PDA

View Full Version : Jimmything08's Journal... A Journey to ripped..

Jimmything08
04-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey guys... Name is Jd. Im a 19 year old male college student. I thought Id give a little background on me before I start this journal.

Height:5'9
Weight: 170

Ive played soccer and baseball/softball my entire life. I can run, sprint, whatever. Id like to consider myself in excellent cardio shape. Ive been lifting this whole year and made some decent gains. I can tell my chest is much more developed, my arms have developed, and so have my shoulders. Im on a cut right now, eating 4-6 times a day, small meals high in protein. I started the cut on Monday so Ill begin there... Any comments. criticisms, suggestions, or compliments are more than welcome!

The supplements I am on are: BSN No Xplode, ON Whey, and Mega Men MultiVitamin.

Monday- I think something in my right bicep is pulled or torn or something.. it hurts like a bitch when I go to push weight up so I didnt do too much in the way of biceps or tri's.

Tuesday- Leg day. Im really wanting to cut my legs up. My calves are very developed and Im wanting to develop my thighs also. They are strong, just not cut.
Squats 4x10 95 (Warmup) 105 115 135
Lunges 3x10 Bodyweight 20 30
Hamstrings 3x20 30 40 50
Calve Presses 3x20 90 100 110
Cardio- 15 minutes on stationary bike
Abs- 100 crunches with legs on bench, 40 bench crunches

Any suggestions? Today is upper body day.. Ill update later... Also, diet so far today has been:
10 AM- English Muffin with butter and 20g protein bar
1 PM- 1 string cheese stick, Protein shake with vanilla ice cream and 1 scoop ON Whey powder, 1 Turkey and colby jack cheese sandwhich on whole wheat bread.
3 PM- BSN No Xplode Creatine shake. 1 string cheese.

Thats what has been planned so far. Thanks.

Recent Pics

HILL
04-19-2006, 10:38 AM
you seem very light at 170 to be cutting personally and your diet doesnt look to be much at all. take a lookmat my journal as well as chris russow stump mewrllwood and a few others all are cutting and have good advice in for you

Jimmything08
04-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Oh and on the squats... I didnt have a spotter.. I would have liked to squat closer to 200-225 but not without a spot... Id hate to drop that ****.

Also, dont cut? I want to be about 160 and cut. I have a little fat right now, not too much... Just mainly around my lower abs. Thats why Im changing my diet.

Jimmything08
04-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Any suggestions on my diet also? Maybe a cut isnt for me? But I dont want to bulk and get chunky for summer... Looking for that cut look for summer. Maybe I should just maintain my diet and continue to take in 2500-3000 cal a day with 170-180 g Protein?

Focused70
04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
you seem very light at 170 to be cutting personally and your diet doesnt look to be much at all. take a lookmat my journal as well as chris russow stump mewrllwood and a few others all are cutting and have good advice in for you

:withstupi

That's a lot of volume for someone who's cutting. I would do a fullbody, limit it to one movement per bodypart, and drop the sets.

Jimmything08
04-19-2006, 11:53 AM
:withstupi

That's a lot of volume for someone who's cutting. I would do a fullbody, limit it to one movement per bodypart, and drop the sets.
Im sorry... Im not up on the lingo.. Could you explain better? Sorry if thats a hassle. Just trying to learn here.

Maybe I shouldnt be cutting? Maybe just maintaining?

Focused70
04-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Volume = number of sets and reps per session. When you cut, your caloric intake goes way way down, hence your strength level will decrease markedly. Do a full body routine, decrease the number of sets and reps and increase your cardio accordingly, and you should see better results. You might consider upping cardio to about 45 minutes to an hour.

Diet is a separate component and could use a bit of improvement per HILL's suggestion. Your protein intake should be higher than 180 g, as in 1.25 to 1.5 g per lb. of bodyweight.

Jimmything08
04-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Ok... Im thinking maybe I should just maintain then? It just seems when I eat more I feel more full (obviously) and fat. It sucks man... I tmight just be in my head?

Regardless... Is it possible to maintain the weight Im at now and still build muscle without looking fat? Or am I way off here?

Oh, and closer to 213 g of protein then?

Focused70
04-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Some fat gain is inevitable if you're bulking. It goes with the territory.

Jimmything08
04-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Hmm.. well ****. Looks like Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.

GUess Ill just up the cardio, maintain the weight lifting and work on my diet. Get all that in line and then worry about bulking/cutting/whatever in a bit..

HILL
04-19-2006, 12:32 PM
I would eat at your maintanance as you said between 2500 and 300 say 3000 on lift days and 2500 on off days see how it goes. do cardio as you wish. Are you new to this if so this is your best bet as you have newbie gains to come so be happy.

diet i manage to get 220g of protein from 2200 cals so from 2500 to 300 you should easily be hitting 220 plus.

sobadict is spot on with the volume try something like WWB routine or take a look in my journal to see what i do its something ive worked on and like you may not or you may want to adjust feel free to ask any questions u like in my journal or post ure threads in the right places and you will get all the help you need my mate

Jimmything08
04-19-2006, 04:09 PM
No, Ive been lifting for about 2 years... 8 months seriously.Seriously as in trying to get my diet right and do everything right.

Workout today was awesome. I pushed myself to the limit and loved it. Ir eally need to get a training journal...

Jimmything08
04-19-2006, 07:22 PM
So.. So far today I have had 120 grams of protein in shakes alone, 2 40 gram of protein chicken breasts, and miscellaneous ohter protein, such as string cheese, peanuts, protein bar, etc. SO basically, after totaling protein intake I have had...

227 grams of protein today. Starting off on the right track, correct?

HILL
04-20-2006, 02:54 AM
yeh looks good mate. if you are goinging weight total cals is what counts as longas you are getting you protein carbs and fats in correctly. The most important thing i think you can do is find your maintanance. You do this by eating say 2500 for a week and see if you gain or loose weight keep adjusting until your weight doesnt move. once you have this number you can cut/bulk using the correct amounts without loosing 2 much muiscle or gaining to much fat

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 06:31 AM
Awesome advice... That's what Im going to do for the res tof the week. I need to start counting my calories... Its just hard being a college kid and not having the packages right then to look and see what Im eating and stuff.

Focused70
04-20-2006, 06:34 AM
I recommend using Fitday (http://www.fitday.com) in this regard.

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 07:35 AM
I tried to do that... Just seems like way too much of a hassle to put everything in. Maybe Im just stupid... Ill give it another shot....

EDIT: Well.. Not that hard... here's so far, since Ive been in class, etc.

Cals Fat Carb Prot
Totals 765 28 79 49

Ill eat lunch about 12:15 and then head to class til 2:15 and then to the gym. Ill keep everyone updated.

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Ok, ate lunch... Small salad with Oil and Vinegar dressing and a large breast of stewed chicken, no skin.

Totals so far are:
Cals Fat Carb Protein
1348 65 83 105

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Leg workout was killer.. I cant hardly walk. Combined with Tuesdays workout, Im spent on legs... Did 25 minutes of cardio with the sweatshirt and pants on too. Really sweat for a long while.

Totals for today according to Fitday.com!
Cals Fat Carb Protein
Totals 2362 90 125 258

Ironman15
04-20-2006, 06:45 PM
So what have you decided on cut or bulk wise? If I could intervene, if you really want to be cut for the summer I would recommend cutting for like the next 2 months (check out Built's cut diet in her signature), and then just maintain until about August-September then begin bulking until like next april and repeat. Thats if you're really worried about being cut for the summer, if it's not the utmost important thing to you, then I would recommending a nice clean bulk until you get to the point where you really think you need to cut, but with a clean bulk that will take awhile and you'll gain a lot of mass in the meantime.

Also what kind of workout are you doing now? Depending on if you are gonna cut or bulk we can change it around to better suit whichever you plan on doing. Let me know bro.

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Id actually just like to maintain. Im happy with the food that I ate today and Im full as hell. It feels good.

Otherwise, my splits go something like this...
Monday-Upper body, Sprint work
Tuesday-Lower body, cardio
Wednesday-Upper body
Thursday_Lower Body, Cardio
Friday-Upper body, light cardio.

Weekend, I run, do a bunch of push ups and situps and keep my diet maintained, except for the drinking... lol. I play soccer on Monday nights and Softball on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Ironman15
04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
That's a **** load of cardio, lol. In my opinion it seems like you might be overtraining, lifting 5 days doing all that cardio, and playing sports. If I could interject let me real quick. With all that you're doing you're not giving your body much time to heal. I would suggest cutting the lifting to 3 days or atleast 4. Maybe monday-lower, tuesday-upper, wednesday-off, thursday-lower, friday-upper. I just think that would help you out. Also I would definitely cut out the pushups and situps on the weekends, unless you don't do any ab work during the week, then keep the situps. But I would do weighted situps. The abs grow just like other muscles, with heavy low reps like 6-12 range. You can't spot reduce fat so doing a ton of situps just reduces fat throughout the body not just in the abs. There's just a tidbit of the great info i've learned over the years while being a member on this site. Just thought that would help, if you have any questions about anything let me. I've pretty much spent the last few years of my life doing nothing but reading and researching about this crap.

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Good advice Mike. Ill start that up next week. How does my diet and intake sound?

Ironman15
04-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Not bad, I would shoot for around .5gs fat per lb, 1gs carb per lb, and 1.25gs of protein per lb. So at 170 lbs, looking at like 85 grams of fat, 170gs of carbs and 215gs of protein. Which comes out to like 2300 calories, which is about where you were. I just exchange a little of that protein for carbs. Besides that it looks great. Fat intake was damn near perfect. But its really hard to get spot on on those things and as long as you're within like 5% of each I'd say you're doing excellent. Like someone mentioned before www.fitday.com is excellent, even if you have to guesstimate on some stuff it definitely helps. What exactly are you workouts gonna look like lift wise? Might be able to give you some more pointers I've picked up.

Jimmything08
04-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Not bad, I would shoot for around .5gs fat per lb, 1gs carb per lb, and 1.25gs of protein per lb. So at 170 lbs, looking at like 85 grams of fat, 170gs of carbs and 215gs of protein. Which comes out to like 2300 calories, which is about where you were. I just exchange a little of that protein for carbs. Besides that it looks great. Fat intake was damn near perfect. But its really hard to get spot on on those things and as long as you're within like 5% of each I'd say you're doing excellent. Like someone mentioned before www.fitday.com is excellent, even if you have to guesstimate on some stuff it definitely helps. What exactly are you workouts gonna look like lift wise? Might be able to give you some more pointers I've picked up.

Shoulders-
Overheard dumbbell press
DUmbell lifts to the front
Dumbbell lifts to the side... I have no clue what they are called.

Biceps- Ive been using a routine out of MF that I like.
Standing barbell curl- 5sets x 12,10,8,6,5
Dumbell Preacher Hammer Curl- 2 setc x 10 reps a piece
Seated alternating dumbbell curl- 3 sets 10,8,6 reps

Triceps
Skullcrushers- 3 sets x 10
Bench dips- 3 sets x 10

Chest-
Pec Deck- 3 x 15
Incline Dumbbell Press- 3x10
Bench Press- Sometimes... Sometimes I do decline instead.. 3x 10

Legs
Squats- 4x10
Lunges- 3x10
Hamstring curls- 3x20
Calve press 3xfailure
Leg Press- 3xfailure

Cardio-
Stationary Bike, Treadmill, or Cross Trainer for 25-30 minutes... Building this up.

Abs-
Decline situps with 25 Lb. weight
Bench crunches
Bicycle crunches

Jimmything08
04-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Also, weighed myself this morning... Down to 168.5.

Anthony
04-21-2006, 08:17 AM
In regards to the photos, are you on the left or the right?

Ironman15
04-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Shoulders-
Overheard dumbbell press
DUmbell lifts to the front
Dumbbell lifts to the side... I have no clue what they are called.

Biceps- Ive been using a routine out of MF that I like.
Standing barbell curl- 5sets x 12,10,8,6,5
Dumbell Preacher Hammer Curl- 2 setc x 10 reps a piece
Seated alternating dumbbell curl- 3 sets 10,8,6 reps

Triceps
Skullcrushers- 3 sets x 10
Bench dips- 3 sets x 10

Chest-
Pec Deck- 3 x 15
Incline Dumbbell Press- 3x10
Bench Press- Sometimes... Sometimes I do decline instead.. 3x 10

Legs
Squats- 4x10
Lunges- 3x10
Hamstring curls- 3x20
Calve press 3xfailure
Leg Press- 3xfailure

Cardio-
Stationary Bike, Treadmill, or Cross Trainer for 25-30 minutes... Building this up.

Abs-
Decline situps with 25 Lb. weight
Bench crunches
Bicycle crunches

I can see a few problems. I would say you're doing too much for your biceps. I'd keep it to no more than 4 total sets. Also you don't have any back exercises listed. I would throw in chinups, bentover rows and maybe deadlifts. Instead of pec deck I would do dumbbell flyes. Rest of the stuff exercises are pretty solid.

Jimmything08
04-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Oh the right of course... Im the one with the crazy ears on..

Haha. No... I hope youre joking... Since my name is.. Jd. And Im a man.

Both of those photos are decently old. The one on the top is at least 8 months old and the bottom one is more like 3.

Jimmything08
04-21-2006, 08:30 AM
I can see a few problems. I would say you're doing too much for your biceps. I'd keep it to no more than 4 total sets. Also you don't have any back exercises listed. I would throw in chinups, bentover rows and maybe deadlifts. Instead of pec deck I would do dumbbell flyes. Rest of the stuff exercises are pretty solid.

****.. I knew I forgot something... I do upright rows and reverse flys ?? for my back. THe ones where you take two dumbbells and stand up, hold them in front of you and spread your arms.. ****ty description, I know...

Anthony
04-21-2006, 08:34 AM
hahaha, yeah, I was just breaking your balls.

I'd switch the majority of your "cardio" to HIIT and save the longer bike/runs for once in awhile. Just don't go overboard on the HIIT ... you don't need much to improve your vo2max and LT. Maybe 1-3 times a week, depending on your other work (s&c, skill) and your recovery ability/work capacity.

Ironman15
04-21-2006, 08:36 AM
****.. I knew I forgot something... I do upright rows and reverse flys ?? for my back. THe ones where you take two dumbbells and stand up, hold them in front of you and spread your arms.. ****ty description, I know...

Got ya. I'd consider switching both of those out for chinups and bentover rows and possibly add deadlifts. Need some lat exercises in their. I would maybe throw in 2 sets of shrugs as well. You can consider posting your routine in the weightlifting part of the forum and get some more insight. Might help some.

Jimmything08
04-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys.. For some reason, I love cardio lol. maybe from when I wrestled or whatever.

Anyways.. I took some pics today. Just trying to get them to upload. They suck, but oh well... I need some help, and thats what you all are here for, right?!

Anthony
04-21-2006, 09:21 AM
There's nothing wrong with cardio, but HIIT is better at pretty much everything compared to long runs or bike rides.

Jimmything08
04-21-2006, 09:32 AM
New Pics:

From looking at these pics it looks like my left pec is lagging a lot... Any solution?

Jimmything08
04-21-2006, 09:48 AM
I hate my stomach. No matter what I do, I cant seem to keep any ab muscle except for the top two... I hope my diet fixes this.

Ironman15
04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
I hate my stomach. No matter what I do, I cant seem to keep any ab muscle except for the top two... I hope my diet fixes this.

Spot on with that, its all about the diet if you want to see abs. Granted it helps if the abs are bigger, but the lower the bf the more those abs will shine through.

Jimmything08
04-21-2006, 11:59 AM
You like that sex pose Mike?

HAHAHA

Ironman15
04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
You like that sex pose Mike?

HAHAHA

lol, you're looking good though. The quads are looking big. And obviously you've done a little growing since i saw you last, you lucky bastard.

Jimmything08
04-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Well thanks man. I hate looking in the mirror every day though. Sucks ass to look and realize Im no where near where I want to be.

Quads are from soccer... Just like the calves. Thats what I get for playing for 17 years, you know?

Ironman15
04-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Well thanks man. I hate looking in the mirror every day though. Sucks ass to look and realize Im no where near where I want to be.

Quads are from soccer... Just like the calves. Thats what I get for playing for 17 years, you know?

You'll get there, just takes time and patience.

Jimmything08
04-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Bad night last night... Too much to drink and not enough to eat. ****... I hate doing that.

Coke
04-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Bad night last night... Too much to drink and not enough to eat. ****... I hate doing that.

It happens from time to time, lol...welcome up in here Ohio bro. You can't go wrong if you get the sessions in.

Jimmything08
04-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Had a nice back workout today at Powerstation here in middletown... Awesome gym, cool guys... Anyone aroudn should check it out.

Anyways, deadlifted 225 x 2 which was big for me seeing I have never really deadlifted. I was stoked about that. Thats the only update for today.. Tomorrow is calves and chest. We'll see how that goes.

Jd

KevinStarke
04-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Congrats on the DL man

Jimmything08
04-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks man... Damn, looking at your dead, youre a f*cking beast. Congrats on that... Thats damn impressive. Someday... Someday... lol.

Jimmything08
04-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Just got back from the gym... Decent workout today but my arm is killing me. Im really starting to wonder if I tore something in my bicep. It hurts when I throw a softball or try to push something up, like bench Press. I did set a new PR on the bench though, mainly because Ive never had someone to spot me until today...

Bench-185 x 2

Not bad if I say so myself. It's went up significantly since I started working out so Im happy. Other than that, we burnt our calves out today. Tomorrow is a rest day but Im going to do some HIIT and Cardio to cut some weight.

My back is still killing me... But it's a good feeling. I know I worked it out nice and hard and this whole week it will just get nothing but stronger. I really like the one body part a day method as it gives you a chance to train it hard and not have to worry about coming back 48 hours later and having it be sore.

Diet is back on track after the weekend too... I havent been using FitDay but Ive been eating pretty much the same thing everyday. Today Im having pasta and beans... Also known as Chili Spaghetti to you that have had the privilege of eating at a Gold Star or Skyline... Yumm..

Jimmything08
04-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Wednesday was a day of rest..

Today we did biceps. It was a quick workout as we had to go to check on a couple of applications for our summer jobs. Keep checking the thread...

Jimmything08
04-28-2006, 11:42 PM
We did shoulders today.. I accomplished another PR. I did trap shurgs...
270 x 4... it hurt... Not going to lie, but it felt good at the same time. I can tell already that getting into a correct regiment and eating right Im already starting to see improvements. It's nice...

Coke
04-29-2006, 07:17 AM
The improvements are going to gradually take place, good to see you moving up and liking it.