PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol decreases protein synthesis - but for how long?

MJS
04-15-2006, 01:50 PM
It's all over the internet from medical studies that alcohol decreases protein synthesis by an astounding 20%. Testosterone is also lowered while estrogen increases. My question though; one that google has yet to answer; is for how long is your protein synthesis mitigated?

Is it only until your hang over is gone? Is it before that? After that? Does food help? Does the quality of the beverage count for anything (cheap wine has more crap in it than a 100 dollar bottle), etc.

What have you found out there to show the total effects, start to finish, on protein synthesis by alcohol.

Another alarming fact - Alcohol is empty calories, no nutritional value but 7 cal/gram. A shot of 80 proof vodka (clear obviously) has nearly 100 calories. Might be a shock to some of the cutters.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Does the quality of the beverage count for anything (cheap wine has more crap in it than a 100 dollar bottle), etc.Alcohol is alcohol.

Moderation is fine. Don't get so worked up.

MJS
04-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm not getting to worked up, and I don't drink excessively by any means, I was just curious.

TheGimp
04-15-2006, 05:17 PM
Protein synthesis will be affected until all of the alcohol is metabolised. That's about an hour a unit.

MJS
04-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks Gimp.

Optimum08
04-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Alcohol is alcohol.

Moderation is fine. Don't get so worked up.

not necessarily. the alcohol effect is primarily the same, but something darker like a whiskey will make you feel worse in the morning than say a clear liquor like vodka. it has something to do with a certain chemical in it that im way too lazy to look up ATM.

gator
04-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Protein synthesis will be affected until all of the alcohol is metabolised. That's about an hour a unit.

I think this is wrong from what I've read (I could be wrong). While the liver takes 1 hour to process 1 unit of alcohol, each unit of alcohol will stay in your sytem for about 8 hours and during that time protein synthesis is affected.

MJS
04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Yikes, reality sits in..

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-17-2006, 12:20 PM
not necessarily. the alcohol effect is primarily the same, but something darker like a whiskey will make you feel worse in the morning than say a clear liquor like vodka. it has something to do with a certain chemical in it that im way too lazy to look up ATM.I meant equal amounts of alcohol.

TheGimp
04-17-2006, 03:32 PM
I think this is wrong from what I've read (I could be wrong). While the liver takes 1 hour to process 1 unit of alcohol, each unit of alcohol will stay in your sytem for about 8 hours and during that time protein synthesis is affected.

Can you post some links? I'd be interested in reading up on this.

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Ok.. So... If I drink Friday and Saturday.. Usually 9-10 shots of something liek So Co 100 proof and one or two mixed drinks like vodka and Diet Rite or Sprite Zero... How bad is that going to **** up my workout? Ive been searching all over...

Holto
04-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Can you post some links? I'd be interested in reading up on this.

I'm having a hard time finding a study that uses actual humans.

Lothar
04-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Ok.. So... If I drink Friday and Saturday.. Usually 9-10 shots of something liek So Co 100 proof and one or two mixed drinks like vodka and Diet Rite or Sprite Zero... How bad is that going to **** up my workout? Ive been searching all over...

Sounds like somebody's in college.

Or an alcoholic. One of those.

Most varsity athletics programs I'm familiar with establish a 48 hour rule against drinking before games with the idea that some sort of negative effect can linger throughout that duration, and some of the more hardcore teams will ban any sort of ingestion of alcohol in-season altogether.

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 09:01 AM
HAHA You got it right... Im in college.

I dont drink during the week. I make sure my diet is in check. Im currently maintaining at 2500 calories and abut 230 g Protein per day. I know my buddy, who is a swimmer for us here at college, had a completely dry season. I just want to know how bad it will **** up my gains, if at all.

Holto
04-20-2006, 09:08 AM
HAHA You got it right... Im in college.

I dont drink during the week. I make sure my diet is in check. Im currently maintaining at 2500 calories and abut 230 g Protein per day. I know my buddy, who is a swimmer for us here at college, had a completely dry season. I just want to know how bad it will **** up my gains, if at all.

I know a guy who earned his pro card at the age of 40.

I talk to some of his friends on a regular basis and apparently the guys an alchoholic.

The only time of the year he doesn't drink every night is the 8weeks before a show.

This is a guy with 20+" arms.

I'm still not convinced about this alchohol phenomenon.

So far the studies (I can find) that use human tissues are taking place in petrie dishes.

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Ive just heard so much bad **** about it. But I figure if my diet is right and I drink a little, nothing will be hurt. I dont drink every night and sometimes I only drink once a weekend. I stay away from mixing with the fattening regular pop's, so I do Diet Rite, which has NOTHING in it. I think Ill be fine.

BG5150
04-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Why not stop drinking altogether (gasp!) for a while and see how it affects your gains?

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Why not stop drinking altogether (gasp!) for a while and see how it affects your gains?

Hmmm... Ive got two weeks of school left... Then the summer... Damnit. LOL. I might give that a shot after the last week of classes.

jkirkpatrick
04-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Decide what is important in your life and do it. End of story.