PDA

View Full Version : How detrimental is HIIT to muscle growth?

Nickthebassist
04-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Heading says it all really! Also, is going for a jog with a 5 mintues warm up, then 15 mintues of HIIT, then a 9 mintues walk/jog back home gonna cause too much trouble, or should it always be 25 mins total, including two 5 mintues warm ups?

Anthony
04-16-2006, 08:10 AM
15 minutes for your first time might be too much. Shoot for 5.

HIIT is good for muscle growth.

Bob
04-16-2006, 08:23 AM
HIIT is NOT detrimental for muscle growth.. in fact it enhances it... and there is lots of proof out there.. look at some of the links that Anthony posted in a previous HIIT Thread..

Only the long endurance cardio breaks down your ability to build muscle & strength efficiently.

Nickthebassist
04-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Ahhh, cool. As for dropping the time, that might be ok for running, as i'm new to doing it on running, but iwas doing something like HIIT for a while on my bike(without realising it), generally because I was an unfit ****er, and could only do short bursts of speed! Also, does this mean I should do HIIT everyday before doing weights?

Anthony
04-16-2006, 10:53 AM
No, don't do it every day. A true HIIT session is similar to a weight training session. Depending on the rest of your routine, 1-3 times a week is plenty.

Nickthebassist
04-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Ok, cool. Are you sure it doesn't burn any muscle? Also, won't it create a calorie deficit, meaning I have to eat to replenish the calories? And therefore negating the point of it to burn fat?

John04Civic
04-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I've tried searching, and I believe there is an article (but can't find it), but what exactly is HIIT?

Can someone shoot me a link?

Thanks,

John