PDA

View Full Version : milk or whey

method115
04-18-2006, 01:55 PM
I saw a post on here and someone was saying something about whey being cheaper then milk. I would just like to know if thier is any truth to this cause I sure as helldont wanna buy anymore milk I've tried doing the math on my own but it's to hard for me to calculate.

Holto
04-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Calculate cost/gram of protein and compare.

bigshock
04-18-2006, 08:05 PM
depends on what you want...whey isolate will immedietaly in the system and done in about 2hours....wjere as milk is abit slower.As far as muscle building isolate is the answer.

bigshock
04-18-2006, 08:06 PM
sorry about the spelling.

Slim Schaedle
04-18-2006, 09:23 PM
As far as muscle building isolate is the answer.
Explain this.

Duffman
04-19-2006, 12:12 AM
simple solution. mix your whey with milk

JustLost
04-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Explain this.

There are more ads for WPI in BB mags than for milk.

QED.

Jordanbcool
04-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Milk has two types of protein in it. Whey and casien. Go with milk if you just want to choose one.

However, combining the two would make a great shake and taste pretty good to.

-jordan

Holto
04-19-2006, 02:02 PM
depends on what you want...whey isolate will immedietaly in the system and done in about 2hours....wjere as milk is abit slower.As far as muscle building isolate is the answer.

Ironically a protein that enters the blood more slowly is *better* for building muscle.

Slim Schaedle
04-19-2006, 03:12 PM
There are more ads for WPI in BB mags than for milk.

QED.
Umm, are you saying that because a product is advertised by magazines it is better than a food that is not?

or is this sarcasm?

whiteman90909
04-19-2006, 03:15 PM
simple solution. mix your whey with milk
thats all i do
and noone thought of this before why?... (do people mix their protein powder with water? ugh)

JustLost
04-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Umm, are you saying that because a product is advertised by magazines it is better than a food that is not?

or is this sarcasm?

Neither!

The advertising is the reason that so many people think the supplement du jour is the answer.

Okay, so maybe it was sarcasm. ;)

Slim Schaedle
04-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Neither!

The advertising is the reason that so many people think the supplement du jour is the answer.

Okay, so maybe it was sarcasm. ;)
Ok, b/c I hope you wouldn't base logic on that.

Also, still waiting for Bigshock to explain his reasoning.

bigshock
04-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Hey slim...what I am saying as far as whey isloate it is absorbed rapidly. Upon waking i like to have something my system quickly also after my workouts....other than that i'll get my protein from lean beef and turkey....just what i feel works for me.

bigshock
04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Let us know your thinking on this.

Slim Schaedle
04-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Let us know your thinking on this.
Not trying to be a sh-t head about this, but saying "As far as muscle building isolate is the answer" is incorrect.

Speed of absorption is not directly related to enhanced muscle gain.

bigshock
04-19-2006, 05:20 PM
not taking you as sh** at all.Not everyone has the right answer all the time.what I did say was that it was my preference and it worked for me.Maybe i wasnt clear on it so my apologies.

Slim Schaedle
04-19-2006, 06:23 PM
not taking you as sh** at all.Not everyone has the right answer all the time.what I did say was that it was my preference and it worked for me.Maybe i wasnt clear on it so my apologies.
Good deal. Lots of misinformation is posted sometimes and we have to clear it up every once in awhile.

Jordanbcool
04-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Good deal. Lots of misinformation is posted sometimes and we have to clear it up every once in awhile.

It depends what you want. This fast/slow absorbing debate has been going on for ages.

Personally I dont know why anyone would want something that digests slowly unless its right before bed.

-jordan

bigshock
04-19-2006, 08:47 PM
exactly what i'm saying....I believe in fast absorbtion.I want my body to utilize the protein quickly...that goes for my cycles also...i like everything fast acting.If you're going to be up you can always replenish protein every couple of hours.

Slim Schaedle
04-19-2006, 10:53 PM
It depends what you want. This fast/slow absorbing debate has been going on for ages.

Personally I dont know why anyone would want something that digests slowly unless its right before bed.

-jordan
Again, my post(s) have nothing to deal with preference or what someone wants.

They address the comment made that whey is superior to milk in terms of muscle growth. And now the issue has evolved to speed of absorption. :rolleyes:

Slim Schaedle
04-19-2006, 10:57 PM
exactly what i'm saying....I believe in fast absorbtion.I want my body to utilize the protein quickly...that goes for my cycles also...i like everything fast acting.If you're going to be up you can always replenish protein every couple of hours.
Getting back on topic, it's hard to believe that the diet you posted is your mass diet.

You are 60 lbs heavier than me and using.

I am 60 lbs lighter, natural, and I am eating more than your proposed mass diet for my current cut.

You would probably do much better with alot more food.

EDIT: While I am at it, fast absorption does not necessarily mean fast utlization.

lilmase1153
04-20-2006, 02:53 AM
I saw a post on here and someone was saying something about whey being cheaper then milk. I would just like to know if thier is any truth to this cause I sure as helldont wanna buy anymore milk I've tried doing the math on my own but it's to hard for me to calculate.
This depends on a lot of variables, If your getting whey in bulk (10-20lbs) it may be cheaper per gram but usually you can buy milk and be a bit cheaper per gram.. Also what are your caloric goals? For myself Milk just doesnt fit in the picture, If your looking for higher cals than milk is great..

As far as slow vs Fast acting protein that debate has been beat to death. Honestly I think theres a time and a place for both and when used together is better than either one being used alone.. But this is just my opinion

bigshock
04-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Slim please list your daily food content cause if you're eating more than what i listed then you're right I need to definetly adjust what i'm doing.Hard to believe but as said before not everyone is right all the time.

Slim Schaedle
04-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Slim please list your daily food content cause if you're eating more than what i listed then you're right I need to definetly adjust what i'm doing.Hard to believe but as said before not everyone is right all the time.
I just realized I posted that in the wrong thread. But I will get back to you on that.

Probably easier if I just count what your macros come out to be and tell you if I eat more. Unless you have the number already.

BG5150
04-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Why would you use just milk for your protein? It has ~8g of protein per 8 oz. Most protein powders are ~20-25g per serving. If you mix one scoop ow powder with 16 oz water you are getting 3 times as much than a glass of milk.

Milk has other vitamins and minerals, though.

My suggestion, mix the powder with milk.

method115
04-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Why would you use just milk for your protein? It has ~8g of protein per 8 oz. Most protein powders are ~20-25g per serving. If you mix one scoop ow powder with 16 oz water you are getting 3 times as much than a glass of milk.

Milk has other vitamins and minerals, though.

My suggestion, mix the powder with milk.

Well I actually throw in eggs into the milk as well. The thing is, I'm on a budget and I can't afford to buy both whey and milk. If I could buy both I would have done it and not even bothered posting this.