PDA

View Full Version : Olive, Flax seed, Cod Liver, Coconut, Sesame, Salmon, Shark Oils ...

eps
04-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I recently got off my PSMF diet and I'm back into a traditional way of eating. I need about 50g-75g of fat per day and I tend to incorporate my fats as liquids into my protein shakes.

--
If you were to make a protein shake (say for a P+F meal) including one or more of these oils listed in the title, which would be best?

I've been using olive oil + natty pb for the longest time now and wouldn't mind exploring other options.
--

I'm considering _not_ using flax seed since I've read that the body needs to convert the flax in order to get the fatty nutrients -- is this really much of an issue for its consumption?

As far as the fish oils, although the fat content comes directly, the vitamin A and D content seems to be high and is probably toxic when trying to get enough fats in the range of grams showed above. Shark oil interested me when reading about alkylglycerols.

I've read about coconut oil being a plentiful source medium chain triglycerides which speed up metabolism.

And then, there's sesame oil with the lignan sesamin which is also praised for its own benefits.

I'm certain there are other oils I didn't mention and would be glad to hear about them if you'd like to contribute.

cphafner
04-01-2006, 08:49 PM
I prefer olive.

Bohizzle
04-01-2006, 09:01 PM
i think fish oil in a shake would be utterly disgusting, i go with cphafner on this one, olive oil's where it's at

eps
04-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I was leaning against the flax and fish oils, but olive oil doesn't taste all that great either.

Edit: I'm not too concerned about the taste, the nutrition content was my point for the post

brickt.
04-01-2006, 10:48 PM
I think coconut oil and macadamia nut oil work really well in shakes, makes them taste awesome.

Clifford Gillmore
04-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Brickt. got the nail fair and square with Macadamia nut oil. Its sweet, but can be very expensive.

Davidelmo
04-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Olive oil is best in shakes.. you dont even taste it.

Fish oil on the other hand... you you imagine peanut buttery, oaty, fish?

gator
04-02-2006, 11:53 AM
When cutting I would recommend 3fish oils + 1 sesamin caps 3x a day. Or you could even do 2 fish oils 2 CLA + 1 sesamin 3x a day.

Beast
04-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I think olive oil tastes good in shakes. Try it out.

Phelon
04-02-2006, 02:21 PM
i dont even taste olive oil in my shakes

eps
04-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I think getting sesamin and fish oils through capsules would be much easier.

I never used coconut or macadamia nut oil. I'll try to look for/use some soon and give my thoughts on it.

Stackattack
04-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I like both olive and flax in my shakes. Neither are overpoweringly strong and both taste reasonably pleasent IMO.