PDA

View Full Version : carb-load tonight on NHE?

01-19-2002, 09:56 AM
I'm currently doing the NHE cutting plan and just completed my metabolic shift week last night. (7 straight days of <20g carbs, YAY :) )
The diet now calls for the next 2 days of 30-60g carbs and then a carbload at the end of the 3rd day.

I took all of last week off from the weights and really wanna hit up a session tomorrow morning but am worried I won't have any energy due to crap low glycogen stores. So I was thinking about having the carb load tonight, workout tomorrow morning, and the following 2 days are downcycles again just like the diet calls for.

My carb load meal tonight would consist of 1 1/6 cup of oatmeal and 2 scps of protein on top of them.

1 1/6 cup Dry Oats (334,58,12,3)
2 scp Protein Whey (115,4,20,2)

Calories = 449
Carbs = 62g
Protein = 32g
Fat = 5g

I know protein is higher than 20g in the meal but I don't care much. The whey is pretty damn insulinogenic and the meal itself isn't that big by my standards. Makes the oatmeal tasty too. Carbs are kept barely over 60g like the diet calls for, and Fat is kept to a bare minimum.

Do you guys think having the carb-load tonight will still keep me on the plan? I still plan on following the recommended 3rd then 4th day carbloads throughout this diet. Just wanna carbload the first one a few days early.

MonStar1023
01-19-2002, 10:02 AM
I personally think YES you should carb-load tonight especially if your workout is tomorrow. However, I think your carb-load is WAY off.. if you read NHE a) do NOT count calories, ESPECIALLY during the carb-load. b) your free to eat any kind of starchy carbs and use carbohydrate partioning to eat any kind of food that you would like. If you CHOOSE to eat oatmeal- which I dont understand because it tastes like garbage. I would rather go with noodles and spaghetti sauce along with a few scoops of ice-cream. Also SPECIFICALLY in NHE he recommends NOT eating protein or fat with the carbs. So I would drop the protein powder.

:cool::cool:

Also are you taking in any carb-up supplements or keeping a journal?

01-19-2002, 12:20 PM
hey monstar - yes I know specifically what Faigin recommends for the carbload but I like counting calories. The diet will go good counting calories or not, but I think if I count them, it will only make the diet go that much better. IMO, the main reason faigin doesnt' have his reader's count calories is because it gets very complicated for newer readers and can discourage them into not using the diet at all. I've been calorie counting the last year and am very good at it, so I'll stick with it.

About the oatmeal/whey vs pasta situation.. hehe believe it or not I actually find oatmeal with eas chocolate whey on top tastier than pasta.. you probably think I'm weird.. lol. But I also like pasta and may go with it. It'll be a spur of the moment thing tonight :D
I'm not downing any icecream cause I don't desire it right now plus I'm doing the cutting diet, even though I know the ice cream and pasta is what he recommends and probably won't hurt. But its tough to get a fair serving of pasta and a serving of icecream thats a little over 60g. And yes I know you can go as high as you want but I'm sticking to 60-70g. You can't argue that straight pasta would be even better though when cutting. So I may just do the pasta.

The thing about this diet is all my cravings for carbs are totally gone and my energy levels are very stable all day and I feel great. I got through the metabolic shift week with ease and don't want carbs tonight but feel I'll need them to workout tomorrow.

Not keeping a journal for the cutting because I only have a few more lbs of fat to lose before I'm around 8%. It shouldn't take me too long. I may switch to the bodybuilding version sometime in february, and then consider starting a journal.

Peace. :cool:

the doc
01-19-2002, 12:24 PM
remember you can have up to 100 g of carbs or more whilst cutting :)

It is sort of a cheat meal...lol

MonStar1023
01-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Well good luck with it bro.

:cool::cool:

01-20-2002, 10:00 AM
thanks for the replies mons, doc.

Last night I decided to go with 85g dry Pasta and 1 Ice Cream Sandwich. 85g of carbs in all. :cool:

MonStar1023
01-20-2002, 10:36 AM
No problem bro. Last night I went with the biggest bowl of pasta and tomato sauce I have ever eaten and 2 scoops of Ben & Jerry's Choclate Chip Cookie Dough....

:angel::angel:

01-20-2002, 01:25 PM
just finished my workout this morning. First time back to the gym in a week and just got off that 7 days of <20g carbs so I was worried about strength levels but it turned out all good. My strength was the same in almost all my lifts, and in a few I got out some extra reps. Love the diet so far.