PDA

View Full Version : My bulking diet

KarateBoy
04-16-2006, 02:05 PM
My goal was/is to get atleast 5000 a day and on some day I manage to fit into my stomach closer to 6000:)

Talk about being dead on:
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicjournals.html?Owner=Mehow&Year=2006&Month=3&Day=14 :evillaugh

I've been eating this many calories for 4 weeks now and I'm finally happy to see results after 5 months of nothing.

HEIGHT: 5'11.5''

In the last 4 weeks I went from 156 lbs @ ~13.5%

to

165 lbs @ 14%

I'm really happy that I was able to gain about 7lbs of muscle with only a gain og about 2 lbs of fat. That's will make it for me much easier when I cut.

Here's something that I've been curious about. It seem to me that of the 9lbs gained, I was able to put on about 6-7 lbs in 2 weeks and then my body started to tear into my body fat (I was hitting 15% after those 2 weeks), any thoughts on this? My thoughts are that my body is just great at metabolising fat and since I've been lean my whole life, it went after the fat.

Davidelmo
04-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Diet looks fine.. pretty much how I bulk.. small amount of calorie dense foods (i.e. tons of milk, peanut butter etc.)

If you're putting on more fat than you'd like, drop the calories a little. Also, how's your workout routine? Are you doing the right muscle-building exercises?

KarateBoy
04-16-2006, 03:59 PM
This has been my routine for the last month: I work out at school so some days my time is limited

Monday: Chest & Tris

3 sets of DB flat bench press
2-3 sets of incline DB press
2-3 sets of skullcrushers
2-3 sets of dips

Tuesday: Back and Bis

3-4 Sets of deadlift
2-3 sets of pull ups/chin ups
2-3 sets of preacher curls

Wednesday: Legs and Abs
3 Set of squats
3 sets of concentration leg raises

Thursday: Shoulders + tris
2-3 Sets of military press
2-3 Skullcrushers
2-3 sets of tricep pulldowns

Friday-Sunday = rest days.

Thats the general flow of it....sometimes I would rest on wednesday and more the wednesday to thursday etc...

I'm also going to switch back to barbell for bench.

Davidelmo
04-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Pretty basic routine, but decent enough in content. Maybe a few more exercises and a little more intensity might help:
Bent over rows on back day,
Straight-legged deadlifts on leg day (you dont have any hamstring exercises!) and leg curls.

I would actually swap day 1 and day 2 as well. I wouldn't want to do squats the day after deadlifts. That's just a personal thing though.

KarateBoy
04-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I have heard that my routine is basic. Moreover, I've been wanting to implement rows into my workout, but other then the lack of rows (and hamstrings), what would I need to do to make it a "better" routine?

Does better = more muscle growth stimulation?

Is there anywhere a list of the different types of rows?

Davidelmo
04-16-2006, 08:53 PM
www.exrx.net has a ton of exercises for each body part.

I like bent over barbell rows.. 3 sets, 6-8 reps. I sometimes finish with dumbell rows and then a set of curls.

And yes, better would = more muscle stimulation and growth. Your routine isn't that bad but it's a little unbalanced (i'e you're giving more attention to triceps than your legs.)

I know people often say this, but have you tried WBB1? That's a really good routine and I think it's an improvement over what you're using now.

Like I said, your diet seems pretty solid so if you're not gaining enough muscle, it's probably your routine that's at fault.

(Also I just realised you dont have any calve exercises in there either)

KarateBoy
04-16-2006, 09:05 PM
www.exrx.net has a ton of exercises for each body part.

I like bent over barbell rows.. 3 sets, 6-8 reps. I sometimes finish with dumbell rows and then a set of curls.

And yes, better would = more muscle stimulation and growth. Your routine isn't that bad but it's a little unbalanced (i'e you're giving more attention to triceps than your legs.)

I know people often say this, but have you tried WBB1? That's a really good routine and I think it's an improvement over what you're using now.

Like I said, your diet seems pretty solid so if you're not gaining enough muscle, it's probably your routine that's at fault.

(Also I just realised you dont have any calve exercises in there either)

Now I understand.

So it goes back to the work your entire body.

Right now, my more then satisfied with my legs so I'm trying to focus on my lagging parts ( most of my upper body).

I'll look into WBB1 again.

One mores question...what do you think of my muscle gain to fat gain ratio? 7:2. Doesn't seem to be that much fat but this is my first time bulking.

KarateBoy
04-17-2006, 04:33 PM
I brought this up to another forum and they said its almost impossible to gain 7 lbs of muscle and its more likely 2 lbs of muscle and 7 lbs of fat.

Any thoughts?

Davidelmo
04-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Like I said on the other forum, you might have gained 7lbs of LBM, but 7lbs of pure muscle would be highly unlikely! I dont think 7lbs of fat is likely either, because I'm sure you'd notice that in the mirror.

Probabl a combination of muscle, fat and water weight.

KarateBoy
04-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Like I said on the other forum, you might have gained 7lbs of LBM, but 7lbs of pure muscle would be highly unlikely! I dont think 7lbs of fat is likely either, because I'm sure you'd notice that in the mirror.

Probabl a combination of muscle, fat and water weight.

Thanks, I didn't see your post on the other forum.

KarateBoy
04-20-2006, 04:09 PM
I recently heard that it would be better for me to cut out the fat and add carbs..any thoughts?