PDA

View Full Version : Project: TORSO EXPLOSION

MJS
04-13-2006, 11:44 AM
THE INTRO

Hey folks, here’s the deal. For those of you who don’t know me, I am a 21 year old college student just wrapping up a semester of boozing in Europe. I came here expecting a “cultural experience” but in the end it was pretty much just a sh*t show.

Anyways, a bit of a background: I have never been big or small but rather just average. I played baseball very seriously for the first 15 years of my life, and just before college I tore tendons in my elbow. Needless to say, pitching career over. After 2 years of recovery I was looking for a new hobby. I turned to lifting.

Starting out I had no idea what I was doing. I did no research and ate like sh*t. F*cking eh what a waste of time. I did get bigger, but not the kind of bigger I wanted to be. My arms exploded, but my chest didn’t because I lifted it incorrectly and my genes just don’t want it to grow.

This picture is from 2 months ago. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e310/ironman2284/323d3ed5.jpg

You can see that my arms are out of proportion with my chest. I am not quite as lean as the picture portrays because I was flexing and sucking in my abs.

THE ROUTINE

The routine that I am going to follow is going to be a bit different than what most of the people on this board are currently involved in. Rather than dedicating myself to a 5x5 or a 3x12 setup I am going to opt for a 4x8-12 range to increase endurance, strength, but most importantly: mass.

I am not going to be working triceps directly as I am not looking to get them any larger for the time being and I think that the indirect work that they will get will be suffice for maintenance. It is my chest and back that are the targets of the routine. I am stealing bits and pieces from different routines that I have seen around the boards and creating my own routine: Torso Explosion.

Day 1 – Thickness of Back and Abs. Direct: Back, Abs Indirect: Biceps, Shoulders

• Rack Pulls 4x8
• Back Extensions 4x10
• DB Rows 4x10
• Hammer Rows 4x8

• Legs in air crunch 3x10
• Crunch (holding 2 seconds for squeeze) 3x12
• Decline Bench Weighted Situp 3x10
• Machine Crunch 3xs8
• Oblique on Swiss Ball 3x8 ea
• Table 1x1min
• Oblique Table 1x30sec ea

Day 2 – Direct: Chest Indirect: Triceps, Shoulders

• Flat BB Bench 4x8 (last set is negatives)
• Flat Bench Cable Flyes 4x12
• Incline DB Press 4x10
This will be alternated weekly with:
• Flat DB Bench 4x8
• Flat Bench DB Flyes 4x12
• Dips 4x10

Day 3 – Legs and Shoulders. Direct: Legs, Shoulders Indirect: Traps

• Full Squat 4x8
• Leg Press 4x10
• Calve Raises 4x12
• Leg Curls 4x10

• Arnies 4x8
• Military Press 4x10
• Rear DB Lateral Raises 4x10
• Front DB Lateral Raises 4x10

Day 4 – Width of Back and Biceps. Direct: Back and Biceps Indirect: Triceps

• Chins 4x8
• Rope Pullback 4x10*
• Shrugs 4x10
• Lat Pushdowns 4x12**

• Incline DB Curls 4x10
• Incline Hammer DB Curls 4x10
Note: Alternate this Bicep workout weekly with:
• Preacher EZ Bar Curls 4x10
• Preacher EZ Bar Hammer Curls 4x10

The Split is
Monday: Day 1
Tuesday: Day 2
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Day 3
Friday: Day 4
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

Notes:
* Rope pullbacks are my own exercise that I find to work very well. You go to the cables. If its an adjustable put it all the way to the floor, if not use the bottom cable. Take a rope (like the one used for triceps) and attach it. Pick up the rope and stand facing the cable straight up and down. Holding the rope with both arms pull back until your hands are on either side of your waist and squeeze. You feel it big time in your traps and delts.
** For a lateral pushdown I take a straight bar and attach it to the top ring of the cables. I stand facing the cable with my back straight. Keeping my arms straight throughout the entire motion, I grab the bar, hands on top, and push the bar down until it gets to my quads. Then I let it go back up.

THE DIET

BF = 12%
LBM = 180.0 lbs.
Maintenance calories: 3,150 per day;
4 lifting/HIIT days per week.
An extra 4,410 calories per week.for a gain of 1.3 pounds per week

Average daily macros:
329g of protein,
149g of fat, and
280g of carbohydrate,
3,780 calories in total.

Lifting/HIIT days:
333g of protein,
148g of fat, and
341g of carbohydrate,
4,023 calories in total.

LBM-based ratios:
1.9g/lb LBM protein,
0.8g/lb LBM fat, and
1.9g/lb LBM carbohydrate.

Rest/SS Cardio days:
324g of protein,
151g of fat, and
200g of carbohydrate,
3,456 calories in total.

LBM-based ratios:
1.8g/lb LBM protein,
0.8g/lb LBM fat, and
1.1g/lb LBM carbohydrate.

Example Diet –

Meal 1
Omelet (whole egg, egg whites, veggies, etc.)
Fruit or
Protein shake with. axseed oil
Fruit

Meal 2
Chicken breast, turkey breast or tuna
Raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc) or extra virgin olive oil
Fish oils
Vegetables

Meal 3
Round steak, extra lean ground sirloin or salmon
Fish oils
Vegetables

During Workout (sipped throughout) **
20-25g whey protein isolate
50g maltodextrin powder, diluted, in no less than one liter of water

Post Workout **
Whey protein, 5g creatine mono, 1 scoop of maltodextrin powder

Meal 4
Chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, or tuna
Sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, or brown rice

Meal 5
Chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, or tuna
Sweet potatoes, legumes (black beans, kidney beans, etc), or oatmeal.
Vegetables

Pre-Bed Snack
Cottage cheese
Flaxseed oil, raw nuts, or natural peanut butter, etc.

* Note that this meal is currently a low carb, protein/fat style meal. As one increases their calories over time, an option is to add in carbohydrates to this meal, as insulin sensitivity tends to be higher in the morning. If choosing to do so, stick to low GI carbohydrates like oatmeal with some fruit.

** Note: Remember from the feature, that these two servings would be the . rst two that you’d want to add calories to (in the form of carbohydrates) when it’s time to increase your intake.

THE SUPPS
• Creatine Monohydrate
• Dextrose
• Multi Vitamin
• Whey Protein

I hope that you decide to tag along and follow this journal because with the dedication that I have this goal is going to result in nothing but success, guaranteed. So buckle up and enjoy the ride, its time to make my torso explode.

ddegroff
04-13-2006, 03:37 PM
this routine is very interesting, I'm gonna tag along to see how it works out. Good Luck! :thumbup:

DumbellDude
04-14-2006, 12:04 AM
i like the split for the back - somehow not very "tradiational"? good luck MJS, let us know how things come along.

brickt.
04-14-2006, 12:26 AM
That split does pique my interest.

Edit: I would, however, swap the positions of Day 1 and 2, so that you get 72hrs between rack pulls and squats.

Built
04-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Good call, brickt.

MJS, because flyes have a strong excentric component, I don't often recommend doing them first in a routine - however, I've had excellent success tucking these types of movements between a heavy compound and a concentration exercise. I often do the same thing for quads: squats, 5x5, then sissy squats (excentric) then leg extensions (concentration). You might like this for chest: flat bench, 5x5; flyes, 3x8; incline dumbbell press 3x8. Another option is to superset the flyes with the dumbbell presses.

Best of luck with your split. I'll be very interested to see how your diet works out, too.

MJS
04-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Ddegroff - Glad to see you on my new journal bud, always appreciate your support
DumbellDude - Yeah definitely trying something new here as I think it will best suit my goals of getting a larger and more porportional (to the rest of my body) torso.
Brickt - Thanks for the input bro, routine has been updated. :thumbup:
Built - I understand what you are saying about placing flyes in between a compound and a concentration. Sounds good, I will definitely try it for now

I am wrapping up my last week here in London. Tons of finals going on and such. I will be working out but I am not going to start posting in this journal until May 1st. I leave for the US on the 22nd, but fly to Jamaica on the 23rd. Then I go back to Pittsburgh (where I go to school) and am ready to start working this routine May 1st.

Until then I am going to be double checking everything in my routine and trying to get a great grip on my diet. Thanks for the input so far.

ddegroff
04-14-2006, 08:16 AM
i was wondering if this was going to be after the trip in jamaica. I was thinking the same thing as built for the flys, but wasn't really sure with my reasoning on why to move them to second. Builts reasoning makes a lot of sense though. Good luck on finals!

MJS
04-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Well folks, there it is. Thanks to the help of Built, I think everything is in order and ready to go for May 1. Some minor tweaking may occur but thats about it.

DumbellDude
04-14-2006, 08:16 PM
have a safe trip and have fun in jamaica :) . we'll see you on the 1st

MJS
04-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Couple of quick updates to the journal.

First, yesterday I set a new PR with a 285 lb bench press. I was pumped.

Second, I am also incorporating stretching into my routine now. Turning my muscles into bags that blood and nutrients can flow in and out of easily giving me great pumps. I suggest you think about adding it to your routine. Here are some threads you can read about it if you are bored.

http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=2&a=3
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=301stretch2
http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Text&i=2&a=3

Lastly, on Easter, I ate a personal record amount of food. I had to guess a lot on the macros but fitday has me at 13,400 calories. I couldn't move. The next day I hit my PR on the bench. Go figure.

HILL
04-18-2006, 04:31 AM
LOL 13400 cals i imagine would give you more than enough energy to hit a pr congrats. Also i have been stretching as part of a routine before bed for a while now and must say i feel better for it.

ddegroff
04-18-2006, 09:53 AM
stretching is good, but make sure you do it postworkout, never before. And if at all possible do it when your muscles are warm.

nice work on bench man!

D Breyer
04-21-2006, 04:46 PM
WOW 13,000 calories!??! what in the world did you eat? (or what in the world didn't you eat?) haha props on the PR keep it up

DumbellDude
04-21-2006, 08:05 PM
i like the PR ! This coming Sunday is out Easter - don't think I'll beat your 13,400 calories inteak, but I'll try :D

MJS
04-28-2006, 06:42 PM
May 1st is approaching fast. JAMAICA was amazing - it was an all-inclusive and needless to say I ate horribly, didn't lift and overall my body took a hit. I am anxious to get this ball rolling.

MJS
05-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Getting a late start to this routine for various reasons. Starting tomorrow morning - wish me luck. Actually, f luck, I don't need it .. I'm going nuts.

ddegroff
05-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Haha, I was wondering when you were gonna start. Kick ass tomorrow!

MJS
05-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Okay okay, so after a hastle-filled move in back to school I am finally ready to go into the program tomorrow.. the 6th. Will update tomorrow. Going to eat my chinese food now - why is the worst food for you always the best tasting....

Built
05-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Because God has a twisted sense of humour. ;)

ddegroff
05-05-2006, 05:24 PM
...and you've told yourself its bad so it makes you want it more.

MJS
05-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Finally got this started today:

• Rack Pulls 8,8,7,5 315
• Back Extensions 4x10 220 Machine
• DB Rows 4x10 80s
• Hammer Rows 4x8 200

• Legs in air crunch 3x10
• Crunch (holding 2 seconds for squeeze) 3x12
• Decline Bench Weighted Situp 3x10
• Machine Crunch 3xs8
• Oblique on Swiss Ball 3x8 ea
• Table 1x1min
• Oblique Table 1x30sec ea

Finally back from London and in Pittsburgh. Taking my girlfriend to Outback Steakhouse tonight - our favorite place. Ohh 20 oz porter and Bloomin Onion. I can't wait.

MJS
05-07-2006, 10:53 AM
p.s. Built, the stretching is working very well into my routine - I have already noticed a difference. My pumps after workouts are more intense and longer lasting now as well, which of course, I love. Thanks for the great links. :thumbup:

ddegroff
05-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Nice workout man! glad to be back in the states?

MJS
05-08-2006, 01:21 PM
It feels great bud, love good old fashion american culture.

MJS
05-08-2006, 02:33 PM
• Flat BB Bench 8,8,7,6 235
• Flat Bench Cable Flyes 4x12 50 ea side
• Incline DB Press 4x10 80s

Time to eattt

DumbellDude
05-08-2006, 10:26 PM
:hello: weolcome back man! very good start on your lifts!

MJS
06-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Hm, well I have been MIA for a while ...

Some family problems, starting up an old job (restaurant - double shifts blow), moving back to college, etc etc have kept me out for a bit.

I have still been lifting, just not recording. Project TE is working as planned. My back is becoming big and swole and my chest is starting to grow - even though I am still convinced that it is smaller than the rest of my body because of my age (21).

Anyways, I am going to start recording again. Also, I am moving into a cut; but going to be using the same routine.

ddegroff
06-01-2006, 07:19 AM
WTF have you been? Glad to see your back! Double shifts do blow your right, hows the diet looking for the cut?