PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcrack

fixationdarknes
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I used to be a very dedicated lifter. I almost never missed a lifting session. I tried my best to eat as much as I could, focusing on healthy fats/proteins and the rest to carbs. I ate at the right times, and ate what I believed would benefit me most. I honestly followed a pretty strict diet, and only "cheated" once in a while (although to me, "cheating" in a bulking phase isn't necessarily that bad). I always tried to get enough rest, and keep myself motivated.

That was 6 months ago.

These past 6 months, I got addicted to a video game called World of Warcraft (WoW). I previously did most of my lifting sessions at the high school gym. But the more I played WoW, the more addicted I got. Soon I stopped doing homework at home, because I was too busy playing WoW. This forced me to do homework during my open periods at school, which left me no time to do my lifting sessions. I also stopped eating food normally; I could easily play 8 hours straight of WoW without even stopping once to go grab a bite of food.

My lifting/dieting lifestyle wasn't the only thing that changed. My grades dropped, my parents were constantly mad at me, I became less responsible, and ultimately became enslaved to WoW.

On 4/13/06 at about 8:00 pm, while in Mexico, I finally made the decision to forever quit WoW and never reap its horrible side effects once again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Goals: At this point, a little bit of everything. Size/Strength/Endurance/GPP.

-I no longer have the opportunity to lift at my school gym anymore, and I can't get a gym membership just yet. But that won't stop me. For now, I am going to do the CrossFit WoD's with a diet of over maintenance calories. I'd like to get a gym membership 6 months from now. And once I do, I plan to work my way back to doing traditional weight room work, but incorporating CrossFit/GPP elements.

Let's begin, shall we.

fixationdarknes
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Monday, 17 April 2005 -- CrossFit WoD

21 Burpees, get air (6")
21 Squat snatches, 45 pound barbell
21 Wall Ball shots, 10 foot target, 20 pound ball
21 Thrusters, 25 pound dumbbells
21 Squat cleans, 25 pound dumbells

It was prescribed to do 3 rounds of this. I finished one round in 43:40, but I can honestly say that during that whole 43 minutes there wasn't one second where I wasn't breathing hard and in serious pain.

I've never attempted GPP training like this before, and I totally underestimated the difficulty of this workout. But all I know is that I'll do better next time. Maybe I'll use less weight than prescribed so I can actually finish all the rounds.

Spartan936
04-17-2006, 07:07 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good job on kicking the habit.

:lurk:

drew
04-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Good luck on your new quest Fix. Sometimes we all need a long layoff to get our heads right. Glad to have you back.

KevinStarke
04-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Well look whos back, lookin forward to seein what you can do.

brickt.
04-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Holy crap! You don't know me buddy, I used to lurk when you were doing your original journal.

Hi.

Patz
04-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I kicked him in his Asian ass..

Coke
04-18-2006, 05:52 AM
How cool, you've been gone for a bit - seeing you pull it all together this way is great Fix!!

Nito
04-18-2006, 06:14 AM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEK lil' fixation

Anthony
04-18-2006, 06:30 AM
I've never attempted GPP training like this before, and I totally underestimated the difficulty of this workout

Most people underestimate the workouts, so not to worry. Ease yourself into this. Don't be ashamed to scale back the weight/reps/rounds to your level and then gradually build up. The good news is that you will make quick progress.

And congrats on quitting WoW. I have a friend who used to be addicted to Everquest and he finally kicked the habit.

:thumbup:

Clifford Gillmore
04-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Great work for attempting GPP at its most brutal man! Like tony says, scaling it back is no biggie. Best of luck!

Eszekial
04-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh but the grind to Champion as a resto druid was oh so much fun!

Err, welcome to the recovery club. WoW is a waste of life.

Canadian Crippler
04-18-2006, 12:10 PM
To be specific, you weren't doing GPP since you aren't an athlete training for specific methods in your sport (shutup Anthony :p)

Workout looks good man. That looks tough as hell. Although I just finished a big ass debate as to why someone with my goals doesn't need to do those type of workouts, I might give that one a try on the weekend.

Gutz981
04-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Just quit Wow huh? I play Eq2 occassionally. I was never addicted to it though. Glad to hear your recovering I was a big MMORPG guy way back when. Good luck with the comeback.

McIrish
04-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Man, I know *SO* many kids who became evercrack addicts. Props to you for getting out of the game, so to speak. Keep up the lifting!

YoBrickWall
04-18-2006, 08:19 PM
good choice on changing your life style,,keep going forward bud

YBW

Kiaran
04-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Well, well, well, look who finally got their ass back in here. I see you're paying the price of you WoW escapades, lol. Good to see you back, bro.

fixationdarknes
04-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Tuesday 18 April 2006 -- Rest Day (and very glad that it is :))

~Active Recovery~ (pretty much copied Anthony here ;))

--Bikeride
-33 minutes, pretty much went around the neighborhood. Really loosened up my legs quite nicely.

--Squat Cleans
-40 lbs, 5 reps
--Pushups
-BW, 5 reps
--Squat Cleans
-40 lbs, 5 reps
--Pushups
-BW, 10 reps

~Gripper Training~ <-- (each set includes both my left and right hand)
-40 lb. x 10
-40 lb. x 8
-40 lb. x 6
-100 lb. x 15
-100 lb. x 12
-100 lb. x 10
-100 lb. x 9
-100 lb. x 7

--Overall: It's always amazing what a nice active recovery session can do for you. And with the grippers, I always start with my left hand because it's weaker, and only do that many with my right hand. I could probably bust out 20+ with my right hand.

Spartan- Yeah, I had been addicted for so long. But once I actually sat down and thought about it, it wasn't that hard making the decision to quit. I'm so glad I did.

drew- Heh, thanks. GL to you too.

Kevin- Wuet, thanks. I hope I can eventally do some of the stuff you have achieved.

brick- Really? Hm, well I hope my journal will actually last this time. ;)

mrelwood- Staf00 n00b. :D

Coke- Yeah I have. Thanks bro.

Nito- Eeeeek, I'm back! :p

Anthony- Thanks a lot man. You've really influenced me a lot this whole time I've been at WBB.

Risk- Thanks dood. Yeah I plan to scale back some of the weight and reps next time.

Eszekial- Haha. I had a Feral Druid man. Resto = LaMeZ0rS.

Crip- Lol. Get out of my journal. :D Thanks bro.

Gutz- Heh yeah I'm quite glad I quit too. Thanks.

McIrish- lol. Thanks man. I promise to never let a video game destroy my life again.

YoBrick- Thanks dood. I plan to.

Kiaran- Heh heh. Thanks man.

MJS
04-19-2006, 03:42 AM
MMORPG's are a bitch. I was addicted to Dark Age of Camelot for a solid 2.5 years. Ruined my social life from 9th - 11th grade. Missed out on all the drugs and booze. Not the sex though. Shame...

Glad to see your back into the sport. 16 yo... very nice. By the time you graduate high school you are going to be a monster.

lilmase1153
04-19-2006, 03:44 AM
Well welll well I guess I can come out of lurking to say grats on your newly found dedication. And I hope to keep seeing some w/os from you...

Canadian Crippler
04-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Biking's a great way to get some blood flowing to the ol' legs. Good choice!

Clifford Gillmore
04-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Nice recovery session!

Skinny Fat
04-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Good for you kicking the addiction to the curb - of course, now you'll probably get addicted to XFit. Eh, at least it's a slightly healthier addiction!

:thumbup:

Most of the Crossfit WoDs sneak up on you - and kick you in the head. Keep it up, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Kick some ass!

SkinnySadMan
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Heh I can feel your addiction Fix, good job ditching the E-crack. I played on server Gorefiend. Had a 60 mage and lots of other alts. Yeah... it was a bitch trying to get off your ass to cook some food.

I quit though, but I playing some Xbox 360 games now lol.

fixationdarknes
04-19-2006, 09:07 PM
~Wednesday 19 April 2006 -- CF WoD~

Weaksauce version of "Murph"

--For time:
-1/2 mile Run
-13 complete Chinups and 9 half Chinups
-100 Pushups
-280 Squats
-1/2 mile jog

--Completed in 1:26:03. A few distractions here and there: phone call, my mom yelling at me for something stupid, and had to tie my shoelace. :D

:swear: :bang: :swear: :bang: :swear: :bang: 86 minutes of pure pain!!!

-I am quite disappointed though that my Chinups sucked so badly. Although I honestly am quite proud that I endured through all that. I really did give it my best shot...came so close to puking a number of times.

MJS- Heh thanks. My friend was a DAoC addict also. When I came over and watched him play, he literally didn't even blink or ever twitch for like 8 hours straight. He was the definition of addicted.

masey- Thanks buddy. Don't worry I won't let you down.

Crippy- Yeah it really helped my legs feel better...until today after "Murph!" -_-

Risk- Thanks, I got the idea from Anthony. ;)

SkinnyFat- Yeah I feel so much better now that I'm not addited to WoW. Heh, Xfit JUST might be cool enough to get me addicted. But honestly, I think I'm too much of a wimp to actually get "addicted" to something as brutal as Crossfit.

SkinnySad- Haha it's amazing how well WoW addicts know each others' pain. lol how's the Xbox 360 coming along? I plan to relax with some Counter-Strike after AP Exams are over. So, a few weeks from now...oh boy.

SkinnySadMan
04-19-2006, 09:32 PM
A bit worried about my 360, Oblivion had major disc read issues. My Xbox scratched the CD after about 20 hours of gameplay. Same thing happened with the 2nd replaced disc. But I got the 2 year warranty plan so it's all good. :)

About the chins, it never went up for me aswell. Sometimes I do more one week, then next week I'd do a bit less.. like wtf ? Hehe really my lifts never really improve much... I'm a video game addict, sad but true.

fixationdarknes
04-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Ah I see. Well I hope your Xbox CDs dont get ruined, sounds a bit irritating.

And yeah Chinups have probably been one of my toughest exercises ever. I try and try but they are hard to get strong at, at least for me anyway. But I mean, what else can we do except keep trying hard, eh?

SkinnySadMan
04-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Us skinny ****ers just need to eat more (Well not you... almost 160 lbs. and that is my goal). Real simple but easier said than done. God damnit, I real wish I was born a fat ass that means I would be used to eating lots of food.

fixationdarknes
04-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Honestly I'd rather be born skinny. That way, once you get to the point where you can down loads of food (believe me it's possible, it just takes some getting used to), you can gain lots of muscle with very minimal fat gain. You may have to eat a lot more food to achieve that point, but once you do it'll be awesome. ;)

SkinnySadMan
04-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Hehe how much did you weight when you first started lifting? How long did it take you to get used to eating larger amounts of food? It's a very uncomfortable process for me.

I just checked my Fitday calender.. I noticed that for 2-3 days I'd eat like 3000 calories or more. Then there are days when I eat as low as 1500 calories, I can never seem to keep it consistent. Especially if.. *cough* lol I'm playing a game.

fixationdarknes
04-19-2006, 10:05 PM
When I first started lifting, my main lifts were at...

Deadlift: 65-75 lb. sets
Squats: 75-85 lb. sets
Bench: 65 lb. sets

My lifts went up at a pretty decent pace. Then one day I decided to start tracking cals with FitDay and I realize how little I was actually eating. I pumped up the cals and then my strength started to shoot up.

If you need more cals, try adding some natty pb to your diet. It honestly doesn't take much of it to really make a difference in the amount of cals you're intaking.

Anthony
04-20-2006, 03:39 AM
Nice work fix. Just keep working those chins, they will improve with time. Mine are finally starting to come around after 3-4 months of working them hard.

ericg
04-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Nice work man. Def keep it up and you will notice a slight difference in a few weeks!

Leave your cell phone in your locker, then you wont be interrupted.

Kiaran
04-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Mmmm chinups. Nothing like the feeling of your arms and lats ready to explode. If you're feeling ambitious, try some jumping negatives after you can't do any more conventional chins, Fix.

fixationdarknes
04-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Thursday 20 April 2006

~Active Recovery~

--Bikeride
-29 minutes around the neighborhood

--Pushups
-BW x 5
--Squats
-BW x 10
--Pushups
-BW x 5
--Squats
-BW x 10

~Handstand practice~

--Since the WoD involved HSPU's and Pullups, I decided to just practice some handstands because I can't do one and my back was so sore from Murph the previous day. Didn't wanna try pullups.

Anthony- Thanks bro. They're definitely one of my hardest exercises but you're right I'm sure they'll eventually come around.

ericg- Thanks man. I actually do CF WoDs at home. It was a phone call to my house that interrupted me, and my mom walking by me to go somewhere (I was in the garage).

Kiaran- lol seriously. Thanks for the advice. I tried some jumping negatives, but it didn't really work because my pullup bar is just a barbel hanging from the ceiling... so when I jump up on it, it just starts swinging back and forth and that's not good. :rolleyes: I'd really like to get a gym soon.

fixationdarknes
04-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Sunday 23 April 2006

Slightly modified CrossFit WoD

Five rounds for time of:
---Deadlift
-170 x 7
---Pushups
-BW x 10

-Total time: 13:23

My last two pushup sets were broken. A quickie but a goodie.

Patz
04-23-2006, 10:50 PM
how do you do a handstand?

walk up the wall with hands on the floor or something?

KevinStarke
04-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Solid crossfit things man, keep it up.

fixationdarknes
04-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Monday 24 April 2006

~Front Squat practice~

-20 x 2
-40 x 3
-40 x 3
-70 x 3
-70 x 2
-90 x 3
-70 x 3
-70 x 5
-70 x 3
-70 x 5
-70 x 5
-80 x 5
-80 x 5

Focused on depth and wrist flexibility. Other than that, I'd be pretty easily able to handle more weight than that.

MrElwood- handstand next to a wall

Kev- Thanks bro.

McIrish
04-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Fix, keep up the awesome dedication, bro - think of it this way... Your friends will be sitting in front of a DAoC console hoping that the "chick" they're talking to is, in fact, actually 5'9 blonde/blue, as she claims, while you'll be out on Friday night getting ass from a (*GASP*) real-life hot chick. I think you win this one.

ericg
04-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Nice work Fix. Keep it up man.

fixationdarknes
04-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Tuesday 25 April 2006

~Weaksauce version of today's Crossfit WoD~

For time:
-Run 400 meters
-6 Chinups
-21 Elevated pushups
-Run 800 meters
-21 Elevated pushups
-12 Chinups (assisted)
-1 very long jumping Chinup negative ;)
-Run 400 meters

--Our (me and my friend Matt did this at the park) official time was like 52 minutes or something, but that's honestly way inaccurate because at least half the time we were experimenting with handstands, and different-style pullups, and getting sand in our faces!

Irish- Thanks. Yeah I feel a lot better getting out and doing something than sitting at home WoWing.

ericg- Thanks bro.

Optimum08
04-25-2006, 10:16 PM
fixation, good to have you back in the game buddy. now me and shao-lin aren't lonely as the only asian frequenters of the board.

Optimum08
04-25-2006, 10:16 PM
lifting is so much more satisfying then sitting your ass in front of a computer for umpteen hours a day. gotta love the endorphins.

Hockey66
04-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Holy ****! He's alive!

Haaji Dont Surf
04-26-2006, 01:03 AM
Did you hit level 60?

karsel
04-26-2006, 05:57 AM
^lol

I play WoW in my spare time, that game is addictive but never made me miss gym sessions. Lifts are coming along well mate good to see your back into the swing of things.

fixationdarknes
04-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Wednesday 26 April 2006

~Rest Day -- Gripper Training~ (each set includes both left and right arm

-40 x 10
-40 x 10
-40 x 8
-40 x 4

Heavy Grips (http://www.heavygrips.com/)
-150 x fail (90% there with left, 95% there with right)
-100 x 20 (+5R)
-100 x 12
-100 x 10
-100 x 13 (+3R)

--Grippers are really fun. No doubt I can close the 150 next time around.

Optimum- Hah thanks man. I'm gonna form a WBBA (Asian) club. Anyone wanna join?

Hock- Yup, but WoW had me dead for a good 5 months.

Haaji- Nope. 57 druid, 42 rogue, 29 warrior. I spent most of my time pvping, ganking lowbies in Menethril Harbor, and selling enchants. Probably had a good 35-40 days in total "/played" time.

Karsal- Heh. Well for me I got WAY too addicted to the game so it affected my whole life (in a bad way). Thanks.

KevinStarke
04-26-2006, 08:37 PM
That long and no level 60? pffft, I had my UD Priest at 60 in a month with Blood Guard Rank. Nice gripper training man, fun stuff.

fixationdarknes
04-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Haha nice. I never considered myself that good of a leveler either. I just got really addicted though and played a lot.

Thanks, yeah it's quite fun.

pinky8713
04-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Hey bro, it's good to have ya back. The crossfit type stuff seems to be going pretty well. It looks pretty sweet too. Good luck with it man.

Haaji Dont Surf
04-27-2006, 03:52 AM
I've always considered myself to have a pretty weak grip.. Do those things really improve strength in your grip?

Canadian Crippler
04-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Ewww you're bad, I'll gank your midgets in IronForge kk.

KevinStarke
04-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Alot doenst even begin to explain how bad I was man. I ate maybe once or twice some days and would play through the night somtimes.. but thats over now.

Haaji - Get some grippers man trust me they'll make your forearms bigger and I dont care what anyone says they definitelly have some carry over to static strength.

pinky8713
04-27-2006, 11:32 AM
You were hardcore too kevin? I never would've guessed haha. Up until i started lifting January '05, my life was playing MMO's (those games). I would struggle to get off to get food, eating like twice a day. No wonder i couldn't break the 130lb mark haha. Thank god those days are over.

Canadian Crippler
04-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Before you were a kid who played games and never talked to girls. Now you're a kid who doesn't play games and gets rejected by girls.

(Mchenry hahahahahahhahahaahha lmfao!)

fixationdarknes
04-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Thursday 29 April 2006

I got home late and didn't really have much time, so instead of doing the CrossFit WoD, I really shortened it a lot to just jump rope and burpee intervals. Man, burpees GG me so bad.

Pinky- Thanks dood. Yeah I really like Crossfit training.

Haaji- All I can say is, every time I make a tight fist it feels a lot stronger. Not sure exactly how it's helped me directly related with lifting, but I'm sure it has or will help in some way.

--Random comments: Now that I look back on it, I REALLY hate WoW. It totally screwed me up. And I realize now that it wasn't even THAT fun...just addicting to the max.

KevinStarke
04-29-2006, 11:44 AM
I realized the same thing man, it was like a drug...

WBBIRL
04-29-2006, 12:41 PM
The only game that was ever really like that for me was Diablo 2.... Id spend hours and hours and hours just sitting there playing. I still do game quite alot, but I never miss my gym sessions and try to be strict with my diet. Though for me its not eating so much thats key, and sitting my ass on the computer is a distraction from eating so its kinda win win as long as I get my lifts in and go to work im fine. In the last 7 days I've probably invested 25 hours into CSS, but diet has been good, hadent overeaten at all and got all my sessions in at the gym.

I played WoW for a while, but after like 3 months I quit because it was going to slow for me and the money wasn't as available as it is right now. I mainly play some CSS, HL2 or Oblivion in my free time (which is like from 6-11 PM lol)

fixationdarknes
05-08-2006, 10:18 PM
So basically, all video games suck. Although I must admit CS is pretty fun sometimes. ;)

Stuff: Been pretty busy lately studying for AP Comp Sci and AP Physics. Just finished my last test today though...at least, for a while. SAT II for Physics and Math on June 3. ;)

I'm gonna try to get some workouts in now that I have more time.

brickt.
05-08-2006, 10:24 PM
You're all gonna laff, but I went interstate with my clan playing CS back in the day.

Diablo 2 was a hell of a ride. WoW's awesome, but sucks at the same time.

SkinnySadMan
05-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey man, good luck with that. Education > Lifting

--- GEOMETRY WARS IS DA SHIZZZNNIITTT !!!!!!!!!!!

pinky8713
05-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Haha, boy did i love cs. Thank god i moved in with my mom with dial up so i had to stop playing.. Haha.

Get some workouts in fix. Tear it up man!

fixationdarknes
05-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Been kinda busy lately, but I'm still doing some crossfit-style workouts...and doing some running here and there. I'm gonna start back up on the WoD's again...I've missed those girls.

surfer16
05-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Congratz on beating ur addiction :thumbup: I know what its like more than most on here. I was very addicted to Counter-Strike:Source, my 'clan' were ranked first in the enemydown league...god I sound like a nerd saying that. :(

Before I got addicted I was pretty damn fit, a played alot of sports and was a popular kid in my school...

But when i got addicted to CSS everything started to go wrong. Some days i'd get out of bed and play CSS for hours and hours on end. I lost alot of my friends and my family didn't know what to do with me, they would ban me from the PC but i'd always play when they were out.

Four months ago I decided that I'd had enough! my fitness was going down the pan and I was unhappy going out of the house for too long.

So I sold my 'Gaming PC' which was worth like 2 grand (gees I could of spend that money on something usefull) I started training, joining sports clubs, anything to get me fit.. I've taken a job as a paper boy to afford to buy a weights bench and protein shakes.

I've got to say i'm sooo happier in life now, I have goals that i'm dertimind to achieve. I'm noticed a huge differance in my fitness, I'm going out alot more and i've got my mates back - my life has totally turned around.

just saying - ur not alone dude, i know it aint easy starting from scrach again. keep it up :thumbup:

fixationdarknes
06-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Haha nice man. I'm a lot happer too after quitting WoW.

I've still been doing some Crossfit WoDs.. Can't say I'm doing them all, but I am active and not being a lazy butt anymore. I go swimming, play football, some running and basketball.

Going to the local gym today to get a membership!

Bam
06-22-2006, 06:02 PM
dude CS is the funnest game ever any of you guys play CAL? or have IRC?

Im not proud of the fact but ive lanned in Nebraska/Kansas/Florida/Minnesotea for CS =D