PDA

View Full Version : Recently Started Loosing my Grip Strength

Bob
04-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey all.. I looking for some advice.. or maybe some experience with the following...

Since around the first of the year, I have been having problems with my grip strength... as in loosing what limited strength I had before. I am now having problem with my grip and doing pullups, Shrups and especially Deadlifts.

Whereas 9 months ago, I was able to DL 335 x 10... my grip is failing at pulling more then 3 reps at 315... My pullups (neutral grip) have decreased to 5 reps from 7.

I know it is not my stength in those lifts... b/c I tried a friend's wrist-hooks and was able to pull the weights/pullups.

I have made a few changes to my program over the last 5-6 months including:
-- getting some CoC grippers for XMas.. I was close when I got them and can now close them for 2 reps..
-- added more GPP/Crossfit type exercises... Kettlebell Swings (using DBs), some OLY lifts, and replacing 2 lifting sessions per week with GPP routines. So now it's 3-4 days of lifting, 2 days of GPP..
-- added more rowing and shrugs.. rowing includes both weights and the rowing machine

Now I know that there seems to be a lot more grip type of work... but reading up on all the WBB Threads and hand grip info on the web.. everything seems to say you gotta lift heavy and lots for a great grip.. I seem to be going the other way.

I have even rested for up to 3 days - no lifting or grip exercises - but with no success. Help...
--Is it because of age? almost 41?
--because of overload?
--not enough supplements? I am on ETS - 2 pills a day, multi-vitamin, 1000 mg fish oils, and Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for my joints
--not enough rest?
--b/c I'm a wimp?
--should I just start using hooks & wraps & shutup? I have never really liked to use gear before... old farm boy mentality...
--should I get some different equipment? like one of those fat bars?

Thanks for any help/advice in advance...

PS... sorry for the lengthy message.. just thought I would be as thorough as possible..

Bohizzle
04-12-2006, 03:26 PM
ok i think it boils down to 2 things here... bare in mind i have nothing to back this up.... sounds like ur overtraining ur hands/grip: just like anything else (especially when ur not a teenager anymore) u should ease into it and not start by going crazy and adding gpp work, kettlebell work, oly lifts, and CoC work.i'd take a full week off, and when u get back to it, try and ease back into it (gripwise).

2nd factor i think might be affecting u - ur mind. i think because ur grip strength has been faltering as of late, ur facing ur challenges already defeated and lacking the motivation. pretend u never lost any strength and get back to it!

hope that helps.

Andrew

Bob
04-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks Bo.. u may be right on that 2nd point... it could be mental...

The rest is confusing though.. I've tried 3 days.. most other BPs recover by then...

Patz
04-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Are you deadlifting AFTER all the rows and such that you've recently added?

I always deadlift first, for teh grip, and to have all my strength.

Sensei
04-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Has your training changed in those nine months? Have you gained weight? Are you using a different bar? Surely there is a logical explanation for your loss of grip strength.

Goodwinm
04-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Maybe it would be a good idea to start a new routine??
might sound dramatic. But stop workin out for a week. Dont even lift a dumbell. This will give your body a rest and time to recover properly. (chance to rebuild, repair and fix any muscle twinges, pulls, or rips.After the week is over. start your revised routine. I think you may be overtaining your body, which is why you are not seeing gains and seeing losses. U gotta let muscles rest, and not always pound them on working days. Some days for muscle rapage (spelling?), few days for moderate muscle training and a few days in between for resting. But do what suits your body.

I think the above info is a reasonably good system to go by. Saw it on bodyubuilding.com the other week, and does make logical sense. (well to me anyway)

Bob
04-12-2006, 06:35 PM
mrelwooddowd - yep, I've moved DLs to the start of a WO.. only 1 rep difference..

Sensei - only those 3 changes I mention above.. more grip work, GPP/Crossfit addition, additional rowing and Shrugs... I did gain some weight back around Thanksgiving when I went on my 1st try of Creatine.. but back down to 227 now... no change in bars.. and yes, usually I am pretty good with logic.. but this time, I'm stumped... leading me to believe that combined with my age, the current grip strength strategies out there are not for me.

goodwinner - taking a full week off might kill me right now.. I'm not scheduled for another week off until the holidays... My GPP fitness has gone up a lot.. and most of my other lifts are improving.. just pulling is lagging b/c of grip. I'm actually a big believer in changing programs.. I do it quite often... to shock the system, I never do the same weights, exercises, reps, etc.. more then 2 WOs in a row.. and I throw in hi-reps once in a great while.. along with the new GPP type reps.

Thanks all for your replies.. keep the ideas coming please..

Bohizzle
04-12-2006, 06:44 PM
i think that might just be it, a mix of u doubting urself now, and mainly that because of ur age and the sudden addition of those 3 aspects, ur not able to recover as well as u once were. hth.

Andrew

Sensei
04-13-2006, 06:25 AM
mrelwooddowd - yep, I've moved DLs to the start of a WO.. only 1 rep difference..

Sensei - only those 3 changes I mention above.. more grip work, GPP/Crossfit addition, additional rowing and Shrugs... I did gain some weight back around Thanksgiving when I went on my 1st try of Creatine.. but back down to 227 now... no change in bars.. and yes, usually I am pretty good with logic.. but this time, I'm stumped... leading me to believe that combined with my age, the current grip strength strategies out there are not for me.

goodwinner - taking a full week off might kill me right now.. I'm not scheduled for another week off until the holidays... My GPP fitness has gone up a lot.. and most of my other lifts are improving.. just pulling is lagging b/c of grip. I'm actually a big believer in changing programs.. I do it quite often... to shock the system, I never do the same weights, exercises, reps, etc.. more then 2 WOs in a row.. and I throw in hi-reps once in a great while.. along with the new GPP type reps.Why do you say that a full week off would kill you? I agree that if your training has not changed, you probably just need a break. It looks like with what you have laid out (lifting, GPP, grippers, etc), that you are working your grip almost daily. If more was what you needed, your grip would have improved, not gotten weaker.

Anthony
04-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Now I know that there seems to be a lot more grip type of work... but reading up on all the WBB Threads and hand grip info on the web.. everything seems to say you gotta lift heavy and lots for a great grip..

This statement is key. A couple of points:

1) As with anything, ramp up slowly. Going from no grip work to 7 days of grip work in one week is too fast. Increase your workload slowly so your body has time to adapt.

2) There is a point of diminishing returns. Push too far past that point and you can actually go backwards. I think this is your current problem.

Bob
04-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks Andrew for your support...

Sensei, Anthony,
Thanks guys.. I respect your opinions a lot as consistent & accurate contributors on WBB...

Sensei to your point.. the week off will kill me comment was somewhat sarcastic.. I had just been hitting a good groove (except grip).. and was hoping to keep pushing... I was liking my progress. But I understand what you are saying..

Anthony.. I didn't exactly go from no to 7 days of grip.. b/c I've always done heavy lifting - pulling, rowing, etc... but I get your point too. I just have to figure out a way to NOT do grip work... and keep up with all the lifting and GPP/XFit work. Time to get even more organized..

Thanks guys!!!!

BG5150
04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Have you tried changing your grips? Underhanded, overhanded, mixed?

Bob
04-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Yep BG... I generally do all DLs mixed.. changing grips between sets..
On Pullups and rows.. I do sets of each.. generally 2-3 sets of each..
No difference.. but thanks for the suggestion..

Goodwinm
04-14-2006, 11:52 PM
if you are getting good gains thats super stuff. And with a little time off, your body will have chance to really rebuild and grow stronger.

Has anybody tried one week rest periods? and if so, is it beneficial. Say you do one week of super hardcore training and then rest for a whole week. and then repeat. I spose if your body got used to it gradually it would work. But i, like many people on here, love to work out so resting for a week might not be a good thing.

Sory for the hijack.

Sybersnott
04-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Whereas 9 months ago, I was able to DL 335 x 10... my grip is failing at pulling more then 3 reps at 315... My pullups (neutral grip) have decreased to 5 reps from 7.

How many times per week do you do deadlifts?

I have made a few changes to my program over the last 5-6 months including:
-- getting some CoC grippers for XMas.. I was close when I got them and can now close them for 2 reps..

WHAT gripper are you closing? 2 reps?... that sounds like a warmup to me.

Now I know that there seems to be a lot more grip type of work... but reading up on all the WBB Threads and hand grip info on the web.. everything seems to say you gotta lift heavy and lots for a great grip.. I seem to be going the other way.

You're not going to like what I tell you - but, for awesome grip strength, you really have to put some real pressure on your hands. The grippers do that, but you haffta work hard for the bigger grippers like the IM #2 and #3.

--Is it because of age? almost 41?

No, age isn't it. I'm 41. Don't use age as an excuse. I'm stronger now than when I was 20.

--because of overload?

Possibly. Or overtraining.

--not enough supplements? I am on ETS - 2 pills a day, multi-vitamin, 1000 mg fish oils, and Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for my joints

Have you thought about changing your supps? Vitamin C, MSM for your joints (about 3,000 mg. or more per day), stay with the fish oil for fats, what about your diet? Are you eating enough everyday?

--not enough rest?

This is a bigger factor than most people think it is. How much sleep do you get per night?

--should I just start using hooks & wraps & shutup? I have never really liked to use gear before... old farm boy mentality...

No, HELL NO. Wraps and hooks are for people who have wimpy handshakes and want to keep it that way. Get rid of the gear - DON'T use straps... build your grip like your supposed to! If you can't grip the weight, you have no business lifting that weight!! Don't think about argueing with me on this point because I'm right. I'm of the opinion that people are using too much damn gear and not putting enough sweat and effort into it.

--should I get some different equipment? like one of those fat bars?

Why not? Thickbars (bars that are 2" or more) are great for grip strength! Have you thought about getting a grip machine? VERY useful for building awesome grip strength if used correctly and with enough weight.

Thanks for any help/advice in advance...

No problem. PM me if you have any other questions or just ask them here and I'll get back to ya!! :) :thumbup:

Bob
04-27-2006, 02:45 PM
SyberSnot thanks for your reply... here are some answers..
>>DLs - usually 3 times in a 10 day period..
>>CoC's #1 x 2 fully closed... yep, like I said, I started with a weak grip.. but at least it's better then only the #5 trainer on XMas day..
>>I want that awesome grip strength.. and was trying to put real pressure on my hands... everywhere says you have to just work, work, work them... more then "other" bodyparts..
>>Diet is OK.. I eat between 2300-3000/day - lots of Protein/Fats.. my weight flucuates between 227-232.. but my BF keeps going down...
>>Supps.. My ETS dose has about 250 mg.. I can up the MSM..
>>In the last year I've upped my rest from 4-6 hrs nightly to 6-7 hrs.. I've seen the benefits.. but for some reason my body won't stay asleep for 8 hrs no matter what time I go to bed or how much I exert myself..
>>I agree on the equipment.. just needed the validation... I only used it to see if I actually still had the pulling strength...
>>My Gym doesn't have thick bars.. I've been looking for some kind of accessory that adds thickness to a bar online.. but I have only been able to see using a towel...
>>I have used a level grip machine at the gym.. (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristFlexors/LVGrip.html).. but again, I wonder if i've been doing too much, when I add it to the CoCs, DLs, Pulling, Kettlebells, Shrugs, etc...

I've taken more rest over the last 2 weeks.. almost double what i have been...
3 days off... 2 days on.. 1 off.. 2 on.. 1 off.. 1 on.. 3 off days... to see if the rest helps...
And today was a pulling day.. my grip felt better, but I wouldn't say it was "back" to where it was... I still have to let go before my back is tired.