PDA

View Full Version : How is this for a beast of a protein shake?

Nickthebassist
04-07-2006, 04:55 PM
OK, this is what I make :
2 pints of semi-skimmed milk
200grams of dried milk (that's 60 grams of protein)
2 bananas(for energy whilst working out, and the carbs suggested in Built's routine)
5 tea spoons of banana milk shake powder.
What you think?

Davidelmo
04-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Total cals, protein etc?

FighterInSnatch
04-07-2006, 07:54 PM
I've heard that you can only digest around 90-100grams of protein per sitting.

Clifford Gillmore
04-08-2006, 02:00 AM
I've heard that you can only digest around 90-100grams of protein per sitting.

And you would have heard an incorrect statement.

Sidior
04-09-2006, 03:33 AM
look at cals a day not cals an hour....or cals a WEEK!!!

oubobcat20
04-09-2006, 11:37 PM
i too have heard that too much protein in one sitting can not be digested properly and is stored as fat, anyone else heard anything of this sort?

Optimum08
04-09-2006, 11:43 PM
i too have heard that too much protein in one sitting can not be digested properly and is stored as fat, anyone else heard anything of this sort?

nope.

Optimum08
04-09-2006, 11:45 PM
if thats a beast of a protein shake than i don't wanna know what i can concoct is. basically IMHO thats not that great of a shake. i would do somethin like chocolate whey+milk+oats+PB+EVOO(Extra virgin olive oil)+a banana (for flavor)...would probably top 1000 cals depending on how much you put in of each ingredient.

Nicoman
04-24-2006, 04:54 AM
Mama mia! I am going to have to go and get me some of that powder milk.....

Isaac Wilkins
04-24-2006, 08:14 AM

It will be digested just fine. The body can only use so much amino acids at once for its needs, and doesn't store a huge amount in the form of free amino acids.

The body CAN create fat from protein but it is a very calorically expensive process. Protein digestion = expensive. Then the amino acids must be deaminated and converted to glucose, this is also somewhat expensive. This glucose can THEN be converted to stored bodyfat through another process.

So, if you ate 200g of protein in one sitting it probably wouldn't be as efficient for the body as if you'd eaten 50g at four sittings throughout the day. That being said there's certainly no problem with getting large amounts of protein at a time as long as it fits your overall needs.

Also remember that protein takes quite a while to digest. If you bang down 100g of some slow digesting protein you'll be getting a steady stream of amino acids into your blood for hours, let alone the time it takes for everything else to happen. People seem to think that once you eat something the nutrients immediately place themselves. It takes hours and hours for some things to even hit the blood let alone be metabolized.

ectx
04-24-2006, 01:16 PM
It will be digested just fine. The body can only use so much amino acids at once for its needs, and doesn't store a huge amount in the form of free amino acids.

The body CAN create fat from protein but it is a very calorically expensive process. Protein digestion = expensive. Then the amino acids must be deaminated and converted to glucose, this is also somewhat expensive. This glucose can THEN be converted to stored bodyfat through another process.

So, if you ate 200g of protein in one sitting it probably wouldn't be as efficient for the body as if you'd eaten 50g at four sittings throughout the day. That being said there's certainly no problem with getting large amounts of protein at a time as long as it fits your overall needs.

Also remember that protein takes quite a while to digest. If you bang down 100g of some slow digesting protein you'll be getting a steady stream of amino acids into your blood for hours, let alone the time it takes for everything else to happen. People seem to think that once you eat something the nutrients immediately place themselves. It takes hours and hours for some things to even hit the blood let alone be metabolized.

Wow, jots. You actually paid attention in biochem! I particularly like they idea of steady slow digestion of protein although I prefer to break up protein intake into several well spaced intervals (As you mentioned).

WORLD
04-24-2006, 07:32 PM
OK, this is what I make :
2 pints of semi-skimmed milk
200grams of dried milk (that's 60 grams of protein)
2 bananas(for energy whilst working out, and the carbs suggested in Built's routine)
5 tea spoons of banana milk shake powder.
What you think?

ewww.. hey try my shake. Anyone can make it with these ingredients.
12 oz water, tbspoon Peanut Butter, teaspoon honey, scoop chocolate whey, 1 cup milk, 1 banana, cup of oats, pour in some olive oil, throw in some supplements...tastes amazing and you can chug it quick.
Put it all in a blender, and voila! a magic shake. I wish i had calculated the total calories and nutritional breakdown.. Its easy though.

Optimum08
04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
what "supplements" would you throw in?

Canadian Crippler
04-24-2006, 10:07 PM
...calorically...There's no way this is actually a word, lol.

EDIT: Nevermind.

ectx
04-25-2006, 10:16 AM
There's no way this is actually a word, lol.

EDIT: Nevermind.

LOL...glad you edited because you were about to get a major smack down!

Isaac Wilkins
04-25-2006, 01:09 PM
LOL...glad you edited because you were about to get a major smack down!

No ****. Read the name attached to the post before you come after it, son.

:evillaugh

Canadian Crippler
04-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Looks like I'm being bombarded by duo fat anger. ;)

WORLD
04-25-2006, 07:58 PM
what "supplements" would you throw in?

I also add creatine and Glutamine.

ectx
04-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Looks like I'm being bombarded by duo fat anger. ;)

Don't make us unleash a world of HAET on you, skinny! :p

Nickthebassist
04-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Yep, my mum told me this.

Funky_monkey
06-06-2006, 09:27 PM
the excess amino acids will be passed in the urine. this is mainly milk pritein and i'd hate to be next to this guy on a packed train.

have 1 pint of milk with 30g whey protein, 2 bananas and ur milkshake powder.
you stated the bananas are to give you energy when you work out. this shake is far from ideal for workout time. whey protein is what you need around this time.

Billy E.
07-31-2006, 03:56 PM
I am skinny so is it good for me to be drinking this shake with all those Proteins? I dont use Whey or anything of that nature, so i think it would be good.

ottomanart
08-06-2006, 12:33 PM
I am skinny so is it good for me to be drinking this shake with all those Proteins? I dont use Whey or anything of that nature, so i think it would be good.

Eating is always good an I wouldn't worry about anything like this actually hurting you... now if you went out and ate a beef hide corder... then you may have some diggestive problems. But not form a shake like this.

Hell, if you feel you are skinny maybe you should try adding a few smal meals to your diet each day! (and ofcouse you should lift more)!!!