PDA

View Full Version : Another "dirty" question - cranapple juice

TheLittleGuy
04-05-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm lactose intolerant, so can't drink loads of milk each day. I've recently discovered cranapple and cran-raspberry juice, both of which provide about 50 calories per 100ml. These calories come almost purely from sugar.

Drunk on its own, I can understand how the juice could provide a "dirty" insulin spike. But if I consume 500ml with my main meals (e.g. combining with slower-digesting carbs and protein), is it still a "dirty" food? Or is it a clever way to add 750 cals a day to my diet?

Davidelmo
04-05-2006, 07:49 AM
I'd still count it as dirty even if combined with other food and I dont think I'd make a habit of taking in loads of sugary drinks every day.

Slim Schaedle
04-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Uptake of fructose into the liver doesn't require insulin.

ddegroff
04-05-2006, 10:36 AM
^^^^i think your a little tooo concerned with Dirty vs. clean.

Slim Schaedle
04-05-2006, 12:53 PM
^^^^i think your a little tooo concerned with Dirty vs. clean.
?

When have I ever labled a food, or even sugar...or, even fructose, as dirty?

The OP referenced the sugar in cranberry juice, which is going to be fructose or high fuctose corn syrup, (maybe some dextrose, I will have to look it up) as providing "a "dirty" insulin spike."

Since fructose absorption is insulin independant, the OP is false.

I am not too sure what your point is, unless you were addressing the OP and not me.

Jorge Sanchez
04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
?

The OP referenced the sugar in cranberry juice, which is going to be fructose or high fuctose corn syrup, (maybe some dextrose, I will have to look it up) as providing "a "dirty" insulin spike."

I am not too sure what your point is, unless you were addressing the OP and not me.

I think he was refering to the original poster. And I would have to agree with him on that point.

Holto
04-05-2006, 01:14 PM
To me natural = clean.

If the juice has no sugar added it's clean, unfortunately most do.

There are tons of clean foods that are high GI/GR/GL.

ddegroff
04-05-2006, 02:20 PM
?

My bad, the ^^^ was for you because i agreed with the frutose comment. the dirty vs. clean was for the original poster.

(sorry guys the cute girl in class started talking to me, and it interupted my thinking process)

Holto
04-05-2006, 02:25 PM
(sorry guys the cute girl in class started talking to me, and it interupted my thinking process)

Good to see your priorities are in order :thumbup:

ddegroff
04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
^haha, yeah well i was in class, reading these forums and talking to her, i can do the first two at the same time, but add third and its over (you should see her legs).

Slim Schaedle
04-05-2006, 07:30 PM
^haha, yeah well i was in class, reading these forums and talking to her, i can do the first two at the same time, but add third and its over (you should see her legs).
You are forgiven. But only becuase you have a good reason. :thumbup: