PDA

View Full Version : Question bout the diet

Mercuryblade
04-18-2006, 10:33 PM
So right now I'm trying to do a very VERY slow cut. I'm estimating my bodyfat probably in the 11% range from pictures. This is more of a question about carbs. From built's journal she talks about carbs on her lifting days, and how she lightens up on the carbs on her non lifting days. All my days are lifting days.
Heres my split
S:Light Abs/Light Legs/Cardio (20 minutes on the treadmill or a 3 mile run)
M: Chest/Upper Back
T: Abs/Obliques/Hip Flexors/Lower Back (1 Mile sprint)
W: Arms/Shoulders
TH: Legs
F: Rest
S: Hungover lift day that consists of pullups, bench, deadlifts, followed by however much cardio I can stomach <3 miles of running.

My split is pretty much a slight variation of WBB2, with the only major difference being is my leg day, with the exception of squats, everything is done with machines, hips, groin, calves, hamstrings etc.
Basically I eat lots of carbs every day before I lift, and post workout, apart from spiking my insulin with a protein shake, I don't eat any more carbs before bed. I'm going to hit up fitday come next week after I get some school related stuff straightened out. But for now I'm wanting to get at least a little input on how I should be taking in my nutrients. I'm guessing that on my more intensive days such as mondays tuesdays and thursday I should eat more carbs then on my less intensive days. Any input is appreciated, even on my split.

Built
04-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Why "light legs", why are you doing direct hip flexor work, why all the machines...???

ddegroff
04-19-2006, 10:30 AM
why are you cutting @ 11%? you carb cycle because carbs make a lot of people hungry. So on lifting days you eat CHO's before and after workout. On days off you up the fats because they digest slower.

get rid of your tuesday workout, combine those lifts with the other workouts. I don't think your resting enough.

HILL
04-19-2006, 10:34 AM
As above at 11% id do a slow bulk. the idea of carb cycling is exactly how is stated above and is a good method to use on a cut when you have limited carbs available

Mercuryblade
04-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Why "light legs", why are you doing direct hip flexor work, why all the machines...???
-I guess light legs is a decieving title, its like my leg workout only reduced, I only do squats, lunges, and calve raises that day.
-I consider weighted leg raises to be more of a hip flexor dominant excercise than abdominal
-The machines are for things such as my hamstrings, and abductor/adductor,

Built
04-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Why do you want to use the adductor/abductor machine? Why not simply do GMs and RDLs for hamstrings - they work better anyway.

I'm not fond of your lifting split for a cut.

???

Mercuryblade
04-21-2006, 01:21 AM
I dunno what GM's and RDL's are, if you are not fond of my split, what would you suggest?
Basically here is my story in a nice short form
I have a freakishly small frame- yeah alot of people say that, but I used to be the same height I am, only 108 lbs. My wrists are about 6' around, smaller than most girls, I get the 'john basedow' reference alot. Freakishly strong but really skinny. Anyhoo, I ultimately want to get bigger, but it is approaching shirtless season, and I want to bring out my abs even more. I know these aren't the "Wannalookgoodforthebeach" forums, but I do enjoy the company of the womenfolk, and want to bring out my six pack.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-21-2006, 01:29 AM
I get the 'john basedow' reference alot.You look like John Basedow?

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9674/basedow012cb.jpg

You sure about that?

Yeah...poor guy...he's so skinny.

/sarcasm

Built
04-21-2006, 01:37 AM
I dunno what GM's and RDL's are,

Good Mornings. Romanian Deadlifts.

if you are not fond of my split, what would you suggest?
Basically here is my story in a nice short form
I have a freakishly small frame- yeah alot of people say that, but I used to be the same height I am, only 108 lbs. My wrists are about 6' around, smaller than most girls, I get the 'john basedow' reference alot. Freakishly strong but really skinny. Anyhoo, I ultimately want to get bigger, but it is approaching shirtless season, and I want to bring out my abs even more. I know these aren't the "Wannalookgoodforthebeach" forums, but I do enjoy the company of the womenfolk, and want to bring out my six pack.

I understand, you're cutting. You need to be dieting carefully and lifting short and heavy. Focus on heavy compounds.

For more on this, read Joel Marion's Ripped, Rugged and Dense (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=214rip2) and Ripped, Rugged and Dense 2.0 (http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=3&a=8)- Mr. Marion goes into detail about how low rep training builds strength, myogenic and neurogenic muscle tone, and isn't overly taxing to the Central Nervous System (CNS). He also suggests a 4-day-on, one-day-off workout split performed in short, 30-minute workouts. Short, frequent, heavy lifting is KEY in maintaining muscle on a cut, and this split will serve well in this regard.

Mercuryblade
04-21-2006, 03:19 PM
You sure about that?

Yeah...poor guy...he's so skinny.

He looks big when he skews his body like that, straight on the guy isn't very big (ie looking straight at him). Try it in the mirror, it's amazing how much bigger you can look. When people see a little guy like me repping 200 on bench and dipping with 45 around his waist thats usually where the basedow references originate from, just in case you wanted a short story about where that came from.

Thanks much for the advice built, I'm gonna switch to a new split and see how it works.

The picture of the narrow stance squat is somewhat confusing, what exactly deems it a narrow stance, in relation to my shoulders, where should my feet be?
Also, about how many calories do you think are burned in a session that marion suggests?

Built
04-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Vary your stance with squats. Everyone is different with these.
Please get away from thinking of exercise to burn off calories. You're lifting heavy to preserve LBM. Diet will create the caloric deficit.

Mercuryblade
04-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Please get away from thinking of exercise to burn off calories.

That wasn't why I was asking, c'mon I know better than that. I was asking because I want to know a ballpark figure of how many calories I would expend in such a workout, so I can make sure I am eating the right amount.

Built
04-21-2006, 05:10 PM
I have NO idea. Go by your progress.

Good luck!