PDA

View Full Version : Football Training

Nik00117
04-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I want to become a linemen i've been working out for a while and I wanted to know what should I do for a work out? I becnh like 165 atm. I love bench and really want to keep it in my workout routie. Other information. I'm 16 years old, I weigh 185, but I will be 205 soon. I intend on getting back to my old weight soon.

Eszekial
04-06-2006, 03:31 PM
plyometrics.

Start jumping.

Bohizzle
04-06-2006, 03:39 PM
plyometrics, squat, bench, dead, and cleans. u will grow if u eat enough food.

Andrew

Nik00117
04-06-2006, 04:12 PM
I know what the rest is why what heck is plyometrics?

Skinny Fat
04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Google is your friend. Without putting any effort in, here's a definition; anybody who wants to tear it apart and put in a better one is free to:

Speed and strength are integral components of fitness found in varying degrees in virtually all athletic movements. Simply put the combination of speed and strength is power. For many years coaches and athletes have sought to improve power in order to enhance performance. Throughout this century and no doubt long before, jumping, bounding and hopping exercises have been used in various ways to enhance athletic performance. In recent years this distinct method of training for power or explosiveness has been termed plyometrics. Whatever the origins of the word the term is used to describe the method of training which seeks to enhance the explosive reaction of the individual through powerful muscular contractions as a result of rapid eccentric contractions.

Phelon
04-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Im a football player, Outside linebacker, Florida's Line backer of the year 2 years ago. Plyo's, get ur verts up, squats, deads, cleans/jerks, bench, stay focused, work ur ass off. Learn the plays of course, learn how to read an offense. Try and get ur speed up a little, i'd say ATLEAST 5.5-40, thats reasonable. Because depends on what linebacker POS u play, u'll have to cover sometimes, if theres a blits or what not.

ericg
04-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Check out this article/routine: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=187

Here is a good thread discussing the article as well: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=57888

BigRic
04-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Im a football player, Outside linebacker, Florida's Line backer of the year 2 years ago. Plyo's, get ur verts up, squats, deads, cleans/jerks, bench, stay focused, work ur ass off. Learn the plays of course, learn how to read an offense. Try and get ur speed up a little, i'd say ATLEAST 5.5-40, thats reasonable. Because depends on what linebacker POS u play, u'll have to cover sometimes, if theres a blits or what not.
Are you kidding me? a 5.5-40 ffor a 205 lb lineman? maybe like a 4.9

Jinkies
04-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Honestly I think you need to shoot for another position, a good lineman is over 235 and atleast 6 feet tall.

Optimum08
04-08-2006, 11:35 PM
are you totally set on becoming a lineman?

Magik
04-11-2006, 12:47 AM
I want to become a linemen i've been working out for a while and I wanted to know what should I do for a work out? I becnh like 165 atm. I love bench and really want to keep it in my workout routie. Other information. I'm 16 years old, I weigh 185, but I will be 205 soon. I intend on getting back to my old weight soon.
season is starting soon you dont want to get stuck in a transition from 185 to (your goals here for lineman) because then you wont be good on the line or anywehre else if your really gonna be a lineman start training hard im training hard right now to be DE because long story short I quit on my coach last seasons and as a result im stuck playing JV this season for at least the first half but as far as college ball goes i wont get a scholarship as a DT simply because minimium requirements are usually around 6' 0" and 275-300 lbs and so it wont hurt me to get down in weight and 40's time to be a DE but i weigh 220 and im 5' 10" and im a decent varisty lineman because of my leg power and explosion out of that 3 point stance my bench is weak but that only does so much work out your lower body id say if you want to play lineman (unless you want to paly varsity then you got to AIM a lot higher) aim for at least 215 get your 40's down to 4.9 at (I'm 5.0-5.1 @ 220 lbs) and what are your squats at? if uve broken 250 lbs on squats and or dealifts your doing good,

nhlfan
04-11-2006, 09:37 PM
250lb squat and deadlift for a football player is not strong enough at all.

Magik
04-11-2006, 09:52 PM
250lb squat and deadlift for a football player is not strong enough at all.
its good enough for someone starting off as a lineman and i hit a lot harder on the field than my lifts would lead you to believe it takes skill too not just strength besides NFL palyers squat like around 600 or more so lifting 250 on a Junior Varisty team is perfectly fine he can be center maybe not a DT I mean Im good enough to be VAR right now and my lifts are 300 on squats and 325 on dead lifts and im looking at adding another 50 pounds to that by the summer and after that I got two more years left of highscool to get higher im lo0king at 450-500 my senior year.

Ozz
04-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Lineman offense or defense? Either way you want explosion. Plyometrics are the best thing for you. Eat as much as you can manage and lift weights. If you hit the other guy before he hits you and lower than him...you win. (Disclaimer: not if you weigh 210 and you hit a 7ft 400lb kid....it hurts)

backseatwitme13
04-25-2006, 09:05 PM
linemen should focus mostly on squats, cleans, incline and bench. make those your main workouts and just do little stuff too like sprints, hills, pushups, and curls(leg and arm) leg extentsion... pretty much focus on making your leg alot stronger. legs are the moneymakers for linemen

Nik00117
04-26-2006, 03:30 PM
I've never truly DONE squats, my deadlift is 185 atm however so 250 on deadlift shouldn't be too hard to make considering i've only been deadlifting for like 2 weeks now. And i'll work on squats, i've never done a squat in my life, i do leg presses thats about it. And i've been working hard on my legs as well. And i'm truly set on linemen or anything I hate running.

BigRic
04-26-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't know what kind of offense your highschool runs but lineman can actually run quite a bit.

Jinkies
04-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Lineman probably work harder then most positions during practice, maybe less running but alot more endurance. Football isnt a contact sport, its a collusion sport so if you want to play linemen get used to gettin bruised and headaches after every hit.

Ozz
04-26-2006, 07:18 PM
I know as a D-lineman we are worn out before we ever get to our defense drills or anything. Everyone else got it easy compared to us. I don't know if that is our coach or a standard but you can expect to run a lot as a d-lineman. Also eat well and eat a lot.... I played at 205 last year but need to get up 10-15lbs in weight. It will help me a lot.

Nik00117
04-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Erm, never relieased that linemen run a lot. I figured esp as a defensive lienmen all i'd have to do is sit there and wait for the other person to hit me. I'm not deadset on linemen. I'll just continue working out and when football season starts along with tryouts and stuff I'm sure i'll find my right niche.

dahviet
04-29-2006, 12:33 AM
I wanna get my speed faster.. Ive started to run and want to get my 40's faster.. I wanna play ball this season but im small SO i gotta prove them my speed is outstanding so I can be on the team... Any tips?

Magik
04-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Erm, never relieased that linemen run a lot. I figured esp as a defensive lienmen all i'd have to do is sit there and wait for the other person to hit me. I'm not deadset on linemen. I'll just continue working out and when football season starts along with tryouts and stuff I'm sure i'll find my right niche.
Just remember that if you decide to be a lineman you will work harder than most everyone on the field and in the weightroom. You have to be ready physically and mentally and you have a load of responsibilities that, should you fail to fulfill, can cost you the game. If you lose, more often than not, you will get blamed and when your team wins, more often than not, you WILL NOT get credit. It is the most unsung position on that field. But I LOVE IT. On another note sort of :offtopic: Listen to Peace With Inches Speech by Al Pacino from Any Given Sunday and remember that if you have the HEART you will find your place on most any team. So Good Luck with w.e you decide.

Jinkies
04-29-2006, 04:20 PM
You work the hardest and get the least ammount of credit on the team. On the note of d line though i was wondering if theres something wrong with my helmet or maybe my form if each hit my head is ringing. Practice is easy but my head wont stop banging

Ozz
04-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Maybe you hit that hard.

jed
05-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Honestly I think you need to shoot for another position, a good lineman is over 235 and atleast 6 feet tall.

Untrue. We have a Left Tackle and Defensive End thats about 215, 6'3" As a Sophomore he started Varsity on both positions, occasionally switching with another more experienced DE. That year he won All-State offensive tackle and All-District defensive end. This year he started both ways full time, got All-State DE and OT. He squats around 405, benches about 300 and power cleans near 235. He's already recieved numerous college letters about joining their football team and how there interested in him. He's my idol.

So, back to the main topic, plyometrics are a MUST for linemen. I also play OT and DE and one of the most important things on the outside positions on the line is speed and quick and good feet. Ofcourse size and strength are a must to. Be sure to do power cleans or any type of clean to work on explosiveness of the line. Squat for over all leg strength and some upper body strength too. Bench of course is good to have up, but more important is leg strength. Work your triceps and delts, too. Those are muscles that make up the bench and the pushing movement, along with pecs. Also a decent vertical is good to have for those times on defense you break through and the son of a b!tch quarterback is scared to death of you and he throws it up, you might be able to swat it or maybe even intercept it. Quick hands are good to have, too, to get up in other linemens face or throw them down by the back of their helmets, (thats somewhat unsportsmanlike, but not really against the rules) Well, that's my 2 cents. hope it helps.

Magik
05-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Untrue. We have a Left Tackle and Defensive End thats about 215, 6'3" As a Sophomore he started Varsity on both positions, occasionally switching with another more experienced DE. That year he won All-State offensive tackle and All-District defensive end. This year he started both ways full time, got All-State DE and OT. He squats around 405, benches about 300 and power cleans near 235. He's already recieved numerous college letters about joining their football team and how there interested in him. He's my idol.

Hes 6'3" so your untrue statement is false Jinkies said they need to be over 6' and the weight is the least of your worries but trust me when hes a senior they will tell him he needs to pack on weight to be a DT or an OT at D1 school. And he must have horrible form on cleans if he squats and benches that much but he can only clean 235? Even without form you would think he could muscle up more than that.

jed
05-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Maybe he does have terrible form. I know this guy and he never cheats himself. If his form is lacking 1% he'll take the weight off until he can do it. And I dont understand what your saying about what jinkies said? He said over 6 foot, yeah he is, but his weight is only 215... bleh anyways my point was you dont have to be that much weight to be a good lineman.

Magik
05-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Maybe he does have terrible form. I know this guy and he never cheats himself. If his form is lacking 1% he'll take the weight off until he can do it. And I dont understand what your saying about what jinkies said? He said over 6 foot, yeah he is, but his weight is only 215... bleh anyways my point was you dont have to be that much weight to be a good lineman.

Well what I know from some of Jinkies other posts is that he wants to play college ball. And a D1 school like USC for example will look at someone like your friend (the way you described them) but when it all goes down they will, most likely, ask him to put on weight. You see, letters can be received your Junior year (like your friend) but 1 on 1 verbals (talking about scholarships and stuff) may not be had until your senior year. At that point they will probably tell him what he needs improve on and what needs to be changed. USC's smallest OT is 6' 4" and 250 pounds. Their smallest DT is 6' 2" 265 (there are shorter ones but they are heavy). And Their smallest DE is 6' 0" 220 (sounds more like your friend) so like I said for highschool those are damn good numbers but in College, assuming he wants to go to a D1, he wouldnt cut it as a DT or OT at that weight but probably as a DE which would probably still require weight.

jed
05-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Im sure your right, thanks for not smashing me into the ground for that :P You know a lot more than me about this stuff, I just like to talk about him I guess lol. Well i'm hoping he can put on another 20 or so before he graduates so he has a good chance.

Magik
05-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Im sure your right, thanks for not smashing me into the ground for that :P You know a lot more than me about this stuff, I just like to talk about him I guess lol. Well i'm hoping he can put on another 20 or so before he graduates so he has a good chance.
The way you described him im pretty sure he has a really good chance. Oh and BTW really nice stats at your weight and age.

jed
05-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey thanks alot man, people saying that stuff to me gives me alot of motivation, theres three things that I love in this world. One my family and two weights and three, football. Someday I hope to break all the records at my school and become the best lineman to ever step foot on to the all mighty "Pit" (football field name :D ) Sorry i'm getting pretty self-centered and off-topic here... I'm done.

Bam
05-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Put on some weight or try for line backer you need to be mid size with a lot of speed.