PDA

View Full Version : Opticen and lactose intolerance

SilverYello
04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
I recently bought some opticen and have been using it. First off I love the taste. It goes down great!

The first few days I used it I had no problems at all. Then I started using it to substitute breakfast. An hour or so after consuming I get terrible cramps.

I have been lightly lactose intolerant in the past. I am mixing the opticen with water.

I noticed one of the ingredients is "total milk protein isolates".

Has opticen been known to affect people that are lactose intolerant? If so only those highly lactose intolerant, or those slightly?

I tried consuming just whey this morning and got a similar effect. So Im starting to believe it may just be bad for me to consume straight liquid for breakfast.

What is lactose intolerance?

Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest significant amounts of lactose, the major sugar found in milk. Lactose intolerance is caused by a shortage of the enzyme lactase, which is produced by the cells that line the small intestine. Lactase breaks down milk sugar into two simpler forms of sugar called glucose and galactose, which are then absorbed into the bloodstream. Not all people deficient in lactase have the symptoms commonly associated with lactose intolerance, but those who do are said to have lactose intolerance.

People sometimes confuse lactose intolerance with cow’s milk intolerance because the symptoms are often the same. However, lactose intolerance and cow’s milk intolerance are not related. Being intolerant to cow’s milk is an allergic reaction triggered by the immune system. Lactose intolerance is a problem caused by the digestive system.
NDDIC (http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/lactoseintolerance/)

Bohizzle
04-12-2006, 01:07 PM
lactose intolerance should have nothing to do with this. lactose is the sugar in milk. these are the proteins in milk. however, ur link points to something that may be interesting.

Andrew

SilverYello
04-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Exactly what I thought after doing the research. Nevertheless I get bloating and cramps. Hm. Maybe I just have a weird digestive system. Possibly I should call my dad? (hes a gastroenterologist, but doesnt believe in any supplements so I doubt hed give me his time to explain or diagnos it)

Bohizzle
04-12-2006, 02:54 PM
he'd prolly be the one that'd be able to tell u waht's up, but as u said, prolly won't explain anything.. i'm sure somebody on here will come up with an explanation.

chris mason
04-15-2006, 06:31 AM
There is a small amount of lactose in our product. Nearly any milk-based protein will contain trace amounts of lactose.

If it bothers you at breakfast I suggest you only use it later in the day. As a note, most lactose intolerant individuals find our product to be very good with respect to not causing much in the way of gas or bloating.

Chris

SilverYello
04-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks Chris. I think most of my issues early were caused by a sickness. I was getting stomach trouble and felt fine, but then a few days later full blown out cold/flu.

Can't wait to try Nitrean!

chris mason
04-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks Chris. I think most of my issues early were caused by a sickness. I was getting stomach trouble and felt fine, but then a few days later full blown out cold/flu.

Can't wait to try Nitrean!

Ahhh, cool. I was thinking you must be SUPER lactose intolerant if you were experiencing problems with the product.

pushpull88
04-16-2006, 10:34 AM
whatsup, maybe i can give some knowledge. i thought that i was lactose intol. for the longest time. i went out and bought a tub as isopure, nature's best, which is totally fine for people with lactose intolerance, like my brother who has it really bad. the problems that i were experiencing continued. what i found out is that if i only had a liquid meal / snack / whatever you want to call it, my stomach would kill me. i through in a piece of bread, i would usually put some natty peanut butter on it, and the problems went away. as long as i ate something solid with a protein drink, i was fine.