PDA

View Full Version : Power Cleans!

backseatwitme13
04-16-2006, 12:30 AM
I was wondering what lifts or exercises i could do to help my power clean max i'd appreciate it if you could help me out.

drew
04-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Hang cleans, high pulls, deadlifts, front squats, upright rows, box squats, sumo deadlifts.

khari
04-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Clean pulls and full squat cleans if you know how to do them properly. Nothing will help like simply doing more powercleans though.

Canadian Crippler
04-16-2006, 02:09 AM
Reverse Curls.

HA. K, kidding. Good suggestion above.

(or Zottmans)

whiteman90909
04-17-2006, 07:28 AM
hank snatch

Hazerboy
04-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Reverse Curls.

HA. K, kidding. Good suggestion above.

(or Zottmans)

HAHAHAHA

This is so ironic. I did power cleans today and I also did reverse curls in the same workout.

If you do them with a thick bar I bet they wouldn't hurt. Not because they mimic the power clean motion, but it would help with wrist and grip strength, which makes a bigger difference than you think. Whenever I max out I use straps and the weight seems sooo much lighter.

Anyways, just train your grip along with the other excercises people have suggested.

SkinnySadMan
04-17-2006, 05:11 PM
I hate dropping the weights, I don't have bumper plates so I can't just smash the loaded barbell on my wooden floor.

Now my back hurts, and I think it was from saturday when I was doing front squats.... I clean the weight up. Is there a proper way of lowering the bar back down without straining or pulling your damn muscles ?

Meat_Head
04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Start light, eccentric olympic lifts will make you sore. The most stress is on the forearms and hands, spine erectors and traps second. When you drop the weight from the clean position and catch it by your hips, drop into a half squat and slow the bar down gradually instead of snapping it to a halt. This will train your body to decellerate(sp?) heavy weights, an essential part of athletic explosiveness.

drew
04-17-2006, 06:40 PM
I haven't found a way to put it down without a lot of wrist stress. Just rack it.

SkinnySadMan
04-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Shoot...... Going to have to invest in a new olympic set along with bumper plates. .... and I haven't bought any "Cow Mats" (those rubber carpet thingies) yet.

EDIT: Meat_Head, thanks for the info! :) And damn... I don't think it's just my back muscle it might have been my spine ??

Scooter
04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Exrx has a Example Clean & Jerk Training Progressions that might be helpful: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html
Progression A
* Deadlift
* Full Squat
* Front Squat
Progression B
* Shrug
* Hang Jump Shrug
* Jump Shrug
Progression C
* Hang Pull
* High Pull
Progression D