PDA

View Full Version : Calorie question and my metabolism.

KarateBoy
04-02-2006, 03:21 PM
I was just wondering if this is normal, and if normal why it happens, or does this sound weird.

Couple months ago, I was lifting with a 2500 calorie diet or so. I wasn't getting stronger for the obvious reason but I wasn't losing weight even though I was lifting 4-5 days a week. Now I read that after lifting your metabolism can speed up by 150% or so and stay that high for a while. Now is this possible that I wasn't losing weight with lifting: only thing that comes to mind is a slow metabolism but I know I have an ectomorph body type.

I started raising my calories and I was hitting 4000 for about 3 weeks with no gains in mass and no loss in mass.

Now I'm eating ~5000 calories a day and not sure if I'm gaining yet.

UrbanSmooth
04-02-2006, 04:02 PM
How much do you weigh? Are you getting enough protein? At least 1g per lb of your body weight. Are you getting enough sleep? At least 8 hours!

Holto
04-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Now I'm eating ~5000 calories a day and not sure if I'm gaining yet.

Keep tracking and try to be as accurate as possible. It's amazing what you can get for a digital scale these days for $20-30 dollars.

Also, ecto's have the fastest metabolisms. It's very possible you are maintaining on 5000 cals. The only way you will ever know is to keep tracking.

IMO ecto's have many metabolic gears so to speak. You won't notice it until you eat 5000 for a few weeks but you could find that you feel better and have more energy and are spending more energy as a result.

WildCard
04-02-2006, 06:11 PM
karateboy, very interesting observation. I have observed it too.

When I started lifting, I was eating 3000 cals a day and not losing at all. after 2 months, my intake has gone up to 3600 per day (as per fitday) and I am still neither gaining nor losing. It is weird. so I do believe that lifting does improve metabolism.

now, if I can get to 6500 cals a day and not lose or gain, I'll be a VERY happy person (pizza, chicken, icecream etc)

WildCard
04-02-2006, 06:11 PM
karateboy, very interesting observation. I have observed it too.

When I started lifting, I was eating 3000 cals a day and not losing at all. after 2 months, my intake has gone up to 3600 per day (as per fitday) and I am still neither gaining nor losing. It is weird. so I do believe that lifting does improve metabolism.

now, if I can get to 6500 cals a day and not lose or gain, I'll be a VERY happy person (pizza, chicken, icecream etc)

KarateBoy
04-02-2006, 08:44 PM
How much do you weigh? Are you getting enough protein? At least 1g per lb of your body weight. Are you getting enough sleep? At least 8 hours!

I'm about 160 give or take 2 lbs.

I'm sure my protein is enough: I'm getting well over 200 grams on a daily basis.

I can usually sleep atleast 7 hours a night.

KarateBoy
04-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Keep tracking and try to be as accurate as possible. It's amazing what you can get for a digital scale these days for $20-30 dollars.

Also, ecto's have the fastest metabolisms. It's very possible you are maintaining on 5000 cals. The only way you will ever know is to keep tracking.

IMO ecto's have many metabolic gears so to speak. You won't notice it until you eat 5000 for a few weeks but you could find that you feel better and have more energy and are spending more energy as a result.

I'm pretty sure I'm accurate within 100 calories. I've been counting them for a while ( look at nutritional facts, actually measuring out my servings first few weeks, etc...)

What kinda digital scale are you talking about?

So my metabolism may have gears? As in it can keep speeding up as I keep eating more? What a bummer lol

Last question regarding your comment? So if its taking me couple weeks to see if I'm gaining on 5000 that means I'll STILL have to bump it up?

UrbanSmooth
04-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Bulking at over 4,000 cals a day. I'm about 160, and the thought of having to eat more makes my stomach go "What?" Let us all pray that our appetites will increase!

KarateBoy
04-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Bulking at over 4,000 cals a day. I'm about 160, and the thought of having to eat more makes my stomach go "What?" Let us all pray that our appetites will increase!

I'm 160lbs and all this food is almost making me sick to my stomach...

Liquid calories (my shakes) are the only way I can get to 5000. I tried 4000 for a couple week and it got me no where: you're lucky lol.

Just try imagining eating 25% more :omg:

Do I have to worry about over eating peanut butte so I do not develop an allergy to it? what about drinking to much milk? The calcium?

UrbanSmooth
04-02-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm 160lbs and all this food is almost making me sick to my stomach...

Liquid calories (my shakes) are the only way I can get to 5000. I tried 4000 for a couple week and it got me no where: you're lucky lol.

Do I have to worry about over eating peanut butte so I do not develop an allergy to it? what about drinking to much milk? The calcium?

Yeah, the shakes help a lot! Natural peanut butter is the best way to go, from what I've heard. What's wrong with a lot of calcium? Just make sure you drink a lot of water with your high intake of protein. You may not need to eat 5,000 calories a day. You're only supposed to gain a pound a week, so, why not try 4,000 calories a day and slowly up that number every two weeks, or every pound gained.

Try going 25 x your body weight in pounds.

Just don't try something for a few weeks and see what it's doing. Try it for at least a month, and keep at it! Also, make sure you're getting enough sleep every night. Here's a big secret: Eat a low-fat (or zero-fat), high-protein meal before bed like 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and 8oz skim milk with 1/3 cup dry nonfat milk and maybe some egg whites. I've been doing this lately, and when I wake up the next day, I notice a difference! I look beefier!

KarateBoy
04-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah, the shakes help a lot! Natural peanut butter is the best way to go, from what I've heard. What's wrong with a lot of calcium? Just make sure you drink a lot of water with your high intake of protein. You may not need to eat 5,000 calories a day. You're only supposed to gain a pound a week, so, why not try 4,000 calories a day and slowly up that number every two weeks, or every pound gained.

Try going 25 x your body weight in pounds.

Just don't try something for a few weeks and see what it's doing. Try it for at least a month, and keep at it! Also, make sure you're getting enough sleep every night. Here's a big secret: Eat a low-fat (or zero-fat), high-protein meal before bed like 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and 8oz skim milk with 1/3 cup dry nonfat milk and maybe some egg whites. I've been doing this lately, and when I wake up the next day, I notice a difference! I look beefier!

Thanks for more advice:clap:

I tried 4000 calories for about 3 week and didn't gain a 1lb so I had to bump it up. If I do gain a pound or so in the next 2 week I might try lowering it to 4500 so cross your finger for me buddy.

I want 170 lbs in 2 months :cool:

Holto
04-02-2006, 10:35 PM
What kinda digital scale are you talking about?

Food scales that are sold at Radio Shack etc.

In Canada the source...http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=KitchenScales&product=6312997

So my metabolism may have gears?
As in it can keep speeding up as I keep eating more?
So if its taking me couple weeks to see if I'm gaining on 5000 that means I'll STILL have to bump it up?

Yes,yes and yes. Or at least it seems that way. Keep tracking, you'll be fine. Also it should never be that hard to get 5000 cals. Be strategic, eat calorie dense foods. 1 cup of almonds is 900 cals. I could eat that driving to work.

UrbanSmooth
04-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Walnuts are much softer and easier to chew. 1/4 Cup alone = 200 calories and 20g of good fat!

Holto
04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Walnuts are much softer and easier to chew. 1/4 Cup alone = 200 calories and 20g of good fat!

Excellent point for somebody aiming to eat alot of them.