PDA

View Full Version : Can someone clearly explain water weight to me?

Davidelmo
04-07-2006, 05:54 PM
This leaves me slightly puzzled every time someone uses this term.

I assume that water weight accounts for water that you have drunk and is in your GI tract plus intracellular/extracellular fluid and fluid in your bloodstream?

Why if someone starts a cut and their weight plummets 5lbs in the first day, everyone says "It's not muscle - it's just water weight." I'm probably missing the point here, but if you were eating the same food in less quantity and still keeping yourself hydrated, why would you lose this weight?

Patz
04-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I've always presumed that "water weight" is a general term for the food/water in your stomach/digestive system, the poo in your guts, and the water held by the carbohydrates in your system.

I'm sure there's a scientific meaning, but in all reality when someone goes on any kind of restricted diet they consume less. If you consume less, you end up with less on-hold in the body. Additionally, people generally watch the carbohydrates, so you lose a fair amount of water there. And, on top of that, when you're dieting you usually aren't eating a lot of foods high in sodium, which also will help you hold water.

ALLLLLSO...people sweat out what's left from physical activity, resulting in additional dryness.

You can reverse the "water weight" and see just how well you can hold that water by taking in a boatload of carbs, and plenty of liquids. LOL..I remember when I was doing PSMF I gained 10lbs in one day on a refeed. Others have done even better, but you always come back down from it and settle back to normal.

Built
04-07-2006, 09:11 PM
When people cut, one of the first macronutrients that gets dropped is carbohydrate. This CAN result in lower glycogen. Since glycogen is bound up with water, drop your glycogen and you'll drop a boatload of water - FAST (as dowd alluded) Then ... it slows right down and you start losing actual tissue weight.

Any of that sound right? Do I win a prize? ;)

Unreal
04-07-2006, 09:29 PM
You win a hug from me. Anyways, alot of things are diluted with water in your body. I would think if you dropped your sodium intake you would also lose water weight for the same reason.

Built
04-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, sodium would do it, too.

But you'd be foolish to drop sodium on a cut. Except for just before pix, or a contest, of course.

Davidelmo
04-08-2006, 05:51 AM
I see, I think I understand a little better now- thanks.

Holto
04-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Glycogen is one glucose molecule bound to 4/5 (??) water molecules.

cphafner
04-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Glycogen is one glucose molecule bound to 4/5 (??) water molecules.