PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Workout

LuckyCharm
01-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Hey everyone, well I just joined, I'm not really sure how this thing works....but I have a few quick questions.
First off to give you a little background....... I don't lift weights at the moment, I was lifting last year regularly, and I noticed a great improvment.. Over the summer I was only running, and haven't lifted much this year...... because i've been running everyday. Anyways, I want to start lifting again, and work my running into that. So I don't really know like what kind of routine I should follow.. maybe run 4 days and lift 3 days? I'm really trying to stay away from legs because I think they're too big as it is, I just want them to be toned, and muscular not bulky, that's why I figured running would be a good choice. I want focus more on arms, stomach, chest, shoulders, and back, arms and stomach mostly. Also when I run I do 1 mile at 5.5mph and then walk a 1 mile at about 3.5 mph, then i run 1 more mile at 5.5, and the last tenth of the mile increase to 7mph. I've noticed I don't sweat much when I do this, and am wondering if it is not intense enough.... shoudl I go for a longer distance, or go shorter distance at high speeds? I want whatever will give me the most fat burn. Also I have a bf% of 13.5% which seems awfullly high to me....I would like to have it around 7%, or is that too low? I'm not really sure what the ideal bf% is for a female.
Also, I want to firm my abs.... I have been doing ab exercises, and my upper abs, whatever you call those are pretty toned and defined... my lower abs are a problem area... I mean I don't have a ton of fat there, but enough to the point where it bothers me, and basically it feels like unworked muscle, but I continue doing these ab exercises and they dont seem to help. Also I have a hard time toning the obliques. I try to watch what I eat, but I'm not one for the strict diets, that require a set amount of food a day. If anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it, thanks :D

Paul Stagg
01-18-2002, 10:26 AM
Squat
SLDL
Chest press
OH press
Vertical pull
Horizontal pull

That's the base of a good routine. Build on it, split it as you like.

Run on off days as fits your goals.

Wanna see your abs? Eat less.

syntekz
01-18-2002, 10:32 AM
Just for your info. I think the average bodyfat for a female is around 18%. You don't have much to worry about. ;)

PowerManDL
01-18-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by LuckyCharm
I'm really trying to stay away from legs because I think they're too big as it is, I just want them to be toned, and muscular not bulky, that's why I figured running would be a good choice......I have been doing ab exercises, and my upper abs, whatever you call those are pretty toned and defined... my lower abs are a problem area... Also I have a hard time toning the obliques.

Please......someone find me a Smartasses Anonymous meeting.....before its too late......

LuckyCharm
01-18-2002, 10:59 AM
uhuh...... and what are you implying PowerMan?

PowerManDL
01-18-2002, 11:25 AM
Well, just a few things:

1) The word "tone" is evil. It was constructed by fitness gurus to describe something that doesn't exist. You either need bigger muscles or less fat. Training to tone isn't something that can be done.

2) There are no upper or lower abs. Its just one big wall. Again, that goes back to above-- its a matter of body fat percentage. As a female, it will be a lot harder for you to lose the fat over the lower portion of your abs.

3) Don't worry about getting "too bulky." Much like the word "toning," getting women getting too bulky is a myth; it won't happen unless you have a highly abnormal hormonal structure (either naturally or due to illicit drugs).

I didn't mean to come off as rude, but I hear those three myths probably more than anything else, and it makes me crazy every time.

I know its not your fault, but I just hate having to go back and pave over the Fitnus Industree's ignorance.

So feel free to ask any questions you may have, even if you do get some smartass comments in the process.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-18-2002, 11:25 AM
he's saying that they're alway h'after me lucky charms...

PowerManDL
01-18-2002, 11:28 AM
you'll never get me pot 'o gold!

LuckyCharm
01-18-2002, 11:44 AM
Well, sorry for being so ignorant then PowerMan, that is the reason I came here in the first place.. I don't know.... so why not get advice from people who do?

PowerManDL
01-18-2002, 11:51 AM
No, like I said,

I'm sorry if I came off as rude.

I want you to ask questions and learn. That's why I'm here in the first place. Well, that and to be a smartass. But mostly to help people learn.