PDA

View Full Version : what about some cardio?

derek mitchell
04-05-2006, 07:01 PM
I was just wondering whether to do cardio or not, I'm still trying to pack on more pounds but i want to look more cut than I am right now. Will doing some stepping or treadmill or cycling help or set me back?

brickt.
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
To pack on more pounds, you need to gain weight.
To become more 'cut' you need to lose weight.

You can't do both at once, buddy. Sorry.

And no, diet will make you lean, not cardio.

WildCard
04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
do cardio

arya202
04-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Cardio won't harm you; but what's easier running for an hour or not eating big mac?

Some are scared because of muscle loss but search for "Cardio muscle loss" in google.

russianwol
04-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Cardio doesn't always mean running too. You could get a jump rope. You could get a free standing weight bag and go at it. Do cardio to train your heart but something you like doing.

derek mitchell
04-05-2006, 09:43 PM
To pack on more pounds, you need to gain weight.
To become more 'cut' you need to lose weight.

You can't do both at once, buddy. Sorry.

And no, diet will make you lean, not cardio.

So I should get to the weight i want and then try and lose the fat?

UrbanSmooth
04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Just look in the mirror. If you're getting too fat, start a cut.

brickt.
04-05-2006, 11:11 PM
So I should get to the weight i want and then try and lose the fat?

The consensus around here is: bulk up (gain weight) until you feel too fat, then cut down (lose weight) until you're happy again.

However, we all know that it's a mental brain**** sometimes, especially when you're too fat to be lean, and too small to be big. You just wanna cut and bulk and learn Biochemistry at the same time :bang:

JoeyCrack
04-06-2006, 05:21 AM
cardio on a bulk has its benefits:
1. allows you to eat more food
2. keeps your fitness levels up
3. help you not get too fat on a bulk
4. there's more, but im too lazy/cant be bothered thinking of them

ddegroff
04-06-2006, 09:11 AM
However, we all know that it's a mental brain**** sometimes, especially when you're too fat to be lean, and too small to be big. You just wanna cut and bulk and learn Biochemistry at the same time :bang:

wow you broke it down to sound so simple!

crazyaoshi
04-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I think it also depends on your somatype. Are you an FFB [explained in the article below]? I think as an endomorph one needs to do cardio all the time, even when bulking. Could be a placebo, but it feels like it keeps our metabolism elevated or something. Yes it's good for your heart, but I also like doing it and it gives me something to do on off days and I'm not gaining mostly fat like on my last bulk; it feels like I'm recomposing.

Anyway, this article explains it much better than I can. I agree with all these points.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-118-diet

ddegroff
04-06-2006, 01:37 PM
^umm i don't see how body type really has anything to do with doing a lot of cardio or none. I also believe weight lifting increases your metabolism for ~48hrs, steady state cardio is ~24hrs. I'm not completely familar with HIIT/metabolism but i wouldnt be surprised if it was something like weight lifting. Cardio while bulking means you just need to eat more cals.

the doc
04-08-2006, 07:21 AM
cardio is part of a well balanced overall fitness plan and essential for cardiovascular health - nothing more, nothing less