PDA

View Full Version : How To PREVENT A Cold/Cough...

MonStar1023
01-18-2002, 08:44 AM
I was wondering what is the best way to prevent a cold/cough as you feel it coming on. Right now I kind of feel like I am going to get a cough and a cold... and I really want to prevent it because it will totally mess up my workouts etc.

I am thinking about doubling my vitamin C dosage to 6g per day... I dont know what else to do.

:(:(

syntekz
01-18-2002, 08:48 AM
I hear ya. I just starting coughing up junk and felt really dry when I woke up this morning. Not sure about 'for sure' remedies, but my guess is that extra rest will definately help.

MonStar1023
01-18-2002, 09:03 AM
I dont want to take any days off of my training yet because I am not sure if its bad or if itll go away or what..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Monkeybrains
01-18-2002, 10:36 AM
I've just had a really bad cold, lasted for about 2 weeks. :(
Isn't vitamin C supposed to help prevent colds?

syntekz
01-18-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Monkeybrains
Isn't vitamin C supposed to help prevent colds?

Yes, it is. Boosts your immune system.

MonStar1023
01-18-2002, 10:40 AM
I am hoping that 6000 mg. of vitamin C is enough...

:cool::cool:

Allie
01-18-2002, 10:50 AM
Hit the Vit C, Zinc, LOTS of fluids, and get some extra sleep tonight. Other than that take it easy now so your body can fight it off.

Scooby-Doo
01-20-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Allie
Hit the Vit C, Zinc, LOTS of fluids, and get some extra sleep tonight. Other than that take it easy now so your body can fight it off.

:nod:

Great advice Allie!!

Life4ever
01-22-2002, 01:31 PM
Vit C, selenium, Vit E, zinc, N-acetly(sp) cysteine,enchincea and a decongestant. Additionally, if you are congested and the decngestant isnt helping, go to the store and buy some vicks vapor rub; that usually helps clear up the sinuses and the chest congestion. I used this type of regimen on my gf; she had a flu from the symptoms she described. Well, within 3 days, she said all symptoms had subsided and she was feeling much better. Hopefully this helps, as I was sick for 6 weeks one time and I couldnt figue out what wrong; I wish i would have tried the anti oxidant regimen as I stated above. Oh well, good luck.

MonStar1023
01-29-2002, 08:49 PM
Life4ever-
Great reply bro and I wanna thank you. The problem is my sickness got a LOT worse!! I was totally cured, well so I thought, and all the sudden it totally got worse!

Vit C, selenium, Vit E, zinc, N-acetly(sp) cysteine,enchincea and a decongestant. Additionally, if you are congested and the decngestant isnt helping, go to the store and buy some vicks vapor rub; that usually helps clear up the sinuses and the chest congestion. I used this type of regimen on my gf; she had a flu from the symptoms she described.

I am taking 6000 mg. vitamin C per day, multi-vitamin/mineral twice a day, and Tylenol Cold right now... should I add Enchincea?

:help::help:

Life4ever
01-30-2002, 01:29 AM
No problem bro; and yes, I would add the enchincea. To start, take 4 capsules and then take 1- 2 capsules every 4 hours for a few days. Describe your symptoms? Are you taking selenium, too?Before bed time, If you are really congested,try rubbing the vicks vapor rub on your throat and chest;that should really help you out.:)

YatesNightBlade
01-30-2002, 02:57 AM
1g of Vit C every 2 hours does the trick.

Herc
01-30-2002, 08:47 AM
L-glutamine.

I know we think of this in bodybuilding terms, however one of it's main functions is powering the immune system. Figure 6-10g a day spaced throughout the day. That and the C and the zinc should kick it out of your system.

Oh yea and WATER, Gallons of it. you body uses it to flush out the germs.

MonStar1023
01-30-2002, 11:52 AM
I am going to grab some Vicks Dayquil pills- and add a LOT of water to my regimen. Also so more sleep will help! And I am also going to start Echincea (sp.).. also maybe spread out my Vitamin C dosage to a gram every 1-2 hours instead of 2 grams every 3-5 hours.

I am SO SO sick!!

:(:(

Monkeybrains
01-30-2002, 11:59 AM
They say garlic is a colds worst enemy, apparently eating 6-8 fresh raw garlic cloves a day is excellent for killing a cold.
Cinnamon is supposed to be good too.

Herc
01-30-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Monkeybrains
They say garlic is a colds worst enemy, apparently eating 6-8 fresh raw garlic cloves a day is excellent for killing a cold.

Not to mention anyone you talk to for the next month!

:fart:

<---- *wishes there were a bad breath smilie*

NHBFAN
02-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Yep, an apple a day keeps the doctor away ... a few garlic cloves a day keeps everyone away!

hemants
02-25-2002, 08:39 AM
All of the above work.

But by far the biggest preventor that has worked for me is going home early and sleeping for 14 hours when I feel I'm on the verge.

IceRgrrl
02-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Life4ever
Vit C, selenium, Vit E, zinc, N-acetly(sp) cysteine,enchincea and a decongestant. Additionally, if you are congested and the decngestant isnt helping, go to the store and buy some vicks vapor rub;

Better living through chemistry...

Then again, sometimes being sick and having an excuse to slow down and spend a day on the couch watching cartoons isn't that bad...:p

SShadow
03-01-2002, 02:45 PM
It's all crap. Rest and fluids are what will help your body fight a cold. Nothing more. Ask any doctor. Vitamin C *AT BEST* gets mixed reviews. None of which say C prevents a cold. Only a handful say C will shorten the duration. You can read hundreds of articles on the internet pertaining to the subject. Just do a search on something like "truth about colds."