, repeat.

IMHO, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are after strength-endurance or just looking to mix it up, then go for it. But, I wouldn't qualify it as speed work.

Clifford Gillmore
03-31-2006, 05:44 AM
Well, after a first session of it - I agree. Exploding of the box feels alot more effective than simply going atf as fast as I can, but I can't say until I do it for at least a few weeks and compare my PRs.

Anthony
03-31-2006, 05:52 AM
Tabata = 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest.

I don't think this would qualify as speed work in terms of powerlifting. It's definitely HIIT and will probably destroy your quads if you've never done it before.

Isaac Wilkins
03-31-2006, 06:21 AM
Sensei and Anthony are correct. While I wouldn't necessarily outlaw Tabatta (20 sec on/10 off) for a powerlifter it isn't going to be much of a speed workout. Yes you're moving fast but you're not training your CNS to be explosive which is the point of the dynamic effort. Remember: DYNAMIC EFFORT, not SPEED DAY.

Clifford Gillmore
03-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Tony: Yeah, quads got burned :/
Bor: Completely forgot about the DE not being speed, heads up app. :)