PDA

View Full Version : GPP and Overtraining

KingJustin
04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
I'll keep this short.

If I train often (as in # of hours spent on fitness per week), then I start having trouble recovering and eventually I get sick.

GPP is designed to increase the amount of work you can do per week. Well, how do you add in GPP without it causing you to get sick?

Hopefully you guys catch what I'm saying. Let me know if I need to clarify.

MixmasterNash
04-09-2006, 07:54 PM
How many hours do you train per week?

It's probably not overtraining, but under-recovering. I would make sure that your nutrition is adequate and properly timed and look at increasing calories. And make sure you're getting enough sleep! Then, look at some active recovery and stretching work.

And THEN look at improving overall fitness.

And mods should move this to the GPP forum!

KingJustin
04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, I've been training for a few years now. I do perform active recovery and such, but when I really pack on the # of sessions it doesn't seem to matter.

Looking through my logs, on a few occassions I've done as much as 1 hr lifting sessions 5 days a week, cardio twice a week, and ~20 min GPP junk 3 d/w. I did this same plan on 2 different occassions, and after about 3 weeks I got sick both times.

Also, I tend to get sick eventually even if I just do 7 one hour sessions (this can include running or weight lifting), but this doesn't happen every time, especially as of late.

I'm trying to get ready for MMA, and because of this I know I'm going to need to train a little more than usual (between the classes each week, the SPP training, extra conditioning, grip/ab work and trying to keep up my strength/size gains there's a lot I've got to do each week). I was thinking I should maybe work hard for like 3 weeks, then take a week where I drop volume, intensity, etc and go back?

I guess it just seems like to improve work capacity -- so that you can train more and not get sick -- you have to add workouts each week, and if you add too many you might have gone over your work capacity and you might end up sick anyway.

And not sure why I didn't get this into the GPP section.

Sensei
04-10-2006, 05:53 AM
Well, I've been training for a few years now. I do perform active recovery and such, but when I really pack on the # of sessions it doesn't seem to matter.

Looking through my logs, on a few occassions I've done as much as 1 hr lifting sessions 5 days a week, cardio twice a week, and ~20 min GPP junk 3 d/w. I did this same plan on 2 different occassions, and after about 3 weeks I got sick both times.

Also, I tend to get sick eventually even if I just do 7 one hour sessions (this can include running or weight lifting), but this doesn't happen every time, especially as of late.
I'm not sure I understand what you are considering to be GPP exactly if you are doing lifting, MMA, cardio, AND "GPP junk".

I'm trying to get ready for MMA, and because of this I know I'm going to need to train a little more than usual (between the classes each week, the SPP training, extra conditioning, grip/ab work and trying to keep up my strength/size gains there's a lot I've got to do each week). I was thinking I should maybe work hard for like 3 weeks, then take a week where I drop volume, intensity, etc and go back?
How many and how long will each session be? It depends on what you will do for each session, but it looks like a lot to try to accomplish in one week. Sometimes thinking about your microcycles in terms of two or three weeks (rather than cramming everything into one week) works out better.

I guess it just seems like to improve work capacity -- so that you can train more and not get sick -- you have to add workouts each week, and if you add too many you might have gone over your work capacity and you might end up sick anyway.
Again, thinking longer term should help. Also, consider the volume and intensity of the sessions, not just the number of sessions.

JustLost
04-10-2006, 06:15 AM
GPP is designed to increase the amount of work you can do per week. Well, how do you add in GPP without it causing you to get sick?

Gradually.

Recovery ability and work capacity are trainable parameters just like strength and endurance.

Again, thinking longer term should help. Also, consider the volume and intensity of the sessions, not just the number of sessions.

Anthony
04-10-2006, 06:53 AM

I think most people would burn out on this schedule. You have to add work gradually so your body can adapt. Just like you wouldn't go from benching 200 to 400 overnight, you can't go from 5 hours of training to 10 hours just because it looks good on paper. Especially if you plan to add MMA into the mix. If you are unfamiliar with grappling and striking, GO EASY! Not only will it drain you, but you may have to deal with minor injuries.

Bob
04-10-2006, 07:04 AM
I added GPP/Crossfit type WOs at the beginning of the year...
At first I went too fast, increasing my workload by 50%... (from 11 hrs week.. to 16 hrs..)
And found that my recovery time went way up... I was broken down for 2 days every week after the first couple weeks..

So I slowed down a little.. and did a more gradual increase.. and am now doing the 50% increase ok now.. although my rest schedule is a little more intense.. I take 3 days off out of 10.. instead of my old 2 days out of 10..

Although my strength levels have not been improving in the Big 3 yet.. I am find the rest of my body to be gaining strength at a good clip... dips and hanging leg raises especially.. and my rowing (especially for HIIT) has been improving rapidally..

Next step is to move more of it outdoors... wheelbarrows, sandbags and rocks.. Oh My!!