PDA

View Full Version : PSMF questions before i try it

PoutineEh
04-14-2006, 11:20 PM
I am going to continue bulking until the end of april and then i am going to do as much psmf as i can. when i finish psmf, i want to do a regular 500 calorie deficiet diet which i would like to last the whole summer . i have been searching around about psmf including lyle's board and i just want to make sure i have got everything right before i dive into this.

if i were to guess, im about 21% bf @ 197 lbs.

if anything below is wrong, please tell me.
1.5g protein / lb. lbm (with green veggies for fiber etc.)
9 fish oil caps
3 multi's a day (i take aln multi-plus)
refeed day consist of 7g carbs/lb. bodyweight

questions i have:
is the refeed day a carb only day, or is carbs + protein? just wondering because i read a few people having trouble controlling their refeed days and having it spill over to 2 days.

i take caffeine for energy during my workout currently. is ephedrine recommended also? will this help me in the energy department for my workouts?

since i havent tried the diet yet, will i "know" when to refeed by just how i feel, or should i just set days to refeed (read this is about once every two weeks)?

currently i am doing the 'baby got back (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255)' routine. lyle's board says to do 2 full body workouts. will baby got back be sufficient, or do i need to change to a new workout while doing this diet?

does the aln multivitamin contain enough vitamins/minerals for this type of diet? Mutli supp. facts (http://atlargenutrition.com/facts6.html). I am just worried about things like getting enough potassium and calcium etc. what other vitamins/minerals are recommended i supplement with while doing psmf?

when coming off the diet and to avoid gaining all the weight back, is it sufficient to just keep adding ~500 cals of fats/carbs week by week until i find what my maintainence caloric intake is and then cut ~500 cals from that?

brickt.
04-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Don't do PSMF until you've read the book. SERIOUSLY.

Do NOT try and WING IT. You WILL lose muscle.

There are two glaring points in your post, that I'm not going to point out, that will **** up your PSMF experience. Read the Book!

Y0yo
04-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Are we talking the UD2 book?

Gutz981
04-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Why not save the man some trouble and just tell him what is 'wrong' with his diet?

TheGimp
04-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Some trouble? Why not give Lyle the money he deserves?

Holto
04-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Why not save the man some trouble and just tell him what is 'wrong' with his diet?

Because he will still experience problems while 'winging' it.

SilverYello
04-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Can this book be bought at Barnes n Noble?

PoutineEh
04-15-2006, 12:46 PM
im going to buy his ud 2.0 book, but i thought since psmf sounds so simple i could do without buying it...
my guess as to one of the glaring things wrong is the workout routine... as long as i get the protein, the workout would be the only other thing that keeps the muscle. anyone recommend a psmf routine then?
and is it worth $40?

Jordanbcool
04-15-2006, 12:58 PM
im going to buy his ud 2.0 book, but i thought since psmf sounds so simple i could do without buying it...
my guess as to one of the glaring things wrong is the workout routine... as long as i get the protein, the workout would be the only other thing that keeps the muscle. anyone recommend a psmf routine then?
and is it worth $40?

The basic concept is simple. Its a fast. You eat 95% of your calories in protein to save muscle. The trick?

The workout/timing of the meals/what you can/cannot eat. Also just the basic structure is hard to get down. I doubt anyone can pull it off without the book.

-jordan

PoutineEh
04-15-2006, 01:44 PM
i see... alright ill consider possible buying that as well...

PoutineEh
04-15-2006, 02:01 PM
alright, i ordered it.

Jordanbcool
04-15-2006, 02:21 PM
alright, i ordered it.

Good man. Believe me and everyone else on this board. Once you read it, and are successful with it the results will be amazing. Who knows? You'll probably use that form of dieting exclusivly from now on! Good luck!!

-jordan

Patz
04-15-2006, 02:25 PM
You only need one multivitamin per day..ever. That's why they call them "one-a-day."

Shao-LiN
04-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Wasn't the most enjoyable diet in the world, especially the way I did it (practically just shakes), but it does work great. It is designed to be protein sparing, hence the name, but be aware that you do run a high risk of losing LBM. I lost a fair amount to be honest, but I was sort of being lazy about it. I did go from 20%+ bodyfat to around 14% with just 2 4 week cycles of it, though.

brickt.
04-16-2006, 12:39 AM
^^
Would you like to explain what you did that made you lose some LBM?

smalls
04-17-2006, 01:38 AM
^^
Would you like to explain what you did that made you lose some LBM?

I'm going to go ahead and guess it was the eating less than your body requires to function part of the diet. I'm sure you were asking him specifically from his experience but it's going to happen to everyone.

People seem to think this diet will result in zero muscle loss, maybe because of the name, maybe because of the inventor of the diet (neither of which are bad).
But your ****ing kidding yourselves. Unless you have absolutely insane genetics, or are a complete fatty von fat fat newbie then you will lose LBM when losing any significant amount of weight (especially if it's done rapidly). If you have very little muscle to begin with then maybe not, but muscle is extremely demanding yet unnecassary tissue.

CrazyK
04-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Don't do PSMF. You're 197 lbs. This diet was meant for the obese to morbidly obese. At 197 you can't be more than pleasantly plump. Try an isocaloric diet until you get down to 10-12%, than maybe try UD2 if the progress stops.

wrestlemaniac
04-17-2006, 03:53 AM
wait, UD2 is only for people high in bodyfat?

dw06wu
04-17-2006, 04:04 AM
wait, UD2 is only for people high in bodyfat?
No, UD2 is meant for relatively lean (~15 or less) athletes trying to get down under 10%. PSMF is meant for obese individuals, or at the low side someone who got extremely sloppy with a big bulk (eg me).

dw06wu
04-17-2006, 04:06 AM
By the way, PSMF ****ing sucks dude. You probably want to avoid it unless you really need to do it. At 197 lbs BW it is totally unnecessary; you will benefit much more from an actual diet. I'd recommend readnig Built's post in diet & nutrition. UD2 is not meant for someone over 15%.

wrestlemaniac
04-17-2006, 09:04 PM
wow, I was under the impression you could bulk with UD2 as well

dw06wu
04-18-2006, 08:11 AM
wow, I was under the impression you could bulk with UD2 as well
You can, but I wouldn't want to.