PDA

View Full Version : Judo Want To Mess With Me

Maki Riddington
04-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Welcome to my journal where those of you who choose to follow, lurk or drop in from time to time will see the progression of a weak, injured 200 pound male transfrom himself into a human wrecking machine.

My goals are to increase my explosive strength, explosive strength endurance, flexibility, anaerobic conditioning and to rehab my shoulder, knee and elbow all on my left side. I would also love to get back to bencing and pressing but that'll take some time.

I have a partially torn left supraspinatus, strained ligament in my left knee and an elbow problem that prohibits me from curling. This is all due to grappling, Judo and simply not stretching enough. I gotta learn to practice what I preach:)

Right now my lifts are as is:

Front Squat: 5 singles at 325 (see clip on my site)
Back squat: 410 deep (no belt, had a clip but got erased)
Bench Press: Just the bar due to torn rotator cuff
Standing Military Press: Same as bench
Deadlift: 5 singles at 405 (no belt)
Barbell Hang Clean: Same as bench/SMP

My weight is currently hovering around 199. I was about 215 at my highest back in January. I wil maintain my weight around 198-205 this coming summer and work on losing some bodyfat while putting on some muscle. This is so I don't have to cut my weight to much when it comes time to competing again. I am tired of fighting guys who weigh over 230 in the heavy weight category. Plus, if I stay at 198 I will be at the high end of my category which puts me at a bit of an advantage.

My training right now consists of SPP circuits that work on increasing my explosive endurance strength, increasing my anaerobic threshold using bands, balls, bodyweighted movements and dumbbells. In the summer I will be moving some of my training sessions outdoors. I'll implement sand bags, sled dragging, kegs and maybe some tire flipping as well.

Currently I am an orange belt in Judo and a white belt in BJJ. Once my shoulder gets better I will switch from BJJ to Muay Thai. I would now, but I can't strike.

getfit
04-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Good Luck Maki, hope all goes well for you :)

Maki Riddington
04-04-2006, 05:30 PM
I have my last comp for the season this coming Saturday which will be my first one competing as an Orange belt. This means I will be competing against orange, green and blue belts. My only advantage is to sit at the top of my weight class (198) which I'm working on right now. I have to lose 4 pounds by Saturday. I'm down 3 pounds right now which puts me at 199.

My only concern is that the scale may be off at the competition so I've gotta shoot even lower just in case. Basically I'm eating two meals a day and two protein shakes (2 servings of whey in milk). I've ramped up my EC intake and will be doing a bit of strength training, nothing much though.

brickt.
04-04-2006, 05:37 PM
:spam:

You're a pussy! I'll mess wit' you! <gets ass kicked>

I look forward to your inevitable transformation in a human wrecking machine. :ninja: :clown:

Ironminded
04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Maki-
good to see the new journal, I have been lurking around your articals and website for a while and have found a ton of stuff which is helpfull.

A thought on the RC; how badly is it torn? I have had this happen to me on both shoulders and ended up just working through it, against many suggestions not to.

Having one whole side of your fram hurt has to suck, hope things get better.

Maki Riddington
04-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Maki-

A thought on the RC; how badly is it torn? I have had this happen to me on both shoulders and ended up just working through it, against many suggestions not to.

I do work through it, trust me. There's no way in hell I'm gonna give up lifting just cause one side is a bit limited. There are certain points I simply can not work through though. For example, I can not externally rotate my shoulder at all.

I'm also at a major disadvatage during grappling. BJJ is very simliar to playing chess, every move counts, one bad one can cost you. I am very limited in what I can do so if I get caught I simply tap, restart and try to learn not to put myself in that particular position again. Throwing is also another very difficult area.

After this tournament I'll be checking in with a physio that was reccomended to me. I'll have her look at my shoulder, knee and elbow and then we'll go from there.

Anthony
04-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Good luck at the tournament, bro! Be sure not to aggrevate that shoulder!!

f=ma
04-04-2006, 08:23 PM
a 325 front squat is no joke.. is that oly or bb style? oly style really aggrivates my wrist

Maki Riddington
04-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Clip of the Day

Watch Royce Gracie get choked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErvQ1DJcRA&search=gracie

Bohizzle
04-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Good luck at the tournament and hope u heal up soon!

Andrew

Patz
04-05-2006, 03:32 PM
What is an external rotation of the shouder? Would that be like a side lateral raise?

And why even get in the ring? Isn't there a chance of furthering the injury with one slip-up?

Bob
04-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Good luck with the new journal...
and the tournament.. hope no more damage is done..

Bohizzle
04-05-2006, 04:33 PM
What is an external rotation of the shouder? Would that be like a side lateral raise?

And why even get in the ring? Isn't there a chance of furthering the injury with one slip-up?
let ur arm hang at ur side, with ur hand facing u. turn ur hand so that ur palm is facing forward. iirc.

Andrew

Maki Riddington
04-05-2006, 04:40 PM

I should specify that it is an abducted external rotation. Elbow bent at a 90 degree angle in line with the shoulder. Then rotating the arm so it is in a hands up position.

It's the risk I take.:) That's what competing is all about, pushing your body to the limits in even the worst conditions and excelling. If I had a broken arm or leg things would be different.

I've found that people wimp out far too easy when they hurt themselves. I've been taught to suck it up and play.

WillKuenzel
04-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Best of luck, Maki!

Maki Riddington
04-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Workout

Deadlifts
135x10
225x5
315x3
405x1
425x1
425x1
425x1

Chin Ups
BW+35x2
BW+45x2
BW+55x2

Standing Military Press
Barx15
Barx12
Barx12

This is my first attempt at overhead pressing in 4 months. My endurance is horrible. I was aiming at hitting 3 sets of 15.

Food today was:
2 whey shakes in 2% milk (2 scoops each)
Bowl of chilli/1 whole wheat bun
Turkey breast sub on whole wheat bun

I'm starving!

Weight is at 198. I've hit my target weight which was to lose 4 pounds in 8 days. I've done it in 4. I still need to shed another 3-4 pounds though just to be safe.

Sensei
04-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I should specify that it is an abducted external rotation. Elbow bent at a 90 degree angle in line with the shoulder. Then rotating the arm so it is in a hands up position.
Internal and External Rotation (arms abducted)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/johnnymnemonic/exercise%20pics/a60fa74f.jpghttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/johnnymnemonic/exercise%20pics/cf0a3663.jpg

Maki Riddington
04-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Judo Practice

No good. I was severely bagged as a result of extreme dieiting and my mini carb up was not enough to sustain a proper level of intensity for the duration of my training. It showed because I got thrown by a couple newbies which should never happen.

I also got my head driven into the mat during Newaza (grappling) and as a result I strained my right trap and mid back. It was so bad I couldn't move my neck and I was walking lopsided.

I iced it when I got home and popped 3 super strength Motrin. I hope I'll be ok for tomorrow's comp. Either way I'm still comepeting.

Sleep was off. I went to bed at 2 am since my wife wanted me to put a big chest of drawers together for her that we had purchased from Ikea. I was up at 6am to train clients for the day. I'll be done tonight at 6pm.

Clip of the Day

Watch Billy Blanks of Tae Bo get KTFO

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8208358487313783640&q=nogueira&pl=true

Maki Riddington
04-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Competition Day

I woke up feeling really sore and banged up and I had a bit of a sore throat which has now progressed. I took a shower, had some greens plus (table spoon) in water, 2 scoops of whey in water and one banana.

I got to the comp at 12:30 and found out that there was no weight category for my group. So, I had basically wasted a whole week of crash dieting. Plus I found out that I was up against only one guy who was a green belt (one belt above me) and weighed 40 pounds more then me. Crap.

On top of this, the tourney was super slow so I didn't get onto the mat until 5:50 pm. During the time between my match I ate a turkey sandwhich on whole wheat, one cinnamon bun, two rice crispy squares and 1.5 litres of Gaterade. I napped for 45 mins as well.

By 5:30 I was pretty anxious to get on the mat and get my fights over with as it was a best of 3 match since there was only one guy in my category.

I was feeling a bit skeptical as my time approached but told myself that this is a learning experience and that no matter what happens I have to go in and do my best and be ok with it. This is just a stepping stone towards my black belt which is my goal. If I had been going to Judo 3-4 times a week I'd feel a bit more confident but I can only manage one session a week since work is so busy.

Anyways, my time came and I stepped up tp the mat to fight. I dove in and got his right leg and drove him back trying to lift him up for the throw. That was it. I drove him back far enough that he landed on his back with me on top of him. I won. It took maybe 20 seconds tops.

The second match was a bit longer, maybe a minute or so. This time I let him grab me and waited for him to do something. He tried to throw and I grabed at his leg and we went down. I landed on the side of my hsoulder and he was on top trying to pin me. At one point he had a full pin, but I turned on my back and flattened out. Then I waited for the ref to stop the fight so we could start standing up.

Once this happened we locked up again and he tried to throw me again. This time I grabbed at his waist and picked him up, dropped him and landed on top of him and proceeded to pin him. But that was it, I had won again, so I didn't have to fight for the pin.

I must say that it felt really good. I was the underdog and I had nothing to lose going in. He had everything to lose. This scenario played out the exact same way in my last tournament. I was bumped up to the brown/black belt category and I had to fight a brown belt. I beat him twice in a row to win the category.

All in all, I think I underestimate my explosive strength. Although he was 240 I felt like my strength was vastly superior. I do need to work on my conditoning in the next 5 months. I'd also like to see if I can get promoted again in the fall to green belt. However I must commit to more practices though for this to happen.

I will post a clip of the first match later as youtube is currently down.

Clip of the Day

UFC Judoka Karo Parisyan highlight reel.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-467140434981184276&q=karo+parisyan&pl=true

Maki Riddington
04-10-2006, 09:56 AM
My First Fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gqmOZeXkUg

As you can see it was quick!

Anthony
04-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Awesome job bro!! Have you thought about dehydrating the day of weigh-ins to make weight? I'm considering it, although I have to do more research so I don't screw up. Any info?

ericg
04-10-2006, 12:19 PM
That was quick. Nice job.

Bohizzle
04-10-2006, 01:30 PM
real quick, ur strength looks like it's really paying off! pity u don't have more time to practice, or u'd surely havea green belt by now (i'm assuming).

Andrew

mattburns
04-10-2006, 01:33 PM
good stuff, well done in the judo.

best of luck with your new journals and i hope your injuries heal soon

Maki Riddington
04-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Awesome job bro!! Have you thought about dehydrating the day of weigh-ins to make weight? I'm considering it, although I have to do more research so I don't screw up. Any info?

Thanks Anthony.

Actually I was going to but I figured I wouldn't have to go that far. First I would have started by cleaning out my GI tract by using a mild laxative (tea mixtures) or adding in extra fibre to my diet. This would clean the GI tract out of any excess crap or partially digested food particals. I might also look at using dandelion root as a mild diuretic which removes small amounts of water.

Then if my weight hadn't dropped enough, 3 days before hand I'd work on getting in around 2-3 gallons of water and then on day 2 drop to 1 gallon of water. Finally on the last day I'd sip on water throughout the day. Basically you're tricking the body into expelling more water via urination. On comp day you weigh in and then work on rehydrating yourself.

Maki Riddington
04-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Upper Body Workout

Standing Shoulder Military Press
Bar x15
Bar x12
Bar x15
Bar x15

Better then last time so ha!

Chin Ups
BWx12 plus 5 (band assisted ones)
BWx6 plus 5 (band assisted ones)

Bench Press

First time in 5 months since tearing my muscle.

Barx15
95x15
95x12
95x12

This actually felt ok, although I could feel my shoulder clicking.

Lat Pull Down
130x10
130x10

Jettison Curl
Bar plus 10 pounds aside plus band x8
Bar plus band x8
Bar x 10
Band x15

Massive pump and aching biceps.

Band Pressdowns
This was done to get a pump so I could get some blood to my elbow tendon as they are very sore.

Bandx20
Bandx20
Bandx15

Food
Meal 1: 2 scoops whey with 2% milk plus 1 banana
Meal 2: 1 cup cottage cheese/710 ml of Gaterade
Meal 3: Plate of spaghetti and 4 pieces of garlic toast
Meal 4: 2 scoops whey with 2% milk

I am slowly trying to bring my calories back up so I can work on maintaining my weight of 200 pounds.

Clip of The Day

BJJ Belt Choke

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2527746028152356520

Maki Riddington
04-15-2006, 03:10 PM
No workouts this week so far. I plan on a kick ass workout today that'll leave me limping.

I planned on two Judo sessions this week but only made one because nobody showed up for the other one. I tried to look for a place I could drop in and roll with some BJJ guys but none of the classes were on. I'll try for Sunday and see if I can drop in at this other place that holds BJJ classes. Since it's the long weekend I doubt the place will be open.

I found that my ground game has gotten better. I was really doing well transitioning from a pin to a mount. I also practiced turtling up and defending and then getting into a mount position.

During tachiwaza (stand up) I worked on being loose and letting my partner make a move and then reacting. This actually turned out to be very helpful and taught me that I'm too uptight. I need to react based on an oppenent's action. I also got to roill with a guy who is 260. I'd really like to work more with bigger guys so I can learn on using leverage and body position to get an adavantage. I was pretty fried after rolling with him.

Lower Body Workout

Squat
135x5
225x5
315x5
335x3
345x2
350x1

Left hip flexor was twinging so I stopped as it was hurting while I was coming out of the hole.

Leg Crank Circuit

Basically this entails taking a bilateral movement a uniltaeral movement and an explosive movement and trashing the lower body. You do each movement back to back for 24 reps each. It's a great method for working on conditioning the lower body or simple metabolic conditioning.

I used advanced movements based on my level.

Exercises used:

1.Overhead Band Squat (band tension 40 pounds)

2.Lateral Lunge

3.Frog Jumps (frog position into a jump squat and turning 180 mid air to the other side landing into a frog position and jumping back into the starting position )

Two circuits

1. x24
2. x24
3. x12 (legs would not move they were so dead)

Rode the bike for 5 minutes to get them moving.

Chubrock
04-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Hahaha the belt choke is classic. And people say I use the gi too much...

Maki Riddington
04-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Oops forgot the clip of the day.

Clip of The day

Fedor Highlight Reel (best fighter in the world)

http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=RkJY_Sf7C4I&search=fedor

Chubrock
04-15-2006, 04:13 PM
You ordering the fights tonight Maki?

Maki Riddington
04-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Nah. I don't care much for UFC. I'm a Pride guy.

Anthony
04-16-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm a Pride guy.

Truth comes out!!:moon:

MixmasterNash
04-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Fedor Highlight Reel (best fighter in the world)

Sweet training clips!

Maki Riddington
04-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Just goes to show what some good ole GPP training can do.

Maki Riddington
04-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Update

My legs are so damn sore I can't bend down let alone walk properly. Tonight I'll be looking to drop in on a BJJ class if I can find one that is actually running tonight which I doubt. Kinda frusterating cause I really want to train. If not I'll do a heavy upper body workout.

My fitness boot camp is full. I got 15 people signed up to go and I start tomorrow morning at 6 am. I had a site put together and will work on it more as I expand and run more classes. www.fitnessbootcamp.ca

Basically my structure is this:

Warm up (dodge ball etc) Something dynamic.

WOD aka MakiFit

A unique workout that will be created by myself. I have named this "Makifit." All workouts will be timed and completed according to what I do them in. If anyone beats my time, they will have the workout named after them and I will be subjected to a workout of their choice done in front of the class. Of course the WO will be within reason. heh.:)

Team Competition

I will break the group up into teams and they will compete in a number of tasks. The winners get out of doing extra work and they all win something very nice at the end. The losers, well they get to do burpees and lots of lunges and squats and get nothing but pain and soreness.

Wish me luck. I'm hoping this will be a new business venture for myself.

These guys are the only other ones who are running something simliar to what I am doing. They started before me so I guess I might be their competition. Their website is much better then mine but I have just put mine up for the sake of having it up.

http://www.alivefitness.ca/index.html

Maki Riddington
04-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Update

No training to report of yet as I opted to to go grapple at the local club I've been trying to drop in to.

After the session last night I definitely realize that my ground game severely sucks. The instructor was very helpful and is built like a ton of rocks. We worked on triangles, kimoras and passing the guard. All basic stuff but things I really need to work on.

He mentioned that my balance is good and could tell I wasn't a newbie. However, when it comes to submission wrestling I see myself as one . Judo just isn't the same as you can stall on the ground and you want to work for a pin, although submissions are allowed. It's just that the refs stand you up before you can even work towards one. I tried grabbing and stalling a lot last night and he told me to quit it and keep moving as he wants us to work on a constant attack.

He told me to loosen up and stop trying to pass through the guard. I need to work on keping my posture and defending while in the guard and then work on whatever it is I want to from the position.

At the end he asked who wanted to grapple starting from an upright position. I had lots of energy left so I opted in. The match was based on a point system which I'm not familiar with. I knew my take down would be my strong point as Judo is all about that. I landed a one leg take down with a sweep and ended up in the guys guard which I should have known better to do. Had I thrown I would have landed in a side mount or on top which I believe would have landed me two points. Instead we both got a point. From there I was stuck in the guys guard and worked on trying to pass it. We ended up tying as the guys calf cramped up after about 5-6 minutes.

My conditioning was fine and I could have gone much further due to so much standing work in Judo which completey kills me.

This was no Gi grappling which I have only done a couple times in Judo so I was satisfied with what I did. I definitely have tons of work to do and am very keen on sharpening my ground game. I am dropping in tonight as well. We'll be doing strictly technique work for 1 hour.

Thursday it will be Judo and then on Friday I'm gonna try to drop in on an open mat BJJ class at another dojo to see what it's like.

So this means that I will only hit the weights on Friday and Saturday this week. My weight has now dropped to 195 down from 217 since mid February.

Clip of The Day

Another Fedor Fight Reel (awesome fighter)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1562239811696539394&q=emelianenko

Keith
04-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Fedor is absolutely amazing! You gotta stop with the judo clips though man. Its unbelievable how much I miss it! I quit at green belt and dont really know why. I considered myself to be busy back then, but now I know I couldnt handle it unless I took something out of my time to fit that in. Stick with it bro, it mentally and physically strengthened me and I highly regret quiting.

Maki Riddington
04-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Update

Still no weight training. I will do one tonight and one tomorrow morning with my client.

On wednesday I did some technical work at the other place. Basically going over various positions and working the kimora and some other locks.

Judo on Thursday had to be hands down the best session I've had since I can remember. Here is the email that was sent out the previous week from my sensei.

Starting tonight we are now doing Judo cross training in addition to our normal practice. This will include Gi-less take downs, grab and go nage waza against striking opponents, Ground and pound drills, striker suppression
technique's and varying leg locks and submissions not legal in classical judo. There will also be a controlled sparring component.

What you will need is a mouth guard in order to participate. If you do not currently have a mouth guard you can get one at mikado for 3 bucks,(I just checked on that today) Mikado is located at 701 hastings street.

Also I have a stipulation to table at this point so everyone's clear.- This training is open to all current members of our club. Any persons joining our club after today will not be allowed to cross train with us and will have to attend an entire month of straight judo class before being allowed to cross train with us.

The reasoning behind this is that it takes awhile to learn how to land safely doing just plain old judo never mind being thrown with no gi to hang on to or in an unusual fashion. A good breakfall is essential when doing this type of training. Nobody starts with a good breakfall, I don't care if your bruce lee's uncle. Also it will give me time to feel out the new people's character to see if they are the sort who can cope with this kind of interaction. I have no time to waste on little people with big egos.

See you at class,

Brock

So Thursday we did some striking starting outside the guard. Starting with knees into our partners chest who was on top. When the guy on the ground said go the guy on top would start striking (body shots and head shots). The goal was to contain the striker and then work on a submission. The drill did not end until the person on the bottom got a submission or the striker submitted the person on the ground. Basically the guy on the ground was at a disadvantage as he could not strike back.

For me the toughest part was containing the arms and keeping my partner in my gaurd while I worked a submission. I ended up losing one and getting two. On top the difficulty was in the arms. Striking then locking continually until you get into a proper position gets to be quite tiring on the arms. Not to mention when you have gloves on you can't get a good grasp of your partner.

We also worked on kicks and used the focus pads to work jabs. We learned some ankle locks and some wrist locks as well. Then we went into standing work. One guy had the gloves on the other was working on the take down and then from the ground into a submission.

This was cool as I got caught only once with a jab but that was it. I would block and move and then work on a take down. Each take down I got a submission. One americano, one choke and two kimoras.

After that we did a bit of newaza to finish the session off. I was absolutely drained.

Clip of The Day

Karo Parisyan highlight reel (UFC fighter with a heavy Judo background)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-467140434981184276&q=karo+parisyan&pl=true

Bohizzle
04-23-2006, 10:13 AM
sounds like an awesome session man! seems like ur sensei's a really cool guy too. Is this more what u are looking for or are u more interested in just judo at this point?

Andrew

Maki Riddington
04-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Bohizzle,

I would like to get into MMA, but I feel that I need to be well versed in one art before I can fight. I figure when I have my brown belt in Judo I should be ready to focus more on entering a MMA fight.

Anthony
04-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Sounds like a great couple of classes Maki!

Maki Riddington
04-24-2006, 05:58 PM
I was goona work out with a client at 6am at the track Saturday morning but I was still feeling pretty banged up. Instead I made him workout and I watched. Heh.

Mini Workout

Managed a lame workout in the pm. But it was something.

Deadlift
135x2
225x2
315x2
410x1 (felt my hamstrings tugging so I stopped there)
225x25

Pull Ups
BWx10
BWx8
BWx6

Standing Military Press
Barx15
Barx15
Barx15

The bar is finally starting to feel light again. Phew!

Sunday morning I did a hypertrophy workout with a client.

Standing Cable Lat Row
Incline DB Chest Press
Standing DB Shoulder Press
Preacher Curl ss Cable Triceps Press Down

Really had a good workout using a 6-12 rep scheme.

KevinStarke
04-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Damn 225 x 25, my back wouldnt like that. Nice workout Maki

Maki Riddington
04-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Workout

Push Ups
BWx15
BWx12
BWx12
BWx8

Sounds like a wimpy workout but I can't do much for chest. The physio reccomended I stick with close chain movements until my shoulder is healed. Apprently I was right on the money about partially tearing my rotator cuff.

She gave me some exercises to do everyday. My left shoulder is hanging out of its socket compared to my right side so I have to be very careful with what I do.

Close Grip Chins
BW+40x2
BW+50x2
BW+50x3

Jetison Eazy Curl
25 aside with 20 pounds of band tension x 12 reps
30 pounds x 20pounds of band tension x8 reps

Cable Pressdown
40x25
40x25

Clip of The Day

Martial Arts Bloopers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdxmUkVjDLQ

KevinStarke
04-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Haha those bloopers are great, the first one though when that kid gets owned by his little brother is the best.

lilmase1153
04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Nice training Maki, be careful with the shoulder and have a speedy recovery..

Oh and damn you for getting me hooked on youtube.com Im always watching fight clips on that thign now......

Maki Riddington
05-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Update

Been very sick the last 6 days. In bed the whole time. I just had my first training session this morning. It went well.

KevinStarke
05-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Sorry to hear that man, hope your feelin better.

Maki Riddington
05-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Training Update

Went back to Judo last night. Still cross training in the MMA stuff.

Warmed up with some newaza (ground work). I decided to work on keeping my partner (he's a blue belt) in the guard position since he always likes to pin and hold me there which imo is useless since it was anything goes (leg, ankle and wrist locks were allowed as well).

Anyways, I kept him in the guard position the whole time, controlled him and even got a half choke on him when I reversed my position (my back on the ground) on him. It was a nice feeling and I think he was a bit suprised. He's always dominated me since I was white belt but now I'm learning really quickly and am catching him quite a bit. I figure in a year or so I'll be tapping him if I continue to train hard.

Techniqiue work was next. We learned how to get our arms out when tied up in the mount position and continue striking from the ground. We also learned how to submit someone on our backs who was in our guard.

Then we moved into a ground and pound position. One striker and one person on the ground who had to submit the striker. This went well, I got some nice head shots in before getting my hands tied up.

Then we went into standing work. We learned how to defend against the hockey fight style. One hand grabbing onto the Gi while the other is pummeling the opponent. Went into standing work weher the guy would try to grab our Gi and start throwing big punches, we had to react and throw them. This was bit a tough and I need to work on my reaction time some more.

The next drill was standing and take downs. One striker and one guy who was working the take down. This was great as I kept the gloves on and worked the jab. Everytime my partner moved in for the take down I'd step back. I think he was a bit frusterated as I was quick and wouldn't let him take me down from the clinch. When we did clinch I took him down with a sweep and continued raining head shots from the guard position.

During one of my take downs I ended up hyper extending all my toes so I had to stop and ice them.

That was it for class. All in all it was awesome, I wish we could do this forever. I think I may ask if I can train privately with my sensei doing this stuff to keep me sharp until I commit to training MMA at another club.

I think I may enter a grappling tournament coming up at the end of the month. http://www.combatathletics.com/events.html

I have to double check with the guys who are putting it on if I should compete in the beginners or experienced category. According to their rules I would have to have fought in a competiton to be elidgeble to fight in the experienced category. I have fought in Judo but not in any grappling tournaments so I'll have to see. I also most likely will wear a Gi although the majority will be Gi less.

Clip of The Day

Royce Gracie Highlight Reel

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1345499342804240333&q=gracie

Maki Riddington
05-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Workout

Still felt beat up fro my last session. My joints were stiff and this weight felt really heavy.

Squats ss Chin Ups
315x2 ss BW+45x2
315x2 ss BW+45x2
315x2 ss BW+45x2
315x2 ss BW+45x2

Overhead Band Squat
Bandx10
Band plus hip belt with 45 pounds x 10 reps stripped off belt and did 10 more overhead band squats
Bandx10
Bandx10

One Legged Calf Raise
105x10
105x10
105x10
105x8

Weight is sitting at 194.5

I need to get it back up to an even 200 or to 202 which is what I'd like to be sitting at during the off season.

Maki Riddington
05-11-2006, 08:27 AM
GPP Workout

I decided to work out with one my clients yesterday morning. I was pretty tired from the previous days work as I pulled a 17 hour day. I did however manage toget a cat nap before the workout so I felt a bit rested going into it. I was more concerned that I had Judo that night and that my peformance was going to suffer.

The Workout

40 walking lunges
30 jumping jacks
90 pound sled drag for 100 meters done 3 times
Wall slam 4 rounds
4 sets 10 reps of overhead band squats while other person did jumping jacks
8 line suicide

I ended up puking at the very end twice. My client did not. That's the beauty of training people and working with them. I have my strengths and my weaknesses and working with somebody forces me to conquer them.

Judo Training

I showed up to Judo and was really looking forward to a good class. I actually ended up having a great time. Everything was on today and my conditioning was awesome. It felt like I was better as a result of training in the morning.

One of the guys who showed up was this football player who I saw as a challenge, the guy is built like a house and is rock solid. He must be a good 220 or even higher. I'm used to roling with guys who are no more then 200 so I was anxious to work with him.

We did the usuall technique work and then started into ground work. The emphassi being on the guy who was on his back. His job was to close the gap and tie up the strikers hands. I roled with this blue belt and he did a great job at tieing my hands up. He almost got a choke on me but I managed to get out.

Then it was my turn, I basically kept his arms away from me although I did leave myself very vulnerable at times, I knew he couldn't get me as he was prett much gassed out. I finally rolled him and got him in a choke, he tapped cause he had nothing left in him.

Then it was on to the football player. I had the gloves and was striking he was on the ground. He is a white belt but I figured he'd still make things very tough for me. Wrong. I proceeded to work him, I went from ribs to head and back and forth. he couldn't tie my hands up and I ocassionally gave him a good hard hit in the ribs and head to make sure he knew I was holding back. He finally tapped because he was too tired.

We then reveresed the roles except my Sensei told us to take our Gi off. We started and he proceeded to wind up and hit me, I quickly tied his hands up and hooked his elbows. He was so trong that he would pick me up off the ground and slam me down trying to knock the wind out of me and he'd drive his elbows into my stomach and ribs when he did this. To offset this I worked on moving my hips in and out so he couldn't get a good hold on me to do this. He kept trying to get his hands out but couldn't. Finally I rolled him and got on top and was just about to apply a choke when my Sensei stopped us.

Maybe next time.

Then it was standing. same thing but I quickly worked on shooting in for the take down. I either hooked his legs and took him down or I shot in and picked him up and dropped him on the mat and worked the arm bar.

My main weakness last night was focus, too many times I had a move but lost it. I really have to work on seeing a potential chance to submit someone and do it.

Maki Riddington
05-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Workout

I finished up my first boot camp this morning and I saved the best workout for last. I decided to work out with them.

The Big 50

50 Squats
50 Push ups
50 Walking lunges
50 Sit-ups
50 Step ups
50 Lateral hops
50 Mountain Climbers
50 Dumbbell Chops
50 Burpees

The best time was by a girl who finished in 14:20.

My next one starts this coming Tuesday and I have 15 signed up so far.

Anthony
05-12-2006, 10:05 AM
What was your time??????? :p

The NB Provincial Judo Championship is coming up in 3 weeks. I'm not sure if I will be ready to compete, but next week I'm going to start training to keep my conditioning up. I doubt I'll get any sparring sessions in from now until then ... so we'll see what happens.

Maki Riddington
05-12-2006, 05:06 PM
She beat me by a minute. I was ahead and she blew by me when we were doing sit ups. The girl has amazing aerobic endurance. I have no problems admiting that mine is horrible.

Enter it anyways. Who cares if you lose, it's about learning. All I care is that I get my black belt. If that means losing 50 matches between now and then, so be it. But I know I'll be damn good when I get my black belt.

Maki Riddington
05-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Update

Since my last workout I've had a couple workouts. Nothing special though. I've been very tired.

I went to Judo last night., We started into giless standing and throwing. We also did stand up work (striking only). Basically we just went toe to toe with the gloves on and our bits. I got a nasty kidney shot which is just killing me right now. I also ended up puking 10 minutes into training. I felt like passing out as well.

It was a good session but Sensei really made us work hard. In the 2 hours of training the longest rest period we got inbetween bouts was about 2 minutes.

Maki Riddington
05-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Strength Training Lower Body

My lower body strength has decreased quite a bit since my weight has dropped below 200.

Squats
135x5
225x5
320x2
320x2
320x2
320x1

Hyper Extension
BW+50poundsx8
BW+50poundsx8
BW+50poundsx8
BW+50poundsx8

Calf Raises
115x10
115x10
115x10
115x10

The previous week I only got in two workouts. This week I hope I can get in at least 3, maybe even 4 if I'm lucky.

MMA Judo Training

After some thought I think during my break from Judo in the summer months I will join a boxing club to work on my striking. I will aim for 2-3 sessions a week for 8 weeks.

Wednesday's class was just downright brutal. I was so bagged after class I had to stay on the ground for a good 10 minutes before moving. My last fight lasted six and half minutes. We started standing and ended on the ground for the last bit. I was ok at keeping my distance and jabbing and then clinching and pushing him off until fatigue started to set in.

Thursday morning I did a hypertrophy workout with a client and went to class at night. This went a lot better as I wasn't as gassed. It seems that the days I train in the mornings and go to class in the eveings I end up feeling better.

Last night was good. My triceps tedons are shot and I think I may have tendonitus in both elbows, the left being worse. We worked the usual. No Gi, Gi, all out fighting, anything goes except knees and elbows. I ended up getting choked out quite bad. I passed out for a split second as a result. I also got a hit in the eye which cut it.

This morning both elbows are very stiff and tender. I iced them good after my session last night and will do so today and tomorrow. I really have to work on upping my conditon in the next 3 months so I am ready for tournament season come September. I also would like to put on a solid five pounds as well. Currently I'm sitting at 194. A solid 195 is what I'd like to be at by September 1st.

I will aim for a deadlift session tonight and do some heavy ab work.