PDA

View Full Version : Oat Shakes

JesseM
04-04-2006, 10:16 AM
A lot of people add oats to their shakes, and the only way I can drink them is if I grind them to a powder before they go in the shaker. Being that the oats are powdered, I would assume this has to speed up the digestion to some degree. I hate eating oats and have always struggled to get quality carbs in. The shakes with powdered oats make it a hundred times easier, but am I still consuming low gi complex carbs? I figure it's still gotta be a better carb source than say malto commonly found in gainers, right? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Davidelmo
04-04-2006, 10:23 AM
"Better carb source"

Well it depends what you mean by "better."

Oats are 'slower' low GI and malto or dextrose is 'faster' high GI. Both serve different purposes.

I prefer oats in the morning for long term energy and malto around a workout to give immediate energy.

And yes, even if they're powdered and mixed into a shake, you're still absorbing them.

JesseM
04-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I understand that maltodextrin is a quick digesting carb. I guess what I was asking was if by grinding oats are they now closer to a high gi, faster digestion?

Holto
04-04-2006, 11:18 AM
if by grinding oats are they now closer to a high gi, faster digestion?

Slightly, yes. Why are you concerned with GI? It's an outdated concept and irrelevant unless you calculate the GI of the meal. Even then you should be calculating Glycemic Load. It's far more relevant.

Jorge Sanchez
04-04-2006, 12:57 PM
In reality, grinding your oats just allows you to skip the chewing step. It doesn`t significantly effect how quickly the oats are digested. Don't worry about little things like that.

getfit
04-04-2006, 01:42 PM
In reality, grinding your oats just allows you to skip the chewing step. It doesn`t significantly effect how quickly the oats are digested. Don't worry about little things like that.
exactly

JesseM
04-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Cool thanks guys... I didn't wanna worry. This is 100000 times easier than chewing and I believe it will be a big step in allowing myself to bulk "cleaner" than I have tried in the past.

UrbanSmooth
04-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Playa, just have a 1/2 cup to 1 cup of oatmeal for breakfast everyday. Mix in cinnamon, olive oil, honey, flaxseeds, and raisins, and you're all there. A 500+ calorie bowl of oatty goodness.

I just pimped your breakfast! You're welcome! :birthday:

Holto
04-06-2006, 10:03 AM
I just pimped your breakfast!

:zipit: :zipit: :zipit: :zipit: :zipit: :zipit: