PDA

View Full Version : Few questions for all your healthy bakers out there...

ArchAngel777
04-12-2006, 01:39 PM
I have been making cookies, healthy ones at that (if that is possible). But I had some general questions.

Do any of you use whole wheat flour instead of white flour? If so, what are the limitations? Is there any substitute that is better than flour? For instance, Oatmeal seems to give much more bang for the buck, since 1 cup of oatmeal is only 300 calories, while 1 cup of Whole Wheat Flour is 455 or so... Of course, that is mostly due to being refined I would imagine. However, you still have to use some flour even when using oatmeal for your main ingredient.

I am basically looking for very low calorie recipe cookies. I use splenda for my sweetener and that helps some and I also use less butter than most calls for, but I still end up with a pretty calorie dense cookie. Not good, since I like to eat more than one.

Also, every recipe I find is extremely innacurate on the servings. The one I made a few days ago said "Makes 60 cookies"... Well, I made some really small ones and I was out of batter by my 26th cookie. What, do you people eat dime size cookies these days or what? That recipe gets a very big frown face from me. Don't lie on servings, that pisses me off.

Anyway, I have searched this forum and typicall I really only find high calorie dense foods in here... So, heres hoping that someone knows a few tricks they would like to share.

Built
04-12-2006, 02:16 PM
You're going to have a hard time coming up with a cookie that's lower calorie - they're typically some sort of starch with some sort of fat and some sort of sugar - all fairly calorie-dense foods.

Have you tried my protein waffles (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76225)? Oats, egg whites, cottage cheese.

ArchAngel777
04-12-2006, 02:21 PM
You're going to have a hard time coming up with a cookie that's lower calorie - they're typically some sort of starch with some sort of fat and some sort of sugar - all fairly calorie-dense foods.

Have you tried my protein waffles (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76225)? Oats, egg whites, cottage cheese.

Nope, but I will be sure to try them. Once I seen that you made them ahead of time and toasted them... Those would be perfect with some reduced or low calorie syrup out there. Heck, or even honey or what not.

Thanks.

Built
04-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Toasted, then sprinkled with cinnamon and a little splenda is nice.

Or with thawed frozen blueberries.

Anthony
04-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Also, every recipe I find is extremely innacurate on the servings. The one I made a few days ago said "Makes 60 cookies"... Well, I made some really small ones and I was out of batter by my 26th cookie. What, do you people eat dime size cookies these days or what?

Sorry man, I made a typo. It was supposed to read, "Makes 6 cookies" ...

Built
04-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Bah. What's a power of 10 among friends.

<chuckles at dime-sized cookies>

McIrish
04-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Sorry man, I made a typo. It was supposed to read, "Makes 6 cookies" ...

Dang, OP, I'm really impressed that you turned those 6 cookies into 26... nicely done :)

dissipate
04-21-2006, 06:07 AM
you might be able to find some good healthy receipes on http://allrecipes.com/

they have a substitution table somewhere in there too