PDA

View Full Version : Diet for gaining lean muscle mass?

Nickthebassist
04-16-2006, 04:18 AM
OK, I want to put on lean muscle mass, with very little fat gain, if none at all. My routine is WBB1 with some HIIT thrown in at the weekend. I've been tracking on fitday, and have stayed at a consistent weight for the last 5 days, eating about 3500kcal(obviously my weight flucutates at the end of the day slightly depending on how much water I consume). What would you recommend I eat, SPECIFICALLY with these thing in mind? Any ideas would be great!

getfit
04-16-2006, 04:59 AM
what exactly are you eating now?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2006, 05:18 AM
This thread is like déjà vu.

Nickthebassist
04-16-2006, 09:39 AM
This thread is like déjà vu.
I did do a search. As for what I'm eating, well my Fitday explains that better than I can.
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Nickthebassist
Hopefully that's a link to what I've been eating!
I forgot to weigh myself last night, and I'm yet to enter yesterday's and today's foods, but I'm gettin round to it.

Holto
04-16-2006, 11:44 AM
What would you recommend I eat, SPECIFICALLY with these thing in mind? Any ideas would be great!

I recommend you determine your baseline diet. What you are doing now is excellent. Keep tracking for at least another week or two. If you want minimal fat gain you need to be surgical in determining your maintenance cals.

Then you can go slightly above maintenance by 300-500 cals/day.

If you can go +500/day for 3-4 weeks and not gain much fat you may want to go higher. Again the key is knowing your exact maintenance cals and exactly what you eat daily. Make small increments from there and be patient. You might think you're not gaining much fat on +300 and go to +500 prematurely and gain fat really quickly.

Nickthebassist
04-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Ok cool. I think, looking at my fitday, that my maintenance cals are AROUND 3500, however, I haven't been able to measure exact calories in everything as some of the stuff simply doesn't have that information on it, so I have to use the fitday foods(which arent always exact). What I will do is take all measurements and average them out.

Nickthebassist
04-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I recommend you determine your baseline diet. What you are doing now is excellent. Keep tracking for at least another week or two. If you want minimal fat gain you need to be surgical in determining your maintenance cals.

Then you can go slightly above maintenance by 300-500 cals/day.

If you can go +500/day for 3-4 weeks and not gain much fat you may want to go higher. Again the key is knowing your exact maintenance cals and exactly what you eat daily. Make small increments from there and be patient. You might think you're not gaining much fat on +300 and go to +500 prematurely and gain fat really quickly.

Surely if I don't gain fat, then that's a good thing? I will see if I gain muscle. Also, I'm doing HIIT, so that fat should get burned.

betastas
04-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Surely if I don't gain fat, then that's a good thing? I will see if I gain muscle. Also, I'm doing HIIT, so that fat should get burned.

Why would the fat be burned if you have readily available energy due to excess calories in your system?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Why would the fat be burned if you have readily available energy due to excess calories in your system?:withstupi

brickt.
04-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I told you on AIM, you CANNOT burn fat and build muscle at the same time. (without great difficulty)

Lose the fat, or build the muscle, make a choice.