PDA

View Full Version : im strong but i suck at olympic lifts

bradleykavin
04-03-2006, 11:42 PM
hey guys..im 17, and i paly football for my high school..im pretty strong, i can squat around 450, and bench around 300 (when im not nervous). today we maxed on cleans, and jerks..on these lifts, my form is horrible. i just muscle everything..reverse curl the clean, and military the jerk..i try to get the form down but i suck..i only cleaned 110 kilos and 105 kilos jerk, which is a horrible jerk, considering i usuaully jerk WAY more than my clean..my lifting partner cleaned 115, and jerked 130 (all kilos). my question, whwat are ways to get my form better, as its been horrible since ive bneen a freshman

biggimp
04-04-2006, 12:15 AM
practice.

Sidior
04-04-2006, 01:11 AM
practice.

then practice more

Gutz981
04-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah oly lifts are all about practice and getting the technique down.

Clifford Gillmore
04-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Lower the damn weight until your form is perfect.

BigCorey75
04-04-2006, 03:36 PM
technique and explosion, those are key to oly lifts

i know pletny of guys on our team that i was way stronger than but they could power clean more than i could because they had better technique than i did

Goodwinm
04-04-2006, 04:20 PM
lower the weight to something a lot lighter. Remember that once you have pulled the weight up, you need to really bend those knees quick and lower your body, ready to explode up again for your "resting period".

Meat_Head
04-04-2006, 04:28 PM
I like how there's a new high school guy who squats 400lbs every week.

You are doing something wrong if you can squat that weight correctly and haven't been lifting for a long time... especially at your age.

As far as oly lifts go, work on flexibility and just practice practice practice. Improving your power output takes a while.

Magik
04-04-2006, 06:22 PM

You are doing something wrong if you can squat that weight correctly and haven't been lifting for a long time... especially at your age.

As far as oly lifts go, work on flexibility and just practice practice practice. Improving your power output takes a while.
its not that out of reach every generation gets stronger, just last week our schools power clean and bench record was broken, next week someones trying to break the squat one, i mean im a sophmore and idk how i did it but i PR'ed at 300 today on squats and im one of he younger sophmore still 15, although that isnt quite 400 you gotta keep in mind i got 2 years of high school lifting to hit that mark its definately possible

biggimp
04-04-2006, 07:47 PM

i wouldnt say its unusual for a high schooler to squat that, i mean you are 18 in high school... now 15 year olds squatting 400lbs every week. THAT is what is some monkey business.

pmpimpalot01
04-04-2006, 08:24 PM
i work out with 405 :) seven more days of bein 15!

form is big with cleans. You just gotta find what feels best for you. I went from doing 220 to 250 in not very long just by tweaking my form here and there. but ive realized that the heavier I go, my form keeps changing.

jerk just dont be afraid of throwin a crap load of weiht above your head!

Meat_Head
04-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm not saying this guy doesn't do it necissarily, or that no high schoolers do. But squatting over 400lbs is an impressive feat of strength at any age, much moreso for a high schooler. I'm talking about a raw squat, below parallel, with a slow negative and no bouncing... that's hard to find.

JLGoins41
04-04-2006, 09:33 PM
hey my squat is legit.. trust me its parallel and raw and its not easy. Comes from crazy ass leg workouts. Im also the 2nd strongest on my team but we do have a 17 year old that squat 460 and its the slowest squat ever and its parallel. Hes like a T-Rex thought, strong lower body but his bench is 265.

Optimum08
04-04-2006, 10:50 PM
for olympic lifts its all about form, and form comes from practice, and practice means taking the weight off the bar and going a lot lighter than usual just so u can feel what its like to go through with that specific lift.

KingJustin
04-05-2006, 12:00 AM
I also think it's pretty amazing how strong so many of the high schoolers that come here. At my gym in college I see only a very few people that ever put up 3 plates (as in definitely under 10), despite the fact that my school has the most active rec center in the whole country (as in avg. # of uses per student) and 12,000 students. Most the guys that are doing 315 have been working out several years and are pretty dedicated, and a couple are on steroids. It's amazing that so many high schoolers come on here with minimal lifting experience and hardly any knowledge of training and nonetheless are some of the strongest users on this forum.

Hell, if you can bench 300 and squat 450 then congrats to you. You may very well be able to, but I feel quite confident that a number of the younger guys are lying about their lifts. And it makes sense, younger people will tend to lie a lot more about stuff like that than older people.

bradleykavin
04-05-2006, 01:08 AM
i understand being skeptical about it, so i have some pictures of some of my team mates maxing..there is a 345 lb bench, 325 bench, 445 squat, 319 lb clean, and 110 KILO (dont know what that is in lbs) snatch...

bradleykavin
04-05-2006, 01:08 AM
and...

bradleykavin
04-05-2006, 01:10 AM
and...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bradleykavin/5.jpg

bradleykavin
04-05-2006, 01:12 AM
as you can see in the pictures..everyone has to have their ass make the punjy bed, or the squat doesnt count..that is DEFINITELY, if not lower, than paralell..trust me..it hurts your back like a biiitch

Meat_Head
04-05-2006, 05:11 AM
The squat pics look a bit short of parallel(if that's the bottom), but impressive pics either way! What type of routine are ya'll doing?

Clifford Gillmore
04-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Great. I'm weak and pathetic.

Sensei
04-05-2006, 05:38 AM
The squat pics look a bit short of parallel(if that's the bottom), but impressive pics either way! What type of routine are ya'll doing?
Once, just once, I'd like to see you admit you were wrong...

trasmi21
04-05-2006, 07:31 AM
I wish everyone would stop worrying about others numbers and worry about their own.

soul71
04-05-2006, 07:44 AM

took the words right out of my mouth

and fyi meatheadz i was squatting 380 @ the end of u16 state rowing, and i knew guys who were squatting 420+ (thats right.. 16 year olds)

these were full squats, slow, parralell etc (all the important stuff). We had personal trainers and in some cases ex-olympians working in the gyms with us helping us perfect our technique (why waste time in the gym with bad form, when u have 12+ trainings a week its important to get as much gain as u can out of each workout.. whether its on the water or in the gym)

IrishLifter55
04-05-2006, 07:57 AM
I feel that I need to add my two cents. I think that high schoolers who come to a board like this are going to be the ones who are the strongest and the most fit. My maxes are good, last summer: Squat 385x5, Bench 225x5, and Deadlift 365x5. I was one of the strongest overall players on my football team however there two kids who were stronger than me, both are a year younger than me. One lifts all the time and has his own gym at his house, the other just is a black kid with sick genetics he hardly ever lifts from what I have heard.
Our dedication, determination, and intensity to our sport is what drives us. It is all a matter of when we entered and how hard we were pushed. The more senior lifters whould know that what you lack in genetics can be easily made up for with self determination and working your a$$ off.

biggimp
04-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I also think it's pretty amazing how strong so many of the high schoolers that come here. At my gym in college I see only a very few people that ever put up 3 plates (as in definitely under 10), despite the fact that my school has the most active rec center in the whole country (as in avg. # of uses per student) and 12,000 students. Most the guys that are doing 315 have been working out several years and are pretty dedicated, and a couple are on steroids. It's amazing that so many high schoolers come on here with minimal lifting experience and hardly any knowledge of training and nonetheless are some of the strongest users on this forum.

Hell, if you can bench 300 and squat 450 then congrats to you. You may very well be able to, but I feel quite confident that a number of the younger guys are lying about their lifts. And it makes sense, younger people will tend to lie a lot more about stuff like that than older people.

DUDE are you joking????????

no offense but 315 is a pretty weak squat for only 10 out of 12,000 college students to make. that is not heavy.

dw06wu
04-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Who Gives A **** What Other People Squat

dubdoob
04-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm not saying this guy doesn't do it necissarily, or that no high schoolers do. But squatting over 400lbs is an impressive feat of strength at any age, much moreso for a high schooler. I'm talking about a raw squat, below parallel, with a slow negative and no bouncing... that's hard to find.With good levers, a strong program, and some work ethic we had 5 guys on my highschool football team squat 400+. On top of that my freshman year we had a guy squat 585 at the end of his senior year.

KingJustin
04-05-2006, 11:36 AM
By 315 I was referring to bench.

MixmasterNash
04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
I feel that I need to add my two cents. I think that high schoolers who come to a board like this are going to be the ones who are the strongest and the most fit.

Good point. Simply put, most kids lifting seriously in high school are probably playing football (with a lesser chance of some other sport), and by the time they're on the varsity team they've had 1-2 years of serious lifting, and they tend to be the larger and stronger side of things.

Edit:
Of course, I also think that people are lying their asses off at least half of the time.

Magik
04-05-2006, 03:18 PM
i understand being skeptical about it, so i have some pictures of some of my team mates maxing..there is a 345 lb bench, 325 bench, 445 squat, 319 lb clean, and 110 KILO (dont know what that is in lbs) snatch...
If Im not mistaking this is Valencia from the 661 area code in SO-CAL right? newayz u guyz did pretty damn good last season like 2 or 3 losses no? too bad you never play QHHS we'd woop on you lol, you ever play any schools from the AV? Palmdale, Lancaster, Highland, AV,Pete KNight? those guys lifting are var right? Oh and i was at a track meet at saugus I dont know if you play them and they said they were the best school in their district? either way those were impressive lifts, btw i do worry about my own lifts who cares what other guys believe or not im just scoping out the comptetition for football and also to see how other highschools stack up to mine.

pmpimpalot01
04-05-2006, 03:31 PM
400 squat doesnt even seem too high to me. I am one of 4 sophmores that ::workout:: with 400+, not just max. at least 12 people on my team can get up over 400, a couple over 5

Bob
04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Did anyone mention that good form and practice are best way to improve your Oly lifts?

BTW.. when I was in HS, I could leg press the WHOLE stack... 15 times. Yup, that universal machine hated to see me coming. <giggle><giggle><giggle>

Man, HS workout rooms have sure come a long way... the Division 1 School I went to didn't have a Football weight room advanced as that HS back when in the early 80's.... things have sure come a long way...

Magik
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
400 squat doesnt even seem too high to me. I am one of 4 sophmores that ::workout:: with 400+, not just max. at least 12 people on my team can get up over 400, a couple over 5
well then maybe u should update your sig. cuz 365 X 6 on march 24th doesnt add up to repping 400+ on workouts

trasmi21
04-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Who Gives A **** What Other People Squat

Yeah, stop pissing and moaning about it and go lift.

Meat_Head
04-06-2006, 11:46 AM

So far I've said:

"I like how there's a new high school guy who squats 400lbs every week.

As far as oly lifts go, work on flexibility and just practice practice practice. Improving your power output takes a while."

"I'm not saying this guy doesn't do it necissarily, or that no high schoolers do. But squatting over 400lbs is an impressive feat of strength at any age, much moreso for a high schooler. I'm talking about a raw squat, below parallel, with a slow negative and no bouncing... that's hard to find."

What have I said that's 'wrong'.

The only thing I could think of is maybe the statement about how squatting over 400lbs below parallel with good form and a controlled negative takes a long time to acheive... but that would only be wrong in the case of lifters with exceptional genetics or if your definition of training hard for a long time is different than mine.

So wtf is your problem?

soul71
04-07-2006, 07:46 AM
edit: nevermind, that made no sense whatsoever and now ive forgot what i even meant in the first place

soul71
04-07-2006, 07:55 AM
So far I've said:

"I'm not saying this guy doesn't do it necissarily, or that no high schoolers do. But squatting over 400lbs is an impressive feat of strength at any age, much moreso for a high schooler. I'm talking about a raw squat, below parallel, with a slow negative and no bouncing... that's hard to find."

you presume alot in your statements you made, and your just leaving yourself open to more criticism, ive seen it, and im sure others have.

as an example.. 2 of my mates at school...

one of them ive been mates with for ages.. he squats 190kg.. thats right.. 418 pounds, and guess what, he only started lifting about 2 weeks ago.. nothing serious before that (though keep in mind he is huge, like 6 foot 7.. im not sure what his bodyweight is but he's absolutely massive.. not fat at all (he has abs).. just like a giant or something)

hows that for you? he's 18, couple of months older than me

i have another friend who has been lifting a short while (and is squatting 140kg( 308.6 pounds).. not as much as the other guy). thats right.. he's been lifting a short while

my point is do not make claims that u cannot back up. you assume straight up that
"You are doing something wrong if you can squat that weight correctly and haven't been lifting for a long time... especially" and u just come accross as sounding jelous, it really isnt a good look

Sensei
04-08-2006, 12:35 AM
you presume alot in your statements you made, and your just leaving yourself open to more criticism, ive seen it, and im sure others have.
EXACTLY.

Meat,
You tend to make A LOT of assumptions in your posts and we all know what assumptions do... right? If you don't agree, let me refresh your memory on my favorite thread of all time: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71863

Meat_Head
04-08-2006, 01:08 AM
That's how my opinion comes off alot of the time, I admit that. I agree I should choose my wording better... but most of the time I just don't give a ****

and soul... I AM jealous of a 400+ pound raw squat, and I think I should be until I can beat it. That's not why I made those posts though.

Sensei
04-08-2006, 01:30 AM
That's how my opinion comes off alot of the time, I admit that. I agree I should choose my wording better.
Apology accepted.

Bohizzle
04-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Apology accepted.
LMAO

Meat_Head
04-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Apology accepted.

I don't have anything to apologize for, I'm not the one being an ass.

dw06wu
04-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Sensei, I have to say, I just read that thread you posted for the first time, and that video is ****ing hilarious. Had me seriously laughing for at least a minute. Great stuff!

trasmi21
04-08-2006, 08:49 PM
Where is Valencia? I've heard of it before...

biggimp
04-08-2006, 09:21 PM
So far I've said:

As far as oly lifts go, work on flexibility and just practice practice practice. Improving your power output takes a while."

What have I said that's 'wrong'.

The only thing I could think of is maybe the statement about how squatting over 400lbs below parallel with good form and a controlled negative takes a long time to acheive... but that would only be wrong in the case of lifters with exceptional genetics or if your definition of training hard for a long time is different than mine.

So wtf is your problem?

no offense to you or anyone else, but 400lb squat isn't really anything special. i would equate it to like a 225 bench.

now a 600lb squat on the other hand.....

Magik
04-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Where is Valencia? I've heard of it before...
oh its just a city in southern california

Goodwinm
04-08-2006, 11:30 PM
no offense to you or anyone else, but 400lb squat isn't really anything special. i would equate it to like a 225 bench.

now a 600lb squat on the other hand.....

Thanks for putting me down lol. I've done 220 for 4 reps.
I remember in P.E. class in year 8 at skool, (when i was 12) i could only get up 65kg (143lbs) Which being honest kind of shocked my p.e. teacher because he was using me as an example of how not to overload the body too much by using huge heavy weights that people at that age shouldnt be using.
So he put it on 65kg (thinking that i would no way be able to do it,) and i did it, a slight struggle and that was it. Then my p.e. teacher was shocked, and put 80kg on. I struggled then of course, and i couldnt lift that weight. only got it up a little bit.
sorry for the hijack and pointless story lol.

Sensei
04-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Sensei, I have to say, I just read that thread you posted for the first time, and that video is ****ing hilarious. Had me seriously laughing for at least a minute. Great stuff!
Thanks!

trasmi21
04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
oh its just a city in southern california

Have you had any baseball prospects come out of there lately? I know I've heard of Valencia before. Someone has had to come out of there recently...

DokterVet
04-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Geez, impressive lifts.
I too find all these strong teenagers hard to believe, as the bench press record at my high school after 18 years of 2,500 students a year was a 315 lbs and no one in my year came close to it even though a ton of guys took a weightlifting course every year.

But they keep proving us wrong on here. What do they feed you kids?

Adam
04-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Quit all the bitching at eachother and look at the American Teenage Powerlifting records.

nhlfan
04-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Good point. Simply put, most kids lifting seriously in high school are probably playing football (with a lesser chance of some other sport), and by the time they're on the varsity team they've had 1-2 years of serious lifting, and they tend to be the larger and stronger side of things.

Edit:
Of course, I also think that people are lying their asses off at least half of the time.
this sums up what most of you are thinking.

i do not apply to this though.

Goodwinm
04-12-2006, 01:52 AM

Edit:

i dont think its a case that ppl are lying their asses of half the time. I think that some of the time people are getting mixed up with weight they are lifting maybe? Probably miscalucalting it etc.Or probably not using full rom. Weights dont actually weigh what they say they weigh etc.

Also people never say wether they are doing a barbell bench press or a machine bench press. lot of difference in the ease of things.

Sensei
04-12-2006, 02:51 PM
This is like the thread that wouldn't die...

Goodwinm
04-12-2006, 04:35 PM
This is like the thread that wouldn't die...
and by adding to it ur still keeping it alive.

oh wait so am i. dang lol.

soul71
04-23-2006, 09:40 AM
who wants a cookie?

Goodwinm
04-23-2006, 09:52 AM
who wants a cookie?
ill have one.
Only if its double choc chip tho ;)