PDA

View Full Version : Neccesity of Cardio?

Accipiter
01-17-2002, 06:53 PM
Just noticed quite a few cardio threads lately, I'm just wondering if it's really neccessary, I ain't done it in ages, and it seems like I'm still doing fine, just asking.

Hot Shot
01-17-2002, 07:02 PM
It ain't necessary for fat loss but working your heart can be a wise
decision

Chris Rodgers
01-17-2002, 07:35 PM
What's cardio?? :confused:

Only kind I like involves a partner(girl in my case/ boy in El Pietro's case) and a bed is optional. :p

the_hall
01-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Hot Shot
It ain't necessary for fat loss but working your heart can be a wise
decision

Are you serious? I posted a thread asking if cardio was necesssary for fat loss on another board, and everyone told me it was a MUST for fat loss.

Dont you need to do some form of cardio though?

crushen
01-17-2002, 08:09 PM
good article (http://www.cyberpump.com/training/ramble/ramble002.html)

cardio isnt neccesary, controlling your diet and weight lifting isa much better choice

syntekz
01-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by the_hall
Are you serious? I posted a thread asking if cardio was necesssary for fat loss on another board, and everyone told me it was a MUST for fat loss.

Weight/Fat loss occurrs because your body is burning more calories than you are taking in/eating. Cardio can be used to reduce your overall caloric intake, but it isn't neccessary to do so.

Hot Shot
01-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Personnaly I do a lot of cardio because I need to be in shape but you can lose fat by just manipulating your diet.

Alex.V
01-17-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by the_hall

Name the board. :) Better yet, gimme the link and I'll disagree with it over there, so that part of the argument will be all shot to hell.

j/k.

Twiztid
01-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Add Cardio for max fat loss..

the guys who are all buff already or little fat, skip cardio so it doesn't cut into their gains. You got a belly? LIFT & do Cardio!

20 min Hit Cardio is as effective, if not more effective then sitting on a bike for 45 mins staring at the clock, doing the same speed.

Interval training is where it's at.. it's only 20 mins. Lift 3 times a week, cardio 3 times a week. Throw in a proper diet, and your laughing the pounds away...

Your big? wanna stay big? skip the cardio...

If your pudgy, don't worry so much about cutting into your muscle.. what muscle? Your tubby, like me... and the reason why your tubby is because your to lazy to do cardio!! :D

Stop looking for an excuse not to do cardio.. tuttut we all know it sucks, but if you want to burn that fat off.. get started!

PowerManDL
01-17-2002, 10:56 PM
Cardio isn't necessary for fat loss, but its a lot more efficient and healthier to include some in your routine, even if its only two days a week.

Main reasons:

1) A strong, healthy cardiopulmonary system is always a bonus.

2) Number 1 will translate into greater overall work capacity, which means greater effectiveness with any form of physical activity, weights included. Ever been winded after a hard set? Cardio can help with that.

3) Oxidative phosphorylation, or fat burning, is the main source of fuel for resting muscle tissue, or muscle tissue in "endurance mode." Cardio increases this effect in the short term, and done properly can increase the total efficiency of fat burning in the trained muscle tissues while at rest, which leads to more fat burned in the long term.

4) Fat loss and weight loss aren't strictly the same thing, and the calories in vs. calories out equation won't necessarily lead to fat loss. Burning more calories and dropping weight doesn't necessarily mean more fat was burned. True, cardio does add to daily caloric expenditure, but weight training burns more than most average cardio sessions. You can drop fat without losing any net weight. For that reason, the calories burned are irrelevant-- where those calories come from is.

All said, cardio looks pretty good for just about any situation.

Accipiter
01-17-2002, 11:36 PM
I'm not looking to lose fat at all, but that is a good point on #2.

mesmall
01-18-2002, 04:47 AM
And the older you get the more important it will be....:(

YatesNightBlade
01-18-2002, 05:00 AM
It's worth doing for the positive effect it has on your metabolizm.

Tryska
01-18-2002, 05:12 AM
i like cardio. it resets my mood from "total bitch" back to just "bitch". :D

big
01-18-2002, 05:40 AM
:D yeah its a nice feeling when you're done. I usually just take a 20-40 min run late in the evening, once or twice a week. Because it makes me feel good, and it helps with the cutting. I only do it when its warm outside though, 6 months a year.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-18-2002, 11:22 AM
well, looks like all has been covered in this thread but i thought i;d post in it anyway.

Oh well...

the doc
01-18-2002, 11:27 AM
cd had to add his :spam: to the mix

:D

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-18-2002, 11:30 AM
As did you by pointing it out.

degenerates make me sick. tuttut

;)

Bullrider Billy
01-18-2002, 11:48 AM
I tried the no-cardio route and found out that I am one of those people that absolutely positvely unequivocally without a doubt needs cardio to lose fat. I can diet until the cows come home, on top of my lifting (which is not too shabby) and not lose a freakin' gram of fat.

crushen
01-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Bullrider Billy
I tried the no-cardio route and found out that I am one of those people that absolutely positvely unequivocally without a doubt needs cardio to lose fat. I can diet until the cows come home, on top of my lifting (which is not too shabby) and not lose a freakin' gram of fat.

or you need to cut a few hundred calories out of your diet

crushen
01-18-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
It's worth doing for the positive effect it has on your metabolizm.

intense weight lifting has a much longer lasting effect on your metabolism

degsta
01-18-2002, 07:29 PM
True, true

IceRgrrl
01-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by crushen

I'm with Bullrider Billy. Unless I do some cardio (we're not talking excessive here), fat loss through diet and lifting is nill.

And "cutting a few hundred calories out of your diet" can backfire. I know for myself, I've tried just diet/lifting and cutting calories gradually until my metabolism ground to a near halt without much fat loss ever occurring. But everyone is different, so I guess it's up to personal experimentation.

Then there's the simple fact that heart disease is a leading killer of both men and women, so cardiovascular exercise might be a good idea unless you want to look forward to a heart attack or something equally as cheery.

Bullrider Billy
01-18-2002, 08:49 PM

How do you know what I eat? I said I can diet until the cows come home. I don't think 1600-1800 cals./day with a 45/30/25 pro/carb/fat ratio is excessive.

So now what would you recommend Oh Great Fountain of Knowledge?

Shocker
01-19-2002, 01:43 AM
Doing cardio if you are the type to go the extra mile.

It not necessary but its about the finishing touches to your physique.

PowerManDL
01-19-2002, 03:10 AM
Do people just totally ignore things I write?

KRayZieDoGG
01-19-2002, 01:39 PM
honestly i think i just skipped right over it till i read the previous post

good info, go back and read it everyone :)

but your 4th example doesnt seem very supportive of your thesis... or... something, if you had a thesis :D

Impact2
01-20-2002, 11:13 AM
I dont do cardio or at least keep it minimal during bulking because it will take away my calories which could be used for building muscle and recovering...

I got all summer through november for cutting that's why they have football... SUmmer practices 6 or 7 hours long in the burning heat running all the time.

cherryswitch
01-20-2002, 04:07 PM
I have lost 24 pounds, since the 19th of November. I did cardio for one week and did not lose anymore weight than the weeks where I only lifted weights. I have only lost 2 pounds of my muscle mass and that was because I got off my diet during Christmas and didn't lift. My schedule is very tight and, as long as I'm having good, steady results with lifting only, I'm gonna run with it. (no pun intended)

Peace!

Accipiter
01-21-2002, 02:29 PM
That's the thing, i'm one of those people that could eat a horse and still not gain weight, so that's why I'm kinda edgy on doing cardio, don't wanna make it any harder

cherryswitch
01-21-2002, 02:45 PM
That's the thing, i'm one of those people that could eat a horse and still not gain weight, so that's why I'm kinda edgy on doing cardio, don't wanna make it any harder

Just as long as the horse isn't deep-fried or breaded. :D

ElPietro
01-21-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by LATMAN
What's cardio?? :confused:

Only kind I like involves a partner(girl in my case/ boy in El Pietro's case) and a bed is optional. :p

Ha! Never saw this. I need to start doing searches on my name so I can defend myself! :D

Listen to Power, cardio isn't JUST for cutting or fat-loss. Getting your a$$ on a treadmill or taking a walk can be helpful in multiple ways as explained.

It's also a good starting point for those with sedentary lifestyles...

YatesNightBlade
01-22-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by crushen

intense weight lifting has a much longer lasting effect on your metabolism

Longer maybe .... more positive. IMO and experiance ..... NO !!

prof
01-22-2002, 09:54 AM
can be as boring as hell, BUT a kickboxing lesson or some mountainbiking makes it fun for me, save the punishment for the weights.

cheers