PDA

View Full Version : Not sure whether I should be cutting or bulking

Big'n'Ripped
04-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey there guys, I'm new around here Ive made the decision to get ripped. I've done alot of research on bulking and cutting but since I havent actually tried it out yet Im not sure what I should do first.

I mean this would be an easy decision if I were a fat guy (cause then I'd cut), or if I were a skinny guy (then I'd bulk) but Im somewhere in the middle. I guess you could say Im an endomorph with love handles. I weight 195lbs, I'm 20, and I'm 6'1" with wide shoulders. Now the thing is I havent done the body composition test yet, but I think I'm probably around 20% body fat.

I guess my main question is: Does it matter if I start bulking and gaining muscle and THEN lose the 20% during a cutting period or should I get down to about 13% first and THEN start bulking?

Oh and I've tracked my eating for the past two days and the macros look like this

2 days ago: 2344 cals, 196g Pro, 242g Carbs, 49.6g Fat
Yesterday: 2635 cals, 200.6g Pro, 264g Carbs, 85.8g Fat

Thanks for the help guys, I'll post some pics after if it helps you help me :)

Edit: Oh yeah and I'm doing the Arnold beginner's workout from his bodybuilding encyclopedia

BinRipped

drew
04-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Bulk

And get more protein.

Jorge Sanchez
04-03-2006, 01:58 PM
First, ditch Arnold's workout.

If you really are 20%bf, I would cut first. There are some links floating around that suggest muscle:fat gain ratio is better at lower bf. Also, since you are new to the game, there is a good chance you will be able to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Try to take advantage of that while you can.

It`s good that you`ve started to track your calories. Continue to do this until you get a week's worth and then average out your calories to find out what your maintenance cals are, and then adjust according to what your goals are.

Drew, why do you think he needs more protein?

eatit
04-03-2006, 02:50 PM
It will be a lot easier to do a slow cut now and then bulk when you get down to about 10% or so than it will be to bulk at 20% and try and lose all that fat. As has already been mentioned being new to this unless you train like an idiot you'll gain LBM and lose fat while cutting anyhow. So ride that while you can.

drew
04-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Drew, why do you think he needs more protein?
Everyone needs more protein. :burger:

Big'n'Ripped
04-03-2006, 05:31 PM
First, ditch Arnold's workout.
I would have thought Arnold's workout would be one of the best things I can do, I mean the guy's a legend. Oh and I did try it out like 5 years ago but now I feel I'm mature enough (both mentally and physically) to actually go through with it.

Everyone needs more protein.
Sounds good :)

So it sounds like cutting to about 10% body fat while working out is more beneficial then bulking now. I was hesitant to cut now because I have heard that no strength or muscle gains can be made while cutting. Not sure where I heard that from but is this true? thanks!

drew
04-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Any routine will work when you're new, even a bad one.

Arnold's workout will work for a while, but that doesn't make it good. Arnold is genetically blessed.