PDA

View Full Version : How much is this Crossfit girl squatting?

Sensei
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
How much is this girl in the pic squatting? I guessing somewhere in the low 300s, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/CrossFit_olifting-cert-jan-2006-th.jpg

getfit
04-17-2006, 04:51 PM
more then i'll ever squat in my whole life :(

Anthony
04-17-2006, 04:59 PM
I believe that is Aimee Anaya. Here's a video of her 100kg C&J ... http://www.mikesgym.org/gallery/video/aimee%20anaya.mov

Edit: I found a section in one of the seminar notes that says it's 115kg. So maybe those bumpers are 25lbs each?

Maki Riddington
04-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I love the rubber plate effect. Not taking anything away from her lift as it is most impressive.

Meat_Head
04-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Looks like 3 45lb bumpers and 1 25lb per side, so 365lbs, but its hard to tell with the bumper plates. That's freaky strength for a female, but look at her form... looks like she's asking for knee problems to me.

Anthony
04-17-2006, 06:43 PM
What's wrong with her form?

Sensei
04-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Nothing wrong with her form at all! Not many people can squat with form as impeccable as that!

Meat,
You're simply going to have some forward knee tracking if you are squatting high-bar ass-to-ankles. It is not excessive at all. Look how freaking dead straight her back is!!

Meat_Head
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Her back is fine, its her knees I'm worried about. It looks like she is actually sitting on her calves, decompressing her knees/quads. If she is, when she started the concentric part of the rep there's gonna be a huge whiplash of weight piled onto the knees/quads when they are stretched as far as possible. I know alot of people squat this way and swear by it, but after years of heavy lifting with that form to that depth, I don't see how there couldn't be knee problems. Look at how bunched up her glutes are, they are not stretched nearly as far as they could be for a squat. Her knees are almost a foot in front of her toes, it just seems like a recipe for disaster with a weight that heavy.

MixmasterNash
04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
It's not over 300. It's 200 something, and it's being done in a teaching seminar -- I think it may have been a pause squat. The guy behind her is Mike Burgener, olympic lifting coach.

Built
04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Nothing at all wrong with that form - it's to DIE for.

Strongk beotch. I'm impressed. Wow!

Sensei
04-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Meat,
Have you ever seen OLers squat?

Meat_Head
04-18-2006, 09:06 AM
No sensei, I don't know anything about olympic lifting. What is an olympic squat?

Again, the only problem I have with her form is how far her knees are pushed in front of her feet. Believe it or not, you can utilize your glutes alot better in an olympic squat than that. I've seen alot of high bar oly squats where the knees don't stick out nearly as far, and I would consider those squats as taking advantage of the hip flexors better and being safer for the knees(long term).

Anthony
04-18-2006, 09:14 AM
MH, can you post pictures of the oly squats you are describing?

MixmasterNash
04-18-2006, 09:56 AM
I've seen alot of high bar oly squats where the knees don't stick out nearly as far, and I would consider those squats as taking advantage of the hip flexors better and being safer for the knees(long term).

I haven't.

http://www.pyrros.gr/demo/images/photo/photo_1_1s.jpg

Virtually every olympic lift and training variation has the knees travelling far in front of the feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-IadDDsK4&search=ironmind

Meat_Head
04-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks for proving my point, that guys knees are not NEARLY as far in front of his toes as hers are in that squat. I'll try to find some pics...

ArchAngel777
04-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I believe that is Aimee Anaya. Here's a video of her 100kg C&J ... http://www.mikesgym.org/gallery/video/aimee%20anaya.mov

Edit: I found a section in one of the seminar notes that says it's 115kg. So maybe those bumpers are 25lbs each?

They should be 22 lbs each. They are like 10k bumpers IRRC.

Sensei
04-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks for proving my point, that guys knees are not NEARLY as far in front of his toes as hers are in that squat. I'll try to find some pics...
"That guy" is Pyrros Dimas and trust me, his knees are further forward than his toes (edited twice for ArchAngel777). The angle of the photo makes a difference too in how you are perceiving it.

ArchAngel777
04-18-2006, 03:30 PM
"That guy" is Pyrros Dimas and trust me, his toes are further forward than his toes. The angle of the photo makes a difference too in how you are perceiving it.

His toes are further than his toes?

Meat_Head
04-18-2006, 04:00 PM
"That guy" is Pyrros Dimas and trust me, his toes are further forward than his toes. The angle of the photo makes a difference too in how you are perceiving it.

I agree, but they don't come as far over his toes as her knees do. There's a big difference in their form in that aspect. But you're right, the camera angle does probably exaggerate it a bit.