PDA

View Full Version : healthy diet in China

ottomanart
04-16-2006, 09:30 PM
I am currently living in small city in SW China and there is a list of things that are hard to find here that I eat back in the US. We have plenty of fruit and veg but most meat dishes are a bit "lacking" when it comes to the meat. We have tofu also, but I am not a fan. I cook some at home but am busy and don't always have time to. I have resorted to eating a lot of trail-mix (nuts and dried fruit) to try and keep up the protein. I was able to find a protein supplement (in a big city) that I now take post workout but I am curious if there are any other foods I should be on the lookout for to keep my protein level up. I am also having problems with calcium being that most of the milk in this area is not pasteurized the same way as it if in the US. Any help would be great!

PredatorX
04-17-2006, 06:58 AM
I dont have any answers, but I'm interested in any advice given in this thread. I'll probably be in China for a year or two, within a few years, and this question has been on my mind also. I cant imagine it will be easy to get a decent macronutrient ratio with typical chinese food.

HILL
04-17-2006, 07:21 AM
surely there is plenty of fish available. if all else fails use your protein poweder during the day i get 120g of protien atleast!!! a day from protein powder.

ottomanart
04-17-2006, 08:03 AM
If anyone is going to be in big city in China there will be no problem finding all the western food you want, health food or otherwise!!! Walmart has a good stock of everything. The thing is... I live in a little tiny town... so things are a bit hard to find. Yes, there is plenty of fish... this is true. The thing is when you order a fish... you get a whole fish. I don't mind eating off the bone but thats a lot of fish for one person. Like I said I bought my protien supplement some where else (bigger place). Your best bet is to find a gym and make friends that may be able to order stuff for you. Even in My little town I have found a gym that can order stuff (though they don't have anything in stock).

Stupendous
04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
You can't freeze the fish for later?

Eszekial
04-17-2006, 02:10 PM
I think he means that he doesn't want to strip off the skin and pick at the bones.

it really is a pain in the ass. An alternative would probably be very helpful.

I would go with protein powder.

dissipate
04-19-2006, 01:10 AM
well... if fish is the only huge source of protein you can get.. fish is what you'll have to eat unless you can ship protein powder in...