PDA

View Full Version : Oly's and bench

Hazerboy
04-05-2006, 06:48 PM
I remember hearing awhile back of some olympic weightlifters getting some pretty high maxes on bench when they were tested, even though they never trained their bench. Does anyone have any examples of this? The name of the guy(s), what their maxes where, or if it was just a myth?

khari
04-05-2006, 08:54 PM
I've seen pictures one benching 180kg or so. Forget who though.

CrazyK
04-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Yeah, they use bench as GPP for their event. Just about getting strong overall.

Sensei
04-05-2006, 10:49 PM
One of the Ironmind training tapes shows Simon Kolecki and Georgi Asanidze benching during their training. I think Simon was a 94kg lifter and Georgi was a 85kg lifter. I don't have the tapes anymore, but I'm pretty sure they both went up to double bodyweight for solid reps. I think it was a bit unorthodox, but they used BP as an auxiliary exercise to help their lockout on the jerk.

Optimum08
04-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Olympic lifters just have so much overall body strength that something as singular in movement as bench wouldn't be that difficult.

khari
04-06-2006, 08:13 AM
One of the Ironmind training tapes shows Simon Kolecki and Georgi Asanidze benching during their training. I think Simon was a 94kg lifter and Georgi was a 85kg lifter. I don't have the tapes anymore, but I'm pretty sure they both went up to double bodyweight for solid reps. I think it was a bit unorthodox, but they used BP as an auxiliary exercise to help their lockout on the jerk.

There's no real lockout to speak of in the jerk. It is more just for general upper body strength to stabilize the weight overhead I would guess.

MixmasterNash
04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
The weight is certainly locked out in the jerk; it's not pressed out to lock, but it's caught in it. This is probably just semantics.

ArchAngel777
04-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Why do you guys think that the jerk is 100% leg work? It isn't... The first 1/2 of the jerk is 100% leg work, after the weight is above eye brows you drive and split... At this point you are pushing yourself down via military press to get under the weight. Trust me, it isn't all leg work and your jerk will become much better as your military press gets stronger.