PDA

View Full Version : Mark Henry - Strongest Man Alive?

ArchAngel777
04-06-2006, 09:10 AM
When I was searching through the Olympic "greats" I found Mark Henry... I was like, WTH? That dude was a WWF wrestler, is this the SAME guy? Well, it was... So I decided to do some more research on him and aparrently, the guy is a beast. I found this article on the web, maybe you have already seen it, but I was amazed at some of the feets he was able to accomplish.

Taken from here (http://www.criticalbench.com/Mark-Henry.htm)

In 1993 as Henry entered high school, he shattered the high school squat world record and squatted an amazing 933lbs with minimal gear! And then to make a statement, Henry squatted 953lbs deep, a record that would stay for over a decade! Mark also set the record in the deadlift, deadlifting 903lbs in high school, which is 20lbs off of the greatest deadlift ever witnessed a decade after by Andy Bolten!

Later on, in 1996 Henry wasn't just the best powerlifter in America, - No-No, he was also the Captain of the Olympic team in the clean and Jerk! Amazingly, Henry could clean nearly 500lbs and he was making headlines constantly in the weight lifting world.

Pretty cool, huh?

Stumprrp
04-06-2006, 09:31 AM
yeah, i think he is dude, ENTERING HIGH SCHOOL squatting 933 for a record and 955 atf, deadlifting 900 and + jerking 500, that man is unhuman.

khari
04-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Under 500lb clean but > 900lb squat? He must have had bad technique. He was 105+ right?

That's some pretty serious strength on the squats/deadlifts though.

Spartan936
04-06-2006, 09:40 AM
squatted an amazing 933lbs with minimal gear!

bwahahahaaha!

khari
04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
bwahahahaaha!

Don't contribute too much.

ArchAngel777
04-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Under 500lb clean but > 900lb squat? He must have had terrible technique.

Well, I am not sure how you can say that... The Olympic Lifts require Speed, Strenth, not just Strength. Doing a Squat only requires Strength, not speed. Same with the Dead Lift and so on.

In other words, there is no formula that says your clean is 50% of your squat. It all depends on the person's speed and strength.

Someone who can clean 500 pounds may not be able, in fact, to dead lift 750. He may not even be able to squat much more than 600. But someone who can Dead Lift 800, may not be able to clean 400. It varies heavily on the persons ability to move the weight with speed, and of course, technique.

ArchAngel777
04-06-2006, 09:51 AM
bwahahahaaha!

Hmmm, you probably think GEAR = ROIDS? That isn't what it means, it means most likely Knee Wraps and a Belt. Who the heck decided to call roids GEAR anyway? Absolutely stupid slang. Everyone knows what GEAR means, now the word is taken over to mean something entirely different to some people.

body
04-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Under 500lb clean but > 900lb squat? He must have had bad technique. He was 105+ right?

nearly 500 pound clean is pretty good.
how many people who can clean over 500 pound. can squat over 900 pound?

also he was about 23 in 1996? so he was still young. he could have done more if kept olympic lifting.

khari
04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, I am not sure how you can say that... The Olympic Lifts require Speed, Strenth, not just Strength. Doing a Squat only requires Strength, not speed. Same with the Dead Lift and so on.

In other words, there is no formula that says your clean is 50% of your squat. It all depends on the person's speed and strength.

Someone who can clean 500 pounds may not be able, in fact, to dead lift 750. He may not even be able to squat much more than 600. But someone who can Dead Lift 800, may not be able to clean 400. It varies heavily on the persons ability to move the weight with speed, and of course, technique.

It's certainly true that there is a point of diminishing returns for the squat with respect to clean results, but it's still pretty rare to see such a large difference in lifters with good technique. I've never seen him lift though, so I probably shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

method115
04-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Haha yea I remember that guy mark henry he came into wrestling a little bit before I stopped watching it. He was a big mofo looked like a human gorilla.

Spartan936
04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Hmmm, you probably think GEAR = ROIDS? That isn't what it means, it means most likely Knee Wraps and a Belt. Who the heck decided to call roids GEAR anyway? Absolutely stupid slang. Everyone knows what GEAR means, now the word is taken over to mean something entirely different to some people.

yeah I knew what it meant, and apparently I was the only one who thought it was a hilarious pun.

Mark henry is a big dude, and those are insane numbers, steroids or not. Is this the same guy that was in the wwe?

Twan
04-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Mark Henry lost on Sunday to the Undertaker....

Sybersnott
04-06-2006, 09:05 PM
I've met Mark Henry... a very nice guy, and strong as all get-out! I was there when he cleaned and pressed the Inch @ the 2002 AOBS.

But as for being 'The World's Strongest Man'?? Forget it... yes, Mark is strong - damn strong - but he lacks speed and agility; two essential ingredients necessary for being the WSM.

That title is one that the WWE gave to him - it's one that doesn't apply in real life or in any legitimate process.

ArchAngel777
04-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I've met Mark Henry... a very nice guy, and strong as all get-out! I was there when he cleaned and pressed the Inch @ the 2002 AOBS.

But as for being 'The World's Strongest Man'?? Forget it... yes, Mark is strong - damn strong - but he lacks speed and agility; two essential ingredients necessary for being the WSM.

That title is one that the WWE gave to him - it's one that doesn't apply in real life or in any legitimate process.

Explain to me how it is not legitmate? He set world records in the Squat and Dead Lift and all the National records for the most weight cleaned or snatched, until Shane came along. Granted, they are no longer world records, but how can you say "forget it" as if he isn't even close?

Besides, where did you come up with the requirements for WSM? He must have impressive speed to be able to Clean 480+ and where does Agility come into play?

Sybersnott
04-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Explain to me how it is not legitmate? He set world records in the Squat and Dead Lift and all the National records for the most weight cleaned or snatched, until Shane came along. Granted, they are no longer world records, but how can you say "forget it" as if he isn't even close?

Besides, where did you come up with the requirements for WSM? He must have impressive speed to be able to Clean 480+ and where does Agility come into play?

Ha ha, well - YOU are equating powerlifting feats with strongman feats and they are totally different! Do you watch WSM?? Because if you did, you'd see that they are comprised of 'strength' and 'movement' and those are fused together in most events in the WSM. You have to be strong, which Mark is - and you have to be fast, which Mark ISN'T.

To give you an example, the medley event. FW's of 300 in each hand, followed by a car flip followed by a sprint back to the line to do a 1000 pound sled pull. Strength wise, Mark has it - but as for speed and agility, sorry... he doesn't! I've seen WSM competitors fail at this too and they were just as strong as Mark. He could finish the event, to be sure, but he wouldn't be WINNING the event.

Don't confuse powerlifting with World's Strongest Man events. They don't compare... and I was referring to WSM.

khari
04-07-2006, 04:15 PM
And you were the only one talking about strongman events.

ArchAngel777
04-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Ha ha, well - YOU are equating powerlifting feats with strongman feats and they are totally different! Do you watch WSM?? Because if you did, you'd see that they are comprised of 'strength' and 'movement' and those are fused together in most events in the WSM. You have to be strong, which Mark is - and you have to be fast, which Mark ISN'T.

To give you an example, the medley event. FW's of 300 in each hand, followed by a car flip followed by a sprint back to the line to do a 1000 pound sled pull. Strength wise, Mark has it - but as for speed and agility, sorry... he doesn't! I've seen WSM competitors fail at this too and they were just as strong as Mark. He could finish the event, to be sure, but he wouldn't be WINNING the event.

Don't confuse powerlifting with World's Strongest Man events. They don't compare... and I was referring to WSM.

Wow, don't hurt yourself laughing. I do not recall talking about the Strong Man compititions at all. So, I am not sure how I can be equating Power Lifting with Strong Man compititions when I never talked about the latter...

I could be wrong on this (sincerely) but, I didn't think they were called "World's Strongest Man" events... I thought they were called "Strongman"... Am I wrong on that?

Anyway, at least now I know where you were coming from, after explaining it. You might want to be more clear next time.

chris mason
04-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Mark Henry won the Arnold Strength Challenge a few years back with minimal training (he was an active WWE wrestler). The man is a strength phenom with great versatility (top strongman, very good powerlifter, and decent Olympic lifter).

Mark went into wrestling at a young age and certainly never reached his potential in ANY strength athletic endeavor.

DokterVet
04-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I could be wrong on this (sincerely) but, I didn't think they were called "World's Strongest Man" events... I thought they were called "Strongman"... Am I wrong on that?

The biggest strongman event is called "The World's Strongest Man." The title of "World's Strongest Man" is normally reserved for the winner of "The World's Strongest Man."

Sybersnott
04-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Wow, don't hurt yourself laughing. I do not recall talking about the Strong Man compititions at all. So, I am not sure how I can be equating Power Lifting with Strong Man compititions when I never talked about the latter...

Perhaps I was wrong, or maybe I didn't understand what you were getting at.

The WWE calls Mark Henry the 'World's Strongest Man'... why I don't know. He's strong, but exactly what did he do to be called that?? Nothing.

The WSM is a contest run by and sponsored by Met-Rx. They are a series of events requiring strength, speed and skill to determine who, in the end, would gather the most points and win the contest. The winner of the contest is considered to be, officially or unofficially, the "World's Strongest Man".

Anyway, at least now I know where you were coming from, after explaining it. You might want to be more clear next time.

I thought I was. :bash:

KeMiKaL
04-09-2006, 10:28 PM
that one site is really weird...how many times do they have to use his name

Saggas
04-30-2006, 03:12 AM
whatever way you look at it. he sure as hell lifts alot more than any guy ive ever seen.

toki
04-30-2006, 10:18 PM
mark henry, ugliest man alive.

Goodwinm
05-01-2006, 04:04 AM
Well if you wanna see some great Strong Men who compete in WSM then you need to go look at.

Mariusz pudzianowski. An absolute beast.
training clip: http://www.irongodz.com/video/Pudganowski.wmv

Or Glenn Ross. A superb credit to Ireland.

I think he has quit WSM now, or taken a break to do powerlfiting. To which he will totally kill anybodys records. At the Irish Senior Powerlifting Championships he achieved the following.

Sqaut: 380kg (836lbs)
Bench: 240kg (528lbs)
Deadlift: 380kg (836lbs)

Total: 1000kg (2200lbs) *incredible*

Apparntly with a lot left in him. He could have done 1100kg (2420lbs)

Isaac Wilkins
05-01-2006, 06:47 AM
Or Glenn Ross. A superb credit to Ireland.

I think he has quit WSM now, or taken a break to do powerlfiting. To which he will totally kill anybodys records. At the Irish Senior Powerlifting Championships he achieved the following.

Sqaut: 380kg (836lbs)
Bench: 240kg (528lbs)
Deadlift: 380kg (836lbs)

Total: 1000kg (2200lbs) *incredible*

Apparntly with a lot left in him. He could have done 1100kg (2420lbs)

Those totals are pretty good but unless he's a 220, which he's not, they won't be crushing any records.

Goodwinm
05-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Those totals are pretty good but unless he's a 220, which he's not, they won't be crushing any records.
Noo i doubt glenn ross is 220. Hes closer to 350lbs i believe. very big man!

whome
05-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Let me rephrase this for you. Those totals are close to the records for the 165 class.(Oleksander Kutcher totaled 2120 at 165. brad Vargeson totaled over 2200 at 181.) which he is not. he would be in probably the 308's or shw depending on his training cycle. in a real compition if a 308er put up a 2200lbs total he is going to get smoked by atleast 300lbs. maybe even 4.

Goodwinm
05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Let me rephrase this for you. Those totals are close to the records for the 165 class.(Oleksander Kutcher totaled 2120 at 165. brad Vargeson totaled over 2200 at 181.) which he is not. he would be in probably the 308's or shw depending on his training cycle. in a real compition if a 308er put up a 2200lbs total he is going to get smoked by atleast 300lbs. maybe even 4.
I kinda forget for a minute about weight classes (****) lol. Well he still as strong as a mule.

body
05-02-2006, 02:44 AM
I kinda forget for a minute about weight classes (****) lol. Well he still as strong as a mule.

did he not do the comp raw though?

Goodwinm
05-02-2006, 03:37 AM
did he not do the comp raw though?
yep i think so, So still very impressive!

Bam
05-02-2006, 11:50 AM
if you can squat 900+ and bench 400+ your a beast.

amazing if you do it natural(creatine,protein)

steroids your a faggg =D

KevinStarke
05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Oleksander Kutcher totaled 2120 at 165

Kutchers actually at 2171 now.

monotone
05-02-2006, 02:43 PM

steroids your a faggg =D

thanks for the life lesson :rolleyes:

whome
05-03-2006, 12:44 PM

steroids your a faggg =D

All depends on your weight class kid. If i at 300 only benched 400 i would be a girl. Now a 900+ squat for a 308er is not to bad since it is triple body weight. but there are 220ers doing over a grand. so its not all that good. i feel to be called a true beast 3.5xbwt on the squat 2.5xbwt for bench and 2.5xbwt on the deads would have to be accomplished. for me that would be 2550 total. Nope im not a beast. but damn close

CDONDICI
05-04-2006, 01:18 PM
On top of all his lifts, Mark Henry could dunk a basketball on a 10' net at a BW of like 380.

Also:
Snatch- 396lbs
C&J- 484lb

SaVvY
05-16-2006, 06:48 AM
its well known that henry's 'worlds strongest man' title is no joke - he was given that title because he at the time had the all time record p/l + w/l total

he also won the arnold classic with only a month of training on the equipment (unheard of), when he was billed @ 350 a few months before hand as well, came in @ 390 for the comp, when hes been 400-450 before hand (maybe a little more i dont know)

his 10 year wwe contract finishes this year - hope he hits the powerlifting / strongman scene again, he could still smash all time records and win another arnold imo

WBBIRL
05-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Im not big on BW/weight lifted kinda comparisions... mainly because I come out on the loseing end. But IMHO benching 400lbs is a feat no matter if you weigh 135 or 445. More often then not the people who are too much over 250lbs, like me, have a substantial amount of fat on them. I would like to think my fat hasnt aided me at all in the gym thusfar.

chris mason
05-16-2006, 11:06 AM
All depends on your weight class kid. If i at 300 only benched 400 i would be a girl. Now a 900+ squat for a 308er is not to bad since it is triple body weight. but there are 220ers doing over a grand. so its not all that good. i feel to be called a true beast 3.5xbwt on the squat 2.5xbwt for bench and 2.5xbwt on the deads would have to be accomplished. for me that would be 2550 total. Nope im not a beast. but damn close

Your numbers also all depend on whether or not you are training equipped. A 400 lbs raw bench with a pause is an impressive feat no matter what. World class, heck no, but a very good lift.

How many 308+ guys are squatting 900+ raw?

You see my point?

Nik00117
05-16-2006, 12:18 PM
I saw a guy at the gym today he was benching 305 RAW and he was repping it. That was impressive I asked what his max was and he said 650 which is believeable with shirt.

JHolmes145
05-17-2006, 08:15 PM

steroids your a faggg =D

i cant seem to find the correlation between sexual orientation and use of performance enhancing drugs

sharbu
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Was just reading some of the comments on Mark Henry. Yes "world's strongest man" is WWE billing, but Mark isn't exactly weak. When he was producing his 'records' back in the 90's, he was America's strongest olympic style lifter (snatch and clean & jerk). He was also an accomplshed power lifter withiout all the "exotic" gear they have today and if you can find the sites, you'll see his powerlifting marks are among the very top without using special shirts and suits. When he was lifting as an 'amateur' his olympic and power lifting totals (combined) were among he very elite if not tops of the time.

Now. Speaking of strength, I have two other tidbits to toss into the fray. Back in the late 50's early 60's Paul Anderson squatted 1200 and he could clean and jerk around 450. Back in the mid 50's he and Canadian Doug Hepburn were the first to press (not bench) over 400 lbs. However Paul's amateur career was cut short because shortly after the 1956 Olympics (which he won) he did a carnival act using his strength and the AAU declared him a pro making him ineligible for further competition.

Back in the mid 80's, another pro wrestler for the WWE, a Canadian named Dino Bravo performed what I felt was the most amazing bench of that time, On national TV in nothing more than wrestling tights and shoes - in the middle of the ring - he benched 660 lbs. Dino weighed 260 (no elbow wraps either). He tried 716 and pushed it up but with considerable assistance from his spotter Jesse Ventura (yes, the former governor of Minnesota), but the 660 stays in my mind. On the same list of top lifts, Dino's bench still rates as one of the best 'pure' benches ever - except it wasn't done in competition. Dino was a pro. What can I say?

Something more to think about when it comes to strength and I'm not even going but to mention the "Pocket Hercules", that Bulgarian/Turkish lifter who at 130 lbs. bodyweight clean & jerked over 400 (I can't pronounce his name much less spell it - Solmangulov or something).

enjoy

Ben Moore
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello 2006!

DrDudley-Robey
03-12-2009, 01:03 AM
I bet anonymous who posts on all the message board could take him!!!!! LOL

evilxxx
03-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Was just reading some of the comments on Mark Henry. Yes "world's strongest man" is WWE billing, but Mark isn't exactly weak. When he was producing his 'records' back in the 90's, he was America's strongest olympic style lifter (snatch and clean & jerk). He was also an accomplshed power lifter withiout all the "exotic" gear they have today and if you can find the sites, you'll see his powerlifting marks are among the very top without using special shirts and suits. When he was lifting as an 'amateur' his olympic and power lifting totals (combined) were among he very elite if not tops of the time.

Now. Speaking of strength, I have two other tidbits to toss into the fray. Back in the late 50's early 60's Paul Anderson squatted 1200 and he could clean and jerk around 450. Back in the mid 50's he and Canadian Doug Hepburn were the first to press (not bench) over 400 lbs. However Paul's amateur career was cut short because shortly after the 1956 Olympics (which he won) he did a carnival act using his strength and the AAU declared him a pro making him ineligible for further competition.

Back in the mid 80's, another pro wrestler for the WWE, a Canadian named Dino Bravo performed what I felt was the most amazing bench of that time, On national TV in nothing more than wrestling tights and shoes - in the middle of the ring - he benched 660 lbs. Dino weighed 260 (no elbow wraps either). He tried 716 and pushed it up but with considerable assistance from his spotter Jesse Ventura (yes, the former governor of Minnesota), but the 660 stays in my mind. On the same list of top lifts, Dino's bench still rates as one of the best 'pure' benches ever - except it wasn't done in competition. Dino was a pro. What can I say?

Something more to think about when it comes to strength and I'm not even going but to mention the "Pocket Hercules", that Bulgarian/Turkish lifter who at 130 lbs. bodyweight clean & jerked over 400 (I can't pronounce his name much less spell it - Solmangulov or something).

enjoy

Are you talking about Naim Suleymanoglu ? the kid broke a few records on the same event at 17 or 18yo (way back early 80's)

KarstenDD
03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I bet anonymous who posts on all the message board could take him!!!!! LOL

Dude, he's SOO strong.

joey54
03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Dino Bravo also did a push up with Earthquake on his back. The Warrior got crushed!

Hazerboy
03-12-2009, 09:00 PM
enjoy

It was actually 655 XD XD

HIBbQkyFmyk

Guido
03-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I actually got a pic of Mark Henry at the Arnold. He is a beast.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/ryan1171/Arnold%20Classic%2009/100_0775.jpg

Tom Mutaffis
03-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Kaz is the strongest man who has ever lived...

J.C.
03-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Glenn Ross is getting old now but he has some impressive lifts to his name. Apparently he holds the records on some strongman events, he was just too much of a fat bastard for any of the athletic ones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Ross

O.D. Wilson was probably the strongest man never to have won the title. He was 420 pounds at a height of 6'5 and I think he beat Kaz's total for the big three. Very little info about him on the net though. The thing about Kaz is that in those old clips he looks terrifying! When he got worked up it was like the rage was his power source.

Lones Green
03-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I actually got a pic of Mark Henry at the Arnold. He is a beast.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/ryan1171/Arnold%20Classic%2009/100_0775.jpg

The guy in the giants jersey looks so frightened! LOL!!!

HP666
03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
It was actually 655 XD XD

HIBbQkyFmyk

And was it legit???????? :angel:

Goll65
02-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Perhaps I was wrong, or maybe I didn't understand what you were getting at.

The WWE calls Mark Henry the 'World's Strongest Man'... why I don't know. He's strong, but exactly what did he do to be called that?? Nothing.

The WSM is a contest run by and sponsored by Met-Rx. They are a series of events requiring strength, speed and skill to determine who, in the end, would gather the most points and win the contest. The winner of the contest is considered to be, officially or unofficially, the "World's Strongest Man".

I thought I was. :bash:

They call him The Worlds Strongest Man because between the 3 powerlifts and 2 olympic lifts he has the highest 5 lift total ever. He has great speed and agility for a 400 pounder watch him wrestle he can move, he has had a more successful pro wrestling career than Kaz, whose an all time great. And the title is like what America calls soccer the rest of the world calls football, and we call football football. just a name, dosent the title powerlifting fit olympic lifting better cause of the speed an explosiveness just a name

chris mason
02-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Mark Henry is an incredibly strong man and has won the Arnold Strongman beating some very notable individuals. I won't say he is the world's strongest man, but he potentially could be if he trained for it in my opinion.