PDA

View Full Version : Is it cool to throw in a sporatic week or PSMF?

Behemoth
04-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Been dieting for about 6 weeks now I think. My current caloric intake is about 2300 daily. I'm not sure how many calories I would want to eat on a PSMF diet but I'm guessing its close to half of that. Would throwing in a week of PSMF here and there, then back to my regular diet be a reasonable idea?

Comment.

brickt.
04-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Well, normally I think it'd be an awesome idea just to throw in 1 week psmf if your getting a bit soft, it'll go along way in helping you stay lean during a bulk.

But, you say you've been dieting for a while now... hmm. I'd go post on lyle's board to find out if you'd need to refeed before you did it, as to not completely stall your BMR.

Behemoth
04-06-2006, 05:40 PM
I know that PSMF is geared towards anti-catabolism... but I would have to think that going from ANY bulking diet directly to ANY cutting diet for a week then back would be a catastrophic idea not an awesome idea.... But I guess that's off topic... I hate registering on new boards, any other comments before I do so?

Holto
04-06-2006, 05:59 PM
You'd need to refeed before you did it, as to not completely stall your BMR.

Sound advice. If you do make this aggresive move be sure to do the refeed.

brickt.
04-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I know that PSMF is geared towards anti-catabolism... but I would have to think that going from ANY bulking diet directly to ANY cutting diet for a week then back would be a catastrophic idea not an awesome idea.... But I guess that's off topic... I hate registering on new boards, any other comments before I do so?

This is a good point..

Hmm..

Any PSMF fellas know if it would be bad to dorp in a few 1 week psmf stints during a long bulk, to keep fat gains to a min? Or would it be, as Behomoth says, catastrophic (I assume he is talking about loss of new gains during that time)

Sidior
04-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Sound advice. If you do make this aggresive move be sure to do the refeed.

so Holto you think a week of PSMF during a regular calorie deficient cut would be a good idea as long as you refeed porperly?

Holto
04-06-2006, 09:28 PM
so Holto you think a week of PSMF during a regular calorie deficient cut would be a good idea as long as you refeed porperly?

No. I'd rather see 2 weeks PSMF alternated with 1 weeks maintenance.

brickt.
04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
That's what I'm thinking about doing in Semtember.

Days 1-14: PSMF
Days 15-21: Maintenance
Days 22-28: PSMF
Than back to Maintenance

I'll have to hit up Lyle tho to make sure I'm not going to kill my muscles or metabolism.

Sidior
04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
No. I'd rather see 2 weeks PSMF alternated with 1 weeks maintenance.

so if you wanted to go from a regular cut involving maybe a 500 calorie deficit to a PSMF for a bit then back again could you handle it like this.....

Week 1: however you were cutting before, lets say down 500 cals daily
Week 2: Eat at maintenance
Week 3: PSMF
Week 4: PSMF
Week 5: maintenance again
Week 6: back to 500 cal deficit for the rest of the cut?

Holto
04-06-2006, 09:44 PM
so if you wanted to go from a regular cut involving maybe a 500 calorie deficit to a PSMF for a bit then back again could you handle it like this.....

Week 1: however you were cutting before, lets say down 500 cals daily
Week 2: Eat at maintenance
Week 3: PSMF
Week 4: PSMF
Week 5: maintenance again
Week 6: back to 500 cal deficit for the rest of the cut?

One week of maintenance after the 'first' cut seems too short. Ideally with PMSF you are in 3-4 weeks of maintenance prior. Nothing will shut your metabolism down more than fasting. I like Brickts idea better, or in general, starting a cut with PMSF, then doing 1-2 weeks at maintenance then -500 for the rest.

brickt.
04-06-2006, 09:51 PM
^^
Yes, that would be good if you're sub 15% BF. If you're over 15%, Lyle reckons you can stay on PSMF for about 6 weeks before you need a refeed. And if your like 20%+, you don't get any! Hah ;)

I really recommend you buy the book or find someone that has it...

brickt.
04-06-2006, 09:53 PM
One week of maintenance after the 'first' cut seems too short. Ideally with PMSF you are in 3-4 weeks of maintenance prior. Nothing will shut your metabolism down more than fasting. I like Brickts idea better, or in general, starting a cut with PMSF, then doing 1-2 weeks at maintenance then -500 for the rest.

H, would it be bad to jump from bulking straight into a 2 week psmf stint, then back into bulking?

I know metabolic shutdown won't occur in two weeks, and normally one would not lose any LBM if they knew what they were doing, I was just wondering if going from a surplus to a heavy deficit straiight away would effect anything.

Jordanbcool
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
H, would it be bad to jump from bulking straight into a 2 week psmf stint, then back into bulking?

I know metabolic shutdown won't occur in two weeks, and normally one would not lose any LBM if they knew what they were doing, I was just wondering if going from a surplus to a heavy deficit straiight away would effect anything.

Brickt how much is that damned book

Davidelmo
04-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Yep, I'm also interested.

I heard that PSMF is great for dropping a lot of fat quickly.

I'm round about 15% and have been bulking for 7 months now. I'd love to throw in a week of PMSF and ditch a bit of fat if it's possible.

More info please :D

Holto
04-07-2006, 09:11 AM

To me that would literally be ideal. 8 weeks bulking + 2weeks PMSF sounds like a lifestyle.

TheGimp
04-07-2006, 09:34 AM
I know that Lyle McD. recommends going straight from a high calorie diet to a low calorie one when beginning a new cycle of UD2.0 to take maximum advantage of the calorie deficit.

Excellent idea there Holto.

Behemoth
04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
This is a good point..

Hmm..

Any PSMF fellas know if it would be bad to dorp in a few 1 week psmf stints during a long bulk, to keep fat gains to a min? Or would it be, as Behomoth says, catastrophic (I assume he is talking about loss of new gains during that time)

I'm really more concerned with what it would to drop in a few stints during a regular cut. But if that's a different question you're just throwing in there, that's fine.

Out of everyone who has given caloric examples on how to alternate this in (appreciate them), who has done PSMF?

smalls
04-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Is your progress stalling?

I really dont understand the point of a PSMF diet unless you are really grossly overfat, or just hugely impatient (which I sometimes am). I've done it shortly and will never again. My results have been very similar this time around but I have lost almost no strength in the gym and its taking maybe 15% longer.

But to each there own. But if your current diet is working why change it?

Jordanbcool
04-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Is your progress stalling?

I really dont understand the point of a PSMF diet unless you are really grossly overfat, or just hugely impatient (which I sometimes am). I've done it shortly and will never again. My results have been very similar this time around but I have lost almost no strength in the gym and its taking maybe 15% longer.

But to each there own. But if your current diet is working why change it?

I agree. The only reason i'm interested is to learn different ways to lose fat while keeping muscle. Knowledge is power.

-jordan

Patz
04-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I've done PSMF. I don't think anything you do is going to be catastrophic. Seriously, nothing you do with a structured diet like that can't be leveld out with a few days of solid maintenance eating.

If you do a week of PSMf, expect to dtop 5-6lbs of water in the first 2-3 days. After that, you might drop up to 3lbs of fat by the end of that week if you're really strict and hit the high rep workouts to burn some calories. You'll feel like complete ass and the cravings will be intense, to say the least.

When you're done, you'll eat again to restore glycogen and the water weight will come back. You might even end up higher on the scale than you started out, but give it a few days of dry, colon-empty weigh-ins and you should end up a bit lower than you started. More importantly, the mirror should be nice to you if you're lean enough to notice 3lbs. If you're not lean enough to notice 3lbs don't bother, as it'll just mentally **** with your head after all the hard work you put in for that week (and it is HARD WORK..it's MISERABLE).

Also, don't you do a manual labor type job? Like construction or something? LOL..I have a desk job, and that diet was hell. I can't imagine actually expending energy during the day.

Jordanbcool
04-07-2006, 09:25 PM
I've done PSMF. I don't think anything you do is going to be catastrophic. Seriously, nothing you do with a structured diet like that can't be leveld out with a few days of solid maintenance eating.

If you do a week of PSMf, expect to dtop 5-6lbs of water in the first 2-3 days. After that, you might drop up to 3lbs of fat by the end of that week if you're really strict and hit the high rep workouts to burn some calories. You'll feel like complete ass and the cravings will be intense, to say the least.

When you're done, you'll eat again to restore glycogen and the water weight will come back. You might even end up higher on the scale than you started out, but give it a few days of dry, colon-empty weigh-ins and you should end up a bit lower than you started. More importantly, the mirror should be nice to you if you're lean enough to notice 3lbs. If you're not lean enough to notice 3lbs don't bother, as it'll just mentally **** with your head after all the hard work you put in for that week (and it is HARD WORK..it's MISERABLE).

Also, don't you do a manual labor type job? Like construction or something? LOL..I have a desk job, and that diet was hell. I can't imagine actually expending energy during the day.

I do manual labor but not nearly as hard as construction. Im a cook and an auto mechanic. Lifting those big ass SUV tires is a pain to say the least. Yes I work on cars but often I do alot of bitch work.

meh. pays bills i guess..

-jordan

Behemoth
04-08-2006, 11:00 AM

Question answered! Yes I work construction, but it's like GPP. My bodys accustomed to it where at the end of the day I probably feel the same as you do after a day in the office.

Jordanbcool
04-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Question answered! Yes I work construction, but it's like GPP. My bodys accustomed to it where at the end of the day I probably feel the same as you do after a day in the office.

O lol i thought he was talking to me.

-jordan

Patz
04-08-2006, 06:39 PM

lol..glad I could help you out.

I hope, for your sake, your body is accustomed to running on 0 carbohydrates.

brickt.
04-08-2006, 07:10 PM
And for those trying to set up a future PSMF... read the book. Don't try and wing it. Muscle loss ain't worth it.

UrbanSmooth
04-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Hey, man, I hope you do well on your cut. All the best to you!

ArchAngel777
04-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Yep... Hoping you do well on your cut. I am considering PSMF too, however... The wife doesn't like that idea, because it means I most likely wouldn't be eating dinner with her. If I was single again, I'd be doing the nitrean version that Organichu did for PSMF, for the most part... Throw in some EFAs, Multi's, Nitrean for somewhere around 800 cals and go to town for a few weeks.

Anyway, good luck again on the cut. I still have a ways to go on mine... Been cutting for 5 months now :-/... Great progress, but when you are a fatty like I was, it takes a LONG time! LONG TIME, you hear me? Don't ever let yourself get above 20%, it is such a PITA to get back down.