PDA

View Full Version : can you be drinking too much water?

derek mitchell
04-02-2006, 11:04 PM
I usually drink about 6-8 500ml bottles of water a day but then i spend the rest of my day going pee evey 30 minutes. Is this too much water?

UrbanSmooth
04-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Not if you like to pee. :p

nhlfan
04-03-2006, 12:10 AM
you can drink too much, but you are not.

greathuskie
04-03-2006, 12:25 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

JoeyCrack
04-03-2006, 06:51 AM
yeah, 3-4L a day is fine, just as long as you dont consume it all at once.

Clifford Gillmore
04-03-2006, 08:01 AM
2 gallons is fine for me.

Bob
04-03-2006, 08:35 AM
<<EDIT.. this is the research on what it takes for Water Intoxication>>
1.5 litres of water per hour at maximum filtration-other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/hr..

So for being awake 16 hours in a day.. then you can safely consume somewhere between 14.4 to 24 liters per day... that's 486.921 to 811.536 US Ounces... or 3.804 to 6.340 US Gallons. That's a lot of water in one day...

I usually do between 1 and 1.25 gallons per day.. I once did 2.5 gallons in one day.. because I was thinking of trying those extreme eating contests.. but I just couldn't stand that feeling of bloat all day long... and those 20 pees of 5-7 minutes... LOL.

ddegroff
04-03-2006, 12:18 PM
^^^wow thats a lot of water, thanks.

OP: welcome to the world of drinking a lot of water. no one ever tells you when you lift heavy, eat heavy, and drink a lot of water, you'll be in the pisser all day.

ArchAngel777
04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
^^^wow thats a lot of water, thanks.

OP: welcome to the world of drinking a lot of water. no one ever tells you when you lift heavy, eat heavy, and drink a lot of water, you'll be in the pisser all day.

I refuse to drink that much water. Waking up in the middle of the night to take two to three leaks is unnacceptable and affects sleep in a negative fashion. Drink enough to maintain somewhat clear urine when you do pee (except for morning, which will always be darker) and you will be just fine.

ArchAngel777
04-03-2006, 12:54 PM
1.5 litres of water per hour at maximum filtration-other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/hr..

So for being awake 16 hours in a day.. then you can safely consume somewhere between 14.4 to 24 liters per day... that's 486.921 to 811.536 US Ounces... or 3.804 to 6.340 US Gallons. That's a lot of water in one day...

I usually do between 1 and 1.25 gallons per day.. I once did 2.5 gallons in one day.. because I was thinking of trying those extreme eating contests.. but I just couldn't stand that feeling of bloat all day long... and those 20 pees of 5-7 minutes... LOL.

Keep in mind that is directly related to the sodium in your system. The more salt you drink, the more water is needed to dilute it and send it out of the body.

Not sure any studies have been done, but I don't think it is healthy to drink 2+ gallons a day unless you live in an ugodly hot climate where you are doing physical labor. Or if you are outside training and what not...

Bob
04-03-2006, 02:19 PM
ArchAngel... that is the research above... the maximum water that a normal kidney can handle is somewhere between .9L to 1.5L per hour...

More then that and you can kill yourself.. hence my calculations above...
To kill yourself, you REALLY Have to drink a lot... I know I couldn't drink that much..

ddegroff
04-03-2006, 04:25 PM
I refuse to drink that much water. Waking up in the middle of the night to take two to three leaks is unnacceptable and affects sleep in a negative fashion. Drink enough to maintain somewhat clear urine when you do pee (except for morning, which will always be darker) and you will be just fine.

haha thats very true I try not to drink much water before bed.

Optimum08
04-03-2006, 05:05 PM
yes, you can have too much water. no, you're not even close to that point.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-03-2006, 05:10 PM
You'd probably start puking up water before you reach the amount needed for water intoxication.

ArchAngel777
04-03-2006, 10:19 PM
ArchAngel... that is the research above... the maximum water that a normal kidney can handle is somewhere between .9L to 1.5L per hour...

More then that and you can kill yourself.. hence my calculations above...
To kill yourself, you REALLY Have to drink a lot... I know I couldn't drink that much..

Yeah, I wasn't dissagreeing with that. But, my question is, why does it have to process the water in the first place? I mean, that is what is required to process it. But you would have to fill the lake (so to speak) before it would even have to process it. Meaning, I could down 1.5L in about 2 minutes, but I am not going to die... Only after a prolonged period, over the course of days will I intake enough water where it has nowhere to go but to be expelled... Then, at that point, I will die since it will not be able to keep up. But, could anyone even drink themselves to death with water? I would argue that it would be extremely painful and thus, the body would eventually catch up to the back log and fix the problem because no one would continue with the pain of drinking any longer... Just my thoughts on it...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Water intoxication happens by ingesting large amounts of water in a short period of time. I don't think 1.5L is enough for that.

Sidior
04-04-2006, 01:23 AM
Water intoxication happens by ingesting large amounts of water in a short period of time. I don't think 1.5L is enough for that.

it may be enough if you did it for multiple hours in a row

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Water Intoxication ≠ Death. It can cause a lot of problems, but to die from it it'd have to be like 2 gallons or more in a half hour. Dying from water intake is very rare. Your body restores itself to normal as quickly as it can. It's just best not to overdo it.

MJS
04-04-2006, 06:04 AM
I drink about 3 gallons of water a day. I love water.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-04-2006, 04:03 PM
I drink about 3 gallons of water a day. I love water.You'd get water intoxication from drinking that in a half hour. Then again...who's insane enough to do that?