PDA

View Full Version : Life Style Questions For Building Mass

CatcherInTheRye
04-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Hello everyone I am new. I been thinking lately and am tired of being really skinny. So I decided to read up I read some websites about nutrition and have some questions. But first about me. I am 17 years old and am 5'11" and weigh 130 lbs, I am also adhd and do take medicine such as aderal. I have no trouble dropping weight and will sometimes fluctuate rapidly at as much of 5 pounds in a couple days withough me doing anything. Possibly not enough food, but also with this I have serious trouble keeping anything on after I have gained. But I also can gain weight extremeley easily.

My current life style is kind of healthy I think I am not sure. I never eat fast food or anything of the sort such as french frys, and I mean ever. I honestly haven't been to a place like McDonalds or Burger King in at least five months. I usually drink a load of milk as much as a gallon or more in a week. I also drink just as much water. And I eat other things such as school lunches which are usually some type of chicken or something. And at home I usually eat some kind of Shrimp I think they are fried.

Now onto what I don't understand. I think I should be trying to jump right to trying to build muscle mass as if I get any skinnier I think I will collapse into myself. Things I have read say to eat 6 meals instead of 3 big ones but if you are in school how are you to achive this? You can't exactly break out something in the middle of class without getting a food violation. Also is their anything wrong with my current life style that you could offer suggestions to off hand. Sorry for that long winded paragraph and thankyou for any replys you can give. Sorry if this is the wrong forum if so I would appreciate if a mod would move it because I think this might belong in the Nutrituon Forum.

Built
04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Hey

It's really, really simple: track your food on www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com)

If you don't gain, add 500 cals to each of your days, see what happens.

Welcome to the board. :)

ddegroff
04-11-2006, 10:04 AM
^built nailed the basics, i'm just gonna to it. Eating at school is really easy. You seem to be skinny and need to gain a lot of weight. Nuts are great, just keep em in your locker, whey in a shaker add water inbtw classes. Sandwichs keep great in your locker till ya need em.

Stupendous
04-11-2006, 01:21 PM
As said try and snack between classes. If that isn't possible just increase how much you eat in your normal 3 meals. Add a 4th meal immediately before bed.

TheGimp
04-11-2006, 03:09 PM
There is no advantage to eating 6 meals a day over 3. What counts is total calorie and macronutrient intake.

BaggedE30
04-11-2006, 03:29 PM
There is no advantage to eating 6 meals a day over 3. What counts is total calorie and macronutrient intake.

cant the body only absord about 20g of protein per hour? so eating 100g of protein in one meal is sortof wasted and will just come out the other end surely?

lifter4life
04-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Make a large shake and split it between classes. That's what I did when I was in school. The worst thing I used to do was have my lifting class the first period in the morning and I would not eat all day until I got home. I changed that by bringing one of those insulated cooler things and an ice pack with a shake (cottage cheese, milk, whey, banana, oats, olive oil blended up) so I could easily take in 400+ calories on the spot. Hope this helps. PEACE OUTSIDDEZ

lifter4life
04-11-2006, 04:04 PM

Yeah, all it does is speed up your metabolism which doesn't matter anyways, and when you eat all those carbohydrates you need (300g+ so 100g for 3 meals) they will be stored as fat. :bash:

Bob
04-11-2006, 04:07 PM
I didn't see any mention of a lifting program...
with the added calories and protein mentioned above...
u gotta lift hard & heavy to put on some mass...

R u squatting and Deadlifting?
R u getting stronger?

Bob
04-11-2006, 04:12 PM
PS.. when I had to gain 10 lbs in HS to move up a weight class in wrestling... because we had too many 155 lbers.. and no 165lbers...

I had to drink a 800 calorie protein drink every night before bed.. and added a 2nd lunch every day... but 30 days later.. I sat at 163... a nice 8 lb gain in a month...

Of coarse it gave me bad habits for when I wasn't working out so much the following year at college... LOL.. and gained the freshman 20lbs by Thanksgiving vacation.. OUCH..

ddegroff
04-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah, all it does is speed up your metabolism which doesn't matter anyways, and when you eat all those carbohydrates you need (300g+ so 100g for 3 meals) they will be stored as fat. :bash:

and why will it go to fat, if he needs 300g of CHO?

TheGimp
04-11-2006, 11:05 PM
cant the body only absord about 20g of protein per hour? so eating 100g of protein in one meal is sortof wasted and will just come out the other end surely?

no no NO! Your body is very efficient and will absorb everything you give it. Not all of the protein will go towards muscle building, true, but the amount that is will be impossible to determine as it will depend upon a number of factors particular to the individual's metabolism.

TheGimp
04-11-2006, 11:06 PM

I sincerely hope you are being ironic.

TheGimp
04-11-2006, 11:25 PM
The following study demonstrates there is no difference between eating ONE meal a day and five. Guess what? Big meals boost your metabolism more than small ones, so eating larger meals less frequently has the same affect as eating smaller meals more frequently.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3592618&dopt=Abstract

Wolfram G, Kirchgessner M, Muller HL, Hollomey S.

To a group of 8 healthy persons a slightly hypocaloric diet with protein (13% of energy), carbohydrates (46% of energy) and fat (41% of energy) was given as one meal or as five meals in a change-over trial. Each person was 2 weeks on each regimen. Under the conditions of slight undernutrition and neutral temperature the balances of nitrogen, carbon and energy were assessed in 7-day collection periods, and according to 48-hour measurements of gaseous exchange (carbon-nitrogen balance method) by the procedures of indirect calorimetry. Changes of body weight were statistically not significant. At isocaloric supply of metabolizable energy with exactly the same foods in different meal frequencies no differences were found in the retention of carbon and energy. Urinary nitrogen excretion was slightly greater with a single daily meal, indicating influences on protein metabolism. The protein-derived energy was compensated by a decrease in the fat oxidation. The heat production calculated by indirect calorimetry was not significantly different with either meal frequency. Water, sodium and potassium balances were not different. The plasma concentrations of cholesterol and uric acid were not influenced by meal frequency, glucose and triglycerides showed typical behaviour depending on the time interval to the last meal. The results demonstrate that the meal frequency did not influence the energy balance.

Clifford Gillmore
04-12-2006, 04:48 AM

I have to intergect English, I couldn't possbly get in over 6000 calories in three sittings. Well, "I" could, its not pleasent.

TheGimp
04-12-2006, 04:57 AM
Ok I'll concede there may be a comfort advantage :)

There is certainly no metabolic advantage however.

Holto
04-12-2006, 06:10 PM
The flip side when cutting. For me anyway. I find I can stay very full on 4 meals. If I go 5 each meals feels like I'm short.

After reading Bradley's post's (ie: studies like the one above) my next cut was my first really effective cut.

Chubrock
04-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I usually drink a load of milk as much as a gallon or more in a week. I also drink just as much water.

If you're having trouble keeping weight on, try consuming A LOT more milk than that. It's fairly cheap, and it def. helped me get in the calories. To be honest, that isn't very much milk at all (or water for that matter). At one point, I was consuming almost a gallon of milk a day, and I know others on the forums have consumed just as much if not more.

skinnywilly
04-13-2006, 01:29 AM
Check out the shake thread in the recipe section, there are a lot of high calorie shake recipes that you could make before school and drink while you are there, also like it has been mentioned just snack a lot if possible. I had the same problem you do, my classes were at different times during the day making it hard to get the meals and foods I needed, so I just started packing one of those portable coolers. :)

Davidelmo
04-13-2006, 06:00 AM
It's easy.. just eat ALLL day long.

A gallon of milk per week. Try drinking that per day ;)
Snack on peanuts, almonds, milk etc through the day.
Make high calorie shakes.
Take shots of olive oil
etc etc etc

gator
04-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Ok I'll concede there may be a comfort advantage :)

There is certainly no metabolic advantage however.

I would dissagree, the metabloic advantage is probably small "The heat production calculated by indirect calorimetry was not significantly different with either meal frequency." notice it didn't say they are the same. Also the study was only done on 8 people, hardly a credible sample size. However what the real benefits of eating more meals a day is in terms of nutrient partitioning. It would be more usefull if you had a study on bodybuilders who only eat 3 meals compared to other bodybuilders who eat 6-7 meals a day. I would also asumme that if you ate 3 meals a day, you would be taking in a lot of carbs per meal which I would think would raise the insulin levels pretty high for a given time period.