PDA

View Full Version : Diffrence between Nautral and Organic PB?

rk77
04-18-2006, 07:30 AM
I was looking at the Organic and Natty crunchy Pb's from Smuckers the other day and they both looked the same (oil on top) and the nutrition info was identical except the organic has way less sodium. Like 150mg in natural compared to 50mg in organic. The organic also listed ingredients as organic roasted peanuts, roasted peanut oil, and 1 percent of less salt. The natural just said peanuts and salt. Anyone better the then other?

Anthony
04-18-2006, 07:37 AM
I say it doesn't matter. 100mg of salt isn't much to worry about.

I do find it strange that so many "natural" peanut butters have added salt. My ingredients are literally listed as "Just Peanuts" or "100% Freshly Roasted Peanuts" - depending on the brand.

Holto
04-18-2006, 08:35 AM
The organic one will have less herbicides, pesticided, fungicides and residue from synthetic fertilizers.

Eszekial
04-18-2006, 09:10 AM
when you can afford it, go all organic. There is some seriously poisonus **** that we eat and have no idea that is destroying us from the inside out. Plus i find organic to actually taste better.

Take it with a grain of salt though.

Teufelhund
04-18-2006, 09:51 AM
um... I was bored.

Teufelhund
04-18-2006, 09:55 AM
And just to feel useful...

The FDA says the following regarding "natural" and "organic" food products in a teacher's guide for food additives:

..."natural" has no Federal definition, and "organic" refers only to restrictions on pesticide use in food production, not to whether one food is safer than another.

source:http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/lesson3.html

So including the term "natural" in the product labelling guarantees you nothing except a higher price.

f=ma
04-18-2006, 10:02 AM
good to know, teufelhund

Teufelhund
04-18-2006, 10:11 AM
and to clarify, "Organic" does not mean that the fruit was not grown over a radioactive landfill and fertilized with the fecal matter of chickens with bird flu (or any chemical fertilizer known to man). It ONLY means that no pesticides were used.

rk77
04-18-2006, 12:40 PM
um... I was bored.

hahahaha. Thanks, cleared it all up for me.

Holto
04-18-2006, 02:30 PM
In states such as Oregon a farm has to have been organic for 9 years before it can certify it's food as organic.

It can't have a non-organic farm beside it. In some states a neighbouring farm can be non-organic but you must have a windfall comprised of heavy trees.

The more I learn about argriculture and nutrition science the more I'm paranoid about what I eat.

The key is to be able to forget everything you read and enjoy some Dairy Queen or whatever once in a while.