PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe I'm doing this, but I'd like opinions..

Patz
04-01-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm part-way through what I hope will be my last major cut. Right now, I'm sitting at 6'1, 213lbs. By appearances, my bodyfat looks like 75% and I can't figure out if it's just me or if I'm really a lot farther from my goal than I think.

I have calipers and if they're even close to accurate, then my lean mass is something like 170. When I look at my pics, I feel like that's easily accurate. I can see real muscle mass there, and I see a real difference from the pics taken at the end of my last cut in July. I sometimes wonder if it's higher, as I'm actually afraid my delts are going to suffocate me in sleep some night..lol

But, if my LBM is 170, that means once I drop 23 more pounds (and get to 190) I should be 11%...

Sometimes, when I look in the mirror I think this is possible, because I don't look nearly this obese in the mirror (and hopefully in person). But, looking at the pics, I just feel FAT.

Do you all think that, 23 pounds from now, I'll be in the vicinity of seeing my abs? I mean, if I make it 30 pounds and get to, say, 183, then I should be at 7-8%, which would be a fantastic point to start my first-ever bulk and see what I can really do in the gym.

I just feel like I'm soooo far away sometimes. Is it all in my head?

To make myself feel better, the first pic is me @ 241 a little over a year ago. Wow..I don't even look very healhy..lol I had been lifting, but not cutting, for about 4 months at that point. I've done three cuts now, including the one I'm currently doing, for the record.

Patz
04-01-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry, my back is kinda of a mess, but I tend to break out when I'm in a big calorie deficit like I am currently..

sharkall2003
04-01-2006, 09:16 PM
You really do look a few pounds over 213, but maybe that's becuase I weight 219 and I think I am leaner. Not trying to be an a-hole or anything. I'm sure once you lose some more fatty tissues you will look great.

RBB
04-01-2006, 09:17 PM
elwood, let me start off by saying you've made some damn nice progress in a little over a year. excellent work, man. if you drop 20 more lbs you should be able to see some abs. 30 lbs, and there is no doubt you'll be seeing them. is that your goal right now?

i guess it always seems like we're far away from where we would like to be. i know i always feel like that. anyone into this lifestyle probably feels the same way. looks like you're on the right track, bro. drop that weight and you'll see some abs.

Beast
04-01-2006, 09:23 PM
I hope you're really happy with your progress, man!

Just keep at it and keep those numbers coming down. It takes time, but you'll get there.

Built
04-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Being fat sucks - it really takes a while before you can see what you're working with under the flub, and it seems to take for freaking EVER.

That being said, you've clearly made excellent progress.

Now, what is your diet like at the moment? And your program?

Patz
04-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks a lot guys. A couple of you are like, WBB legends! LOL

I look again, in comparison to that original pic, and I can see that I almost look like a bodybuilder from the back. Organichu mentioned my long torso giving me a different look when at a higher bf%, and I can definitely agree with that. My stomach and chest just always look SO fat in pics, and it's easy to get discouraged. I'm dying to actually bulk, and put on some real mass for once, but I HAVE to get lean. I've never been lean..I've never seen my abs..I've always been the kid in the "husky" section, since I was 10.

Patz
04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Being fat sucks - it really takes a while before you can see what you're working with under the flub, and it seems to take for freaking EVER.

That being said, you've clearly made excellent progress.

Now, what is your diet like at the moment? And your program?

Thanks, Built. Another legend!

I'm currently doing 2300 calories a day, which up until the last couple days was entirely shakes. 5 shakes a day...

2 with whey and 8oz skim
1 with whey, 8oz skim, and 1 serving of olive oil
1 with whey, 8oz whole milk, 1/2 cup oats (pre workout), 4tsp dextrose
1 with whey, 8oz skim, 1/3 cup oats, 4tsp dextrose (post workout)

I take 3 fish oil caps with every shake, and a multi once a day.

This is pretty much standard for the three days I lift, and I'm doing either crossfit, cardio, or basketball on my off days. On the non-lifting days, I usually don't put any oats or dextrose in the shake after my exercise.

I've dropped about 8lbs (after the initial water-weight drop) since March 11.

Now, I'm gonna keep the diet the same, but eat a meal of the same caloric value for dinner every couple days to keep me sane. The cravings are incredible sometimes, but I'm really just not in a place in my life where I can deal with even the most minimal food prep right now. This works well for me..

Oh, my program is a traditional split..

Monday - Legs/Shoulders

Squats
SLDL
Leg Press

Standing Military Press, from floor - This is all the shoulders I do. Iffy rotator one side, and they kinda overpower everything as it is.

Wednesday - Chest/Tri's

BB Bench
Decline Bench
CGBP
EZ Bar Decline Skullcrushers
Triceps Pressdown

Friday or Saturday - Back/Bi's

Deadlifts
DB Rows
Good Mornings - I know this hits the hammies, but I need to do it on a day other than legs, to aid my core stability.

Weighted Situps

Standing EZ Bar Curls

briancurran01
04-01-2006, 09:54 PM
you can tell a HUGE difference in the Pics pat. You have made a hell of a lot of progress

Roark
04-01-2006, 10:29 PM
great progress man

just stay persistent and you'll get to where you want to be

Canadian Crippler
04-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Awesome progress, keep it up sucka.

You need another back exercise in there. I'd toss in a vertical row (chins, lat pulldowns)

Built
04-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Okay, so a three-day split. What kind of volume are we looking at, and how much weight?

And forgive me - I DO like my chewable food - what all are you doing for fiber?

drew
04-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Your progress is awesome. Keep it going and listen to Built.

Also, never listen to me when it comes to food. I will make you fatter :D

Relentless
04-01-2006, 11:57 PM
I think the progress looks great, man.

Just eyeballing it, I would say your calipers are roughly on track, maybe estimating a smidge low. We have similar builds in that I too am 6'1" and have a long torso and a large ribcage. I would say that if you drop 30lbs of primarily fat, you have a decent shot at having your abs visible.

I know your pain though, man.
When I finally decided to get things rolling, I was 255 and at heinous BF%. I got fit again and then did a hard TKD cut a couple of years back and got down around 192 or so, and at that weight, my stomach was flat and showing the outline of the abs but not properly "abby" (there's a pics thread around somewhere; I had a cutting contest with ElPietro). I stopped at that point but I think if I'd gone down to 180, the ol' abs would have poked through more sharply, for sure.

The most frustrating thing for me is that my stomach and obliques area is the first place I gain fat and the last place I lose it. You may be in the same boat. :( Sucks but ah well. The up side is that your chest will always be massive. :)

I'm also with Built on the chewable food; there are low-GI options out there to add some chewy fibre to some protein and fat: you may want to get on with some of that to keep your body and mind sane. I do shakes pre and post-workout and real food the rest.

I'm leaning out for summer myself, starting very shortly. Hit me up on PM if you want to compare notes or whatever.

Patz
04-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Brian and Roark - Thanks for the props. I need all the ego-boosting I can get..lol

Mitch - I put it down that way, but I usually have a third back movement. I just haven't found one I like, and I absolutely hate lat pulls and assisted pullups. I'd rather do pullups when I can actually DO pullups on my own. Last session, we did seated rows, which I like OK. I'll find something to keep permanent, eventually. I'd rather do some T-bars, if I can find a free handle and unoccupied corner.

Built - I go as heavy as I'm comfortable with. I'm cutting, so I'm not making a ton of progress, but I haven't lost anything really. I really don't think I've ever lost a bit of muscle on any cut I've done. My strength usually doesn't move much, and it rebounds in just a few weeks of maintenance eating.

As far as reps, I stick with the traditional stuff for deads, starting with small sets, and ending with heavy singles. I finally have my form correct on those, so I expect to set PR's for a couple more months.

SLDL is generally a few more reps per set, and I don't generally go to singles.

For chest, I stick with sets of 5, and really haven't increased or decreased my strength since I started the cut. I'm pretty sure I've done about all I can do there without bulking (or at least a structured powerlifting routine that isn't part of the plan right now), but a 100lb increase in my bench over a year of maintaining and cutting isn't bad.

My rows are 3 sets of 8, increasing the weight as I get an 8 rep max on the third set. I've actually been setting PR's on these for several weeks, even during the cut.

Squats were a real problem for a while, but now that my spine isn't constantly hurting for 3 days after deadlifting I can actually keep the barbell stable. Add to that the benefit of the GM's and Ab work I've tossed in this month, and my squat numbers have FINALLY started going where they should be. I generally start with sets of 5, and end up with heavy sets of 2-3, since I'm still kind of figuring out what I'm capable of now with a more solid core.

All my other pressing is sets of 5. The military press, I do a couple extra sets since it's all I'm doing.

And, I do 4 sets of 6 EZ curls after my back workout, increasing the weight after I can do those sets with the same weight for each one.

I don't waste any time between sets, or movements. I'm easily one of the most intense people in the gym. I get there well after a lot of people, and leave well before them. I've noticed a real difference in my appearance, and overall well-being since I starting just hitting it hard. It's rare that I'm ever there more than 60 minutes, even with a workout partner.

Patz
04-02-2006, 01:11 AM
I think the progress looks great, man.

Just eyeballing it, I would say your calipers are roughly on track, maybe estimating a smidge low. We have similar builds in that I too am 6'1" and have a long torso and a large ribcage. I would say that if you drop 30lbs of primarily fat, you have a decent shot at having your abs visible.

I know your pain though, man.
When I finally decided to get things rolling, I was 255 and at heinous BF%. I got fit again and then did a hard TKD cut a couple of years back and got down around 192 or so, and at that weight, my stomach was flat and showing the outline of the abs but not properly "abby" (there's a pics thread around somewhere; I had a cutting contest with ElPietro). I stopped at that point but I think if I'd gone down to 180, the ol' abs would have poked through more sharply, for sure.

The most frustrating thing for me is that my stomach and obliques area is the first place I gain fat and the last place I lose it. You may be in the same boat. :( Sucks but ah well. The up side is that your chest will always be massive. :)

I'm also with Built on the chewable food; there are low-GI options out there to add some chewy fibre to some protein and fat: you may want to get on with some of that to keep your body and mind sane. I do shakes pre and post-workout and real food the rest.

I'm leaning out for summer myself, starting very shortly. Hit me up on PM if you want to compare notes or whatever.

I have no idea where I gain fat first, but it's probably there. I've been a chunk since I was a kid. I always seem to carry weight pretty evenly, though. I've never just been that guy with the huge gut--even at 265. And you're dead-on about the ribcage! Ha! I feel like a barrel sometimes!

Oh, you and Built both mentioned fiber. I get all the "action" I need from the oats I take in. I was going to take some Citrucel if I needed it, but things have been fantastic. I was actually quite surprised.

I think I'm gonna stick with this "shakes during the day, clean dinner on the off days" thing and see where it takes me. My stomach is really holding up well to this thing. I was afraid I would get the runs on my first solid meal, but it's like I never stopped eating. I seem just fine, going from liquid for days to solid for a meal or two--or whatever. But, eating something I can chew a little more often will make this easier to stick with. It's working great, and I can see myself hanging with it until I hit the goal.

brickt.
04-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Woodie,

I'm gonna be brutally honest with you... you've made a ****load of progress since that original pic.

All I can say is: whatever you're doing or have been doing is working, stick to it buddy, and those elusive abdominal and oblique muscle will be yours in due time.

PS: Abs are overrated ;)

getfit
04-02-2006, 04:40 AM
Pat, i'm stunned, you've made excellent progress, you should be so proud. :)

Stumprrp
04-02-2006, 07:46 AM
EXCELLENT progress PAT! ive also always been husky and wanted to bulk horribly bad, keep working man and we will both make our goals, be lean, and bulk to no end.

Clifford Gillmore
04-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Your front delts are massive!

phatmonky
04-02-2006, 10:50 AM
man, your shoulders are the size of my head! No shame! You have made good progress and just need to keep slimming down. Nothing wrong at all!

Patz
04-02-2006, 04:16 PM
BrickT - Thanks a lot, man. Abs are not overrated, though! I don't need the ridiculous abs, but I want ABS!!

Sylvia - I really appreciate it. I am proud, so I hope no one got me wrong. I didn't even realize myself until I looked at the pics a few times, but I DO have some sort of body in there, firghting to get out..lol

Stump - Thanks, man. You're right, we'll get there..then, we'll bulk like beasts!

Risk - I have no idea why, truly.

Phatmonky - Thanks a lot, man. Sometimes, a little pick-me-up is all we need.

Patz
04-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh, and Mitch wanted to know why I had chocolate on my stomach, just above my navel. That's a birthmark. A mole-cluster, map of the Hawaiian Islands!

MeHoW
04-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Wow amazing progress. I feel your pain man I just started running/lifting at the end of January.

Think about it this way, take however old you are and think of it as one long bulk, and think of now being a short(compared to rest of your life) cut.

My sizes are in my sig, but yeah, amazing progress and keep it up. It takes forever to start seeing things. It's been a good 2 months of on/off running/biking/lifting etc and im just starting to see big diffrences like seeing muscle in my forearms, chest, etc.

Keep it up, we'll get there eventually. It's not like there's a deadline for this lol

cosmicdebree88
04-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Wow, very big difference from that first pic! I would throw in some cutting tips, but honestly, I suck at cutting... As someone said earlier the shoulders are lookin very big. Keep it up, I see abs in your future :thumbup:

ArchAngel777
04-02-2006, 05:44 PM
First thing... Congrats! Second thing... Don't give up.

You have made excellent progress. Just like BUILT said above, it seems to taking forever when you are starting out at such a high body fat percentage. If it means anything to you, when I started I looked like your 241 picture too. Now, I have lost a total of 53 pounds officially and I can say that things do start to clean up pretty well.

Looking at you and being honest, I'd say you should plan to cut down to 180. I know that sounds like such a long ways away, but there is about where your are really going to shine in my opinion. At about 180, I'd say you would be close to 10% - 14% range....

Major different from the first picture to the second picture... If that doesn't tive your encouragement, not sure what will... Awesome change so far. You probably feel more athletic? I sure did...

Good luck bud, and thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Keep the faith, keep the cut, you will be happy. At least, that is what people tell me... LOL... :D

ArchAngel777
04-02-2006, 05:51 PM
One more thing, I just had want to mention that you might be a good candidate for a PSMF type diet. It sounds hard, but the weight loss goes pretty quick.

I was 260 as of November 7th, 2005 and by March 18th, 2006 I was 207 and I didn't look to lose any LBM and may have gained some. That is roughtly 4.5 months of hard work (didn't starve myself though, nor did I take it as extreme as PSMF). So, if you are looking to stay with the program, avoid cheating and figuring out foods that make you full while containing fewer calories, then you can speed this up. I start my second official cut here in a week, where I will be tightening up the diet further and hope to go from 200 to 175ish in the next three months.

Anyway, basically just letting you know that the weight can come off faster if you want it too and if you do it right, not much or any of it should be LBM.

rookiebldr
04-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Pat, you've done great thus far. I also thinks it helps seeing someone in person since I don't think those pictures do you justice.

I've been cutting and bulking for 5 years and have yet to see abs although I've come close (I think). I would encourage you to cut a bit longer until you feel more comfortable because you will want that extra room to bulk up before it gets to you.

Definitely keep at it, Pat you're doing well.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-03-2006, 01:00 AM
You're makin' good progress, dude. Don't be discouraged. You've got so many great things ahead of you. Just keep at it and go forth strong!

...and stuff...

Sidior
04-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Fantastic progress, the change from the first pic to the rest is truly impressive bud. You are on the right track and I can wholeheartedly believe that abs will be there with the loss of another 25lbs. Keep up the great work.

Patz
04-03-2006, 06:03 AM
MeHow, Cosmicdebree, Sidior...thanks a lot, all of you. I appreciate it.

Archangel - Thanks man. I did PSMF for a month, last summer. That was cut #2, with a final total loss of 16lbs. I won't do it that way again. I was always hurt, always tired, and eventually stopped lifting out of sheer exhaustion. I still have a bad rotator from that diet..lol The cut I'm doing now is working well enough--I just need to see it through to the end goal. I just got frustrated when I took the progress pics. I'm honestly afraid for the weight to come off any faster, cause I might end up with some loose skin. I think the biggest problem is that I look much worse from the front than the side, due to having such love handles. My chest is actually something like 45 inches, while my stomach (around the navel) is only about 40. I think around the hip-bone, it's less than 38 inches now. I need to recheck all of it.

Rook - Thanks, dude. I agree, I look more svelte in person, but it's nice to have someone who's met me to notice that..lol I intend to keep with it until I'm pretty damned lean.

Here's another..I was actually 25lbs HEAVIER than that first pic at one time. Actually, it was December 29, 2002 (wonder how I know that..lol). I didn't drop down to 245 until LATE 2003.

Bob
04-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Awesome progress Pat!! Pictures are worth a 1000 words.. and most of the folks have given you those words... there is a big difference.

Built is giving great advice (as usual).. so just keep with the program.. and your goals will be reached. Remember though, you may hit another plateau or 2 to get there... don't be discouraged... just continue to shake up the program and diet.. and post some more pictures. We'll let you know how you are doing... and get those spirits high.

BTW.. I don't think you mentioned sleep... are you getting enough? You look a little tired in those newer pictures.

Good luck and keep it up..

Anthony
04-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Huge progress Patti. Don't lose site of your goal!!

Mik
04-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Pat, you should be proud of the progress you've made so far. Your delts look huge! Just stick with what you've been doing, it's obviously worked.

Patz
04-03-2006, 03:08 PM
bearwolf - Thanks man. I actually dont' get consistent full night's sleep. Some nights I get 7-8 hours, and others (like last night) I get 5. I really need to get strict with myself, and set a no-exceptions bedtime. Those pics, though, were taken after I had been at work all day. I hadn't had a lot of sleep the night before, either. I knew I was pretty dry, so I had my brother snap some shots before I had a solid meal.

Anthony - Thanks. That means a lot coming from another hall-of-famer.

Mik - Thanks, man. that's good advice, because I probably will stall again at some point. I'll stick with it, though. I've stated a lot of cuts, but this is only the tird time I've been mentally ready to do it and stick with it. It honestly takes me bieng in a certain place in life, or some event to get me in the mindset to get strict. Ths time, it was seeing everyone at the Arnold. It was inspriational, to say the least.

getfit
04-03-2006, 03:13 PM
wedding pic is great Pat, you've got a great smile :D

i like you better now though :)

Patz
04-03-2006, 03:29 PM
wedding pic is great Pat, you've got a great smile :D

i like you better now though :)

thanks! haha..that pic is not only scanned, but i had to degrade the quality to get it under 100k to post it. we both look like we're asleep from the degradation.

I never smile with my teeth, though. I've GOT to work on that!

And for the record, that's me @ 265, 23 years old. damn..

Shark
04-03-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm jealous of your cutting progress hommie. I'm turning into a fatty.

Davidelmo
04-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Awesome progress.. keep it up!

HahnB
04-03-2006, 05:16 PM
thanks! haha..that pic is not only scanned, but i had to degrade the quality to get it under 100k to post it. we both look like we're asleep from the degradation.

I never smile with my teeth, though. I've GOT to work on that!

And for the record, that's me @ 265, 23 years old. damn..

You look so much better and I can imagine how hard it must be to cut that much weight, keep going because it will all be worth it in the end. As for the smiling, I do the same thing and I'm sure you've heard all the annoying comments about "why dont you smile more", or "what's wrong"? I guess we aren't the type of people that walk around with a huge smile 24/7.

aarongaskill
04-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Great Progress!!!

trasmi21
04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Keep busting your ass! Keep the eyes on the prize! Very nice progress man, keep working hard.

HelpMeLift
04-03-2006, 07:23 PM
seriously man take some pride in your progress! i can definitely see good changes. good luck to you and i hope you reach all your goals! peace

Geeper
04-03-2006, 07:35 PM
You're doing great man, absolutely no question about that.

3 things I noticed about the pics right away
- Your shoulders are massive and I'm jealous
- You look much thinning from front to back than in your first pic. From side to side you've lost weight and inches (there's no question) but I think you are like me and carry a lot of weight from front to back and I think that's where you've lost a lot of it.
-You look depressed in the first pic, and you don't anymore. So I bet it's helping you mentally as well.

I have NO IDEA how you can survive on liquid alone. I'm always hungry, liquid just wouldn't cut it for me, even if I wish it would. NEVER forget that 1/2 the guys on here (or any BB site) are 120lbs and would kill to have 1/2 your size. Keeping that in mind can keep you positive and focused on the weight loss being YOUR GOAL.

At 190lbs, at your height and knowing you are working out seriously and adding muscle... I don't think there is any doubt you can hit those abs in 20-25lbs.

BTW- I know I don't post as much as I should around here, but I do read the new posts on the site everyday and you've really brought a lot to the site in the last little while( It seems like you are posting a lot more lately). I really enjoy your posts...

Focused70
04-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Back, delts and legs are your best parts. Legs are especially THICK.

Just don't do PSMF and you'll be fine. :)

Patz
04-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Chris - Thanks a lot, bro. Means a lot to me..

Davidelmo - Thanks man.

HahnB - Thanks..It does suck to start so heavy, but I guess we all have to start somewhere. And, damnit, I will learn to smile like a pro!

aarongaskill - Thank you.

trasmi - Thanks a lot.

helpmelift - I do take pride..lol Just got on the frustration ledge for a minute!

Geeper - Wow..very kind words, man, I'm touched! <wipes away a single tear> Seriously, I appreciate the multi-faceted compliment. And you're dead-on, I am carrying a nice amount of muscle for never having bulked, so I'm quite happy with how things are shaping up. I'm just getting tired of squeezing this play-doh!

Soba - Thank you, sir. Those are some flattering compliments!

Patz
04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
And Geeper, you're right. I was still kinda depressed there. I was working my way out of it at that point, though. I was a real mess about 6 months before that. The biggest difference in those two pics, is that I got laid between them!

Built
04-03-2006, 10:13 PM
And Geeper, you're right. I was still kinda depressed there. I was working my way out of it at that point, though. I was a real mess about 6 months before that. The biggest difference in those two pics, is that I got laid between them!

Only the one time?

Patz
04-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Only the one time?

No. But what a difference even the one makes!

Built
04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Amen to that!

ericg
04-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Nice work bro. Awesome progress. You still following a mostly liquid diet?

John04Civic
04-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey man.. GREAT progress, my first reaction was.. Whoa! When I saw your after pic. Progress like that keeps me in the gym and eating my chicken breast!

Patz
04-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Eric - Mostly. I'm eating a 300-500 calorie dinner now, around 8pm. It's usually grilled chicken in salad, or tomato soup with a turkey sandwich. Otherwise, it's all shakes, or a MetRx bar before my really early morning workouts. The oats and whey at 5am was making me queasy.

Tbird - Thanks a lot, man. I won't disappoint!

shansen008
04-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Eric - Mostly. I'm eating a 300-500 calorie dinner now, around 8pm. It's usually grilled chicken in salad, or tomato soup with a turkey sandwich. Otherwise, it's all shakes, or a MetRx bar before my really early morning workouts. The oats and whey at 5am was making me queasy.

Tbird - Thanks a lot, man. I won't disappoint!

First things first, great job! Can see a huge difference in you.

Secondly, please eat more dietary fiber, your GIT will thank you for it. Fiber is the 1 thing most "liquid diet" folks tend to forget about.

I know built brought it up on the first page when she asked what you were eating for fiber, didnt see a response but mostly skimmed the next 2 pages. So just for cautions sake ill bring it up again. 1 bowl of oatmeal/grape nuts or something similar added to what youre already eating would go a long ways. Preferably eat some dark green veggies though....spinach is especilly good. Turn those salads into spinach salads.

Patz
04-05-2006, 09:58 PM
First things first, great job! Can see a huge difference in you.

Secondly, please eat more dietary fiber, your GIT will thank you for it. Fiber is the 1 thing most "liquid diet" folks tend to forget about.

I know built brought it up on the first page when she asked what you were eating for fiber, didnt see a response but mostly skimmed the next 2 pages. So just for cautions sake ill bring it up again. 1 bowl of oatmeal/grape nuts or something similar added to what youre already eating would go a long ways. Preferably eat some dark green veggies though....spinach is especilly good. Turn those salads into spinach salads.

Thanks man. I actually take in about a cup of oats per day in my shakes. Fiber isn't an issue.

Patz
04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
And, I'm eating salad about half the time now since I've added one solid meal to the mix. I **** consantly as it is...

ericg
04-06-2006, 06:10 AM
What are your cals at now, total and per shake? Do you feel that the shakes make you satisfied and full?

Patz
04-06-2006, 06:45 AM
What are your cals at now, total and per shake? Do you feel that the shakes make you satisfied and full?

Here's my exact diet as I first designed it. I was following it perfectly for about 2 weeks. Now, I've got a meal of roughtly the same cals as a shake (or the same cals as 1.5 shakes if I miss a couple).

I didn't (or don't) always drink them in this order, depending on when I workout, and if it's a cardio/crossfit/basketball day I only do oats in the shake pre-workout. I've also decided to go with a MetRx Protein Plus bar for pre-workout if it's a 6am day, due to feeling like **** that early in the morning. They agree with my stomach a lot better than oats, whey and milk at 5am.

Oh, and the shakes with oats keep me feeling pretty good. The ones with just milk will last me about 2 hours (disclaimer: I have a desk job, and I do really well with hunger pangs in general). When I'm hungry, and it's not time for a shake yet, the cravings are INSANE. That's why I added a light dinner to this plan. My stomach has had no trouble going back and forth from liquid to solid, thank God.

8oz Skim
2 scoops whey (6 star brand)
3 fish oil

8oz skim
2 scoops whey
3 fish oil

8 oz skim
2 scoops whey
1 tbsp olive oil
3 fish oil

8 oz WHOLE milk
2 scoops whey
1/2 cup oats
4 tsp dextrose - this equates to like, 20 carbs
3 fish oil

8oz skim
2 scoops whey
4tsp dextrose
1/3 cup oats
3 fish oil

Here is the calorie breakdowns, with fish oil included.

The plain shakes are 338 calories.

The pre-workout shake with the 1/2 cup oats is 603 calories.

The post-workout shake is 518 calories (roughly..I didn't have macros on 1/3 cup oats, so I guessed down from 150 cals for 1/2 cup).

As I just wrote it, that comes to 2135 calories total.

The way I originally wrote it up was 2340, but I had a bit more dextrose and oats in there. Honestly, the dextrose makes the shake taste great but 4tsp is a bit much. I usually put two in there. I'm probably hitting about 2000 calories on average.

When I get to work at 10:30EST(where I wrote all this up the first time), I'll attach the file where I broke down all the macros.

What I'm currently doing, is the MetRx bar pre-workout (350 cals, 32g protein), two basic shakes, and one basic plus olive oil at work, then come home and eat something like tomato soup and a plain turkey on wheat, or grilled chicken strips in half of a caesar salad kit. I do eat the dressing and all, but I stick with one serving, and try to tally it all up to where the calories are nice and sensible.

My biggest problem, with all the diets I've ever started, is food prep. I can handle putting together a sensible dinner, but finding stuff to take to work during the day was a big problem and I tend to just get more hungry if I'm taking in solids. I get home from work after 730pm usually, and cooking up a bunch of chicken for the next day, or anything else, was not only a pain but consumed what was left of my evenings. If I did a workout AFTER work, I wasn't getting home til 9. With mostly liquids, I can keep the hunger at bay during the day, and have all my food prep stuff right there at my desk. I buy whey once a week (the oats and oil last forever), and milk once a week for work and home. So far, so good..

My strength really hasn't moved, and I'm actually setting PR's here and there. I honestly think I'm just not one to lose muscle mass, though, so I can't attribute that to the diet. Energy is OK, but not great. I can still show up and lift heavy, though, so I'm happy overall.

ericg
04-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks a ton bro. :thumbup:

I am lazy when it comes to food prep so I was thinking of introducing more liquid meals in my diet. So the info you gave me will help. Looks like we are taking in about the same amount of cals per day, hell looks like we have the same build.

Seems like the only consistent carb you eat each meal are from the milk. Are you tryng to keep the carbs low? If memory serves me right 1/2c oats is about 30g carbs total, plus the carbs in the milk...hmm...that may not be that low. I guess I will find out when you attach the file with the macro breakdown. Thanks again bro.

Patz
04-06-2006, 08:47 AM
OK, I'm back. I just realized that this isn't MY liquid diet on the file, but one I wrote up for a female friend of mine. But, you can get an idea of how things break down. It's very similar to mine (as you can see), but just has one less shake, a few less fish oil caps, etc.

Just remember..a carb is 4 cals, a protein is 4 cals, a fat is 9 cals. That's bascially how I did it, with the assistance of www.calorieking.com

Oh, and the carbs I wasn't super worried about, but I try to take in the bulk of them when I'm going to burn a lot of them right back off.

Patz
04-06-2006, 08:53 AM
I just looked on the back of my fish oil bottle, and it says 10 calories--all from fat. I read 9 calories for a gram somewhere else, but whatever..lol

ericg
04-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Cool man. Thanks for the info. I think it is time for me to get a blender and see if I can incorporate some more shakes in my diet and help the consistency.

galileo
04-06-2006, 09:07 AM
I just looked on the back of my fish oil bottle, and it says 10 calories--all from fat. I read 9 calories for a gram somewhere else, but whatever..lol

They round.

Mik
04-06-2006, 09:40 AM
They round.

xian's round.

Eszekial
04-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Amazing dude! Be proud that you have stuck it out this long! Pretty soon you will have fogotten what it's like to be a chubber! Oh think of the ladies :-D

Shark
04-06-2006, 02:42 PM
xian's round.

Haha

Maki Riddington
04-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Great progress. On a side note, you look nothing like I had pictured you. I envisioned a 40 year old man with a moustache.

f=ma
04-06-2006, 03:04 PM
great progress bro.. have to admit you didnt look like i guessed either.

grow your hair out too :)

Patz
04-06-2006, 04:55 PM
LOL..thanks guys.

Maki - I'm 26, biotch!

f=ma - Go back and look very closely at the crown of my head, and all will be revealed.

HILL
04-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Cant believe i missed this thread lol i have been slacking lately.

mrelwooddowd your progress is awesome i must say coming from being very overweight myself and my whole family is i know how good it feels personally to be loosing weight and wish my dad/mam and brother would do the same. i also know how hard it is coming down the weight but it looks like your making good progress and think at 190 and below you will look real good mate

Mik
04-07-2006, 07:35 AM
f=ma - Go back and look very closely at the crown of my head, and all will be revealed.

The shave looks much better IMO. I'm prolly going the same route. I'll be a jacked Transporter!

Patz
04-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks a lot, HILL. I appreciate it.

Mik - I agree, totally. Statham is my bald role model!

Maki Riddington
04-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Don't make me Judo chop you!

IronJay
04-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Good progress man! Keep it up. I know how you feel, the goal does seem far away and it feels like the progress is slow, but its not. Stick with it and you will be happy when its over!
Liquid diet... I had a hard enough time with soft textured food lol. Dont you want any crunch?

Patz
04-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks dude..I'll stick with it--especially after having seen your pics!

I'm eating some solids now. The liquids are definitely making it easier to get my calories regulated, and keeping it simple while at work.

Jabberwocky
04-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Huge progress man!

d'Anconia
04-24-2006, 10:25 PM
Yeah I can't believe I missed this thread either. Elwood, you're not the only person who is not happy about the amount of body fat they have...
You've already lost a ton of weight and now that you've been going at it for a while the rest should be a bit easier (well until those last few lbs...).
I *would* caution that if you lost another 20+ lbs, you might end up with some loose skin.

Anyway here's something to keep in mind... even if you lose 5-10lbs and look at things and realize you have a bit more ways to go... you're still already that much closer to your goal and look that much better than you did when you first started.

-TIM-
05-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Great progress. All the hard work is obviously paying off.