PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as 'too much tuna'?

Beaner
04-19-2006, 02:08 PM
I've heard that eating too much tuna can be bad for you due to the mercury levels in it. I eat 12 to 15 cans a week so this is something I would like to find out.

Any help would be great.

Eszekial
04-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Do a search.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77476&highlight=mercury

Beaner
04-19-2006, 02:18 PM
I did search, just not for the right things I guess. Sorry about that.

I guess I will have to find an alternative to tuna for 60 grams of my daily protein intake.

Thanks

Eszekial
04-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah, if you're a bigger guy i'd think 5-7 a week would be fine. At least, that's all i'd be comfortable with.

Otherwise, cut way back :D

Beaner
04-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm 6'2" and about 217 lbs.

I think I'll transfer to turkey chunks and throw in a can of tuna two or three times a week.

Eszekial
04-19-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm 207 6"1, and was having a hard time getting 190g Prot a day.

Eventually just went for protein shakes.

4 scoopes in 2 shakes is more than 1/2 your need. Helped quite a bit. And it's low cal and helps you keep your macros in line.

Beaner
04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your help. Off to the gym....

MJS
04-19-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm 207 6"1, and was having a hard time getting 190g Prot a day.

Eventually just went for protein shakes.

4 scoopes in 2 shakes is more than 1/2 your need. Helped quite a bit. And it's low cal and helps you keep your macros in line.

if you are 207 you should get a MINIMUM of 207 daily just for maintenance. Should be well over 250. I take in about 330 grams a day and I am 206.

monotone
04-19-2006, 02:39 PM
i wouldnt worry TOO much about the mercury levels in tuna unless you are planning on being pregnant in the near future.

Eszekial
04-19-2006, 02:42 PM
if you are 207 you should get a MINIMUM of 207 daily just for maintenance. Should be well over 250. I take in about 330 grams a day and I am 206.

Missinformation much?

There is a distinction between lbs and lbm....

Unless you are jay cutler, then, everybody should just slaughter and devour an entire grown cow... twice daily....

my LBM is roughly 175. To account for variables i shoot for 190.

Also i'm cutting.

MJS
04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Very true - forgot about LBM *smacks head*
My LBM is 180 and I STILL get over 300 grams of protein daily. Minimum.

Eszekial
04-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Very true - forgot about LBM *smacks head*
My LBM is 180 and I STILL get over 300 grams of protein daily. Minimum.

are you cutting or bulking?

What's your calorie goals?

Fat macro?

ArchAngel777
04-19-2006, 02:55 PM

I do not agree with this one bit... I have taken it as little as 50grams a day for months in and out and never suffered loss of LBM. My current LBM is aprox 175 and has been for well over 7 years now. I am ~200 now and eat around 80 grams per day. I am also cutting in addition to that and so far, so good.

So far 6 years I ate anywhere from 30 to 60 grams per day for ages. Maybe I am the exception? It is possible. But I know of a few others who don't require anywhere near their 1:1 ratio of Protein to LBM to maintain.

whiteman90909
04-19-2006, 02:58 PM
about tuna-
you want to eat light tuna, not solid albacore. albacore has around 6 or 7x the amount of mercury. but you can eat around 6 cans of tuna a week safely if you are a big guy, but not any more or else the mercury can have some long term effects and you will get poisoned by it. (FDA said 4 cans a week for the average male, so if your big add a few)

whiteman90909
sry, double post

Eszekial
I was able to maintain a steady muscle base in HS even when my diet was PURE CRAP. Not to mention TONS of cardio and HIIT year round (sports). I still had a good 200 lbs of muscle on me. (i was 240 total back then).

Might have been because I was young, full of test, and doing near max lifting 5 days a week.

But i never made a gain for crap.

MJS
04-19-2006, 04:59 PM
I do not agree with this one bit... I have taken it as little as 50grams a day for months in and out and never suffered loss of LBM. My current LBM is aprox 175 and has been for well over 7 years now. I am ~200 now and eat around 80 grams per day. I am also cutting in addition to that and so far, so good.

So far 6 years I ate anywhere from 30 to 60 grams per day for ages. Maybe I am the exception? It is possible. But I know of a few others who don't require anywhere near their 1:1 ratio of Protein to LBM to maintain.

You, Son, are a god among men. You need atleast 1:1 protein to LBM ratio to maintain. You defy biology.

smalls
04-19-2006, 07:28 PM
You, Son, are a god among men. You need atleast 1:1 protein to LBM ratio to maintain. You defy biology.

Your going to have to back that up with some research. Human beings need very little protein to maintain as long as total calories are there. That being said I never go below 450 grams.

Missinformation much?

There is a distinction between lbs and lbm....

Unless you are jay cutler, then, everybody should just slaughter and devour an entire grown cow... twice daily....

my LBM is roughly 175. To account for variables i shoot for 190.

Also i'm cutting.

Your almost sounding as though getting over that would be a bad thing. You wanna expound on why MJS getting that much protein is a negative?

i wouldnt worry TOO much about the mercury levels in tuna unless you are planning on being pregnant in the near future.

And here, among the mess, we have the most correct answer thus far.

WORLD
04-19-2006, 09:14 PM
I started a thread about this topic a while ago.. if you want you can go through the threads i've started and find it,.. It was pretty good.

sharkall2003
04-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Taking in excess amount of protein while not having a good amount of carbs and fats will deplete your energy levels and the efficiency of your body.

BTW: I better cut down on tuna. I have one or two cans a day now that I am on a cut.

smalls
04-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Taking in excess amount of protein while not having a good amount of carbs and fats will deplete your energy levels and the efficiency of your body.

BTW: I better cut down on tuna. I have one or two cans a day now that I am on a cut.

It's not the excess protein that will "deplete" your energy it's the fact your not getting any other energy sources. (according to the parameters of you statement).

Now address the topic if adaquate carbs and fats are ingested.
And why had you better cut down on tuna, cuz some kids on a message board said it had too much mercury?

MJS
04-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Your going to have to back that up with some research.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy46.htm (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy46.htm)
The answer you are looking for is in there, just the first of the search responses.

For building LBM you need at least 1:1 protein:LBM. At least. If you want to maintain the LBM that you already have with less than 100grams of protein, consuming the rest of your calories from fat and carbs; congratulations! You're a fat f*ck!

EDIT: to clarify, not calling anyone here a fat f*ck.

lilmase1153
04-20-2006, 02:44 AM
Mercury Eh you gotta die sometime.. I have at least for the past 2 years ate approx 6-10 cans of tuna a week, Ive never experienced any sides and I have actually been sick free going on 14 months..

On the subject of protein I find it good during cutting as its thermic effect is higher than carbs and fats.. I normally eat around 200-250Grams a day, with moderate carbs and fats.. Ive seen people gain on very little(100 or less) and seen people gain on very high (400+) I like say my intake is moderate and suits me just fine in terms of both gaining and losing weight..

smalls
04-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Please tell me that's a joke. Most of your posts seem well intentioned and backed with reasonable fairly educated responses. But if you actually beleive anything in that horribly written and false article then you have a lot of learning to do.

Do you really think every person out there who isnt consuming 1g/lb of protein is losing muscle. All those high school football players living off fast food and beer, yet continue getting stronger?

There is not one single piece of peer reviewed study that back up what you just quoted or the bull**** in that article. People build muscle with less protein than that every day.

And lol at people getting fat if they fill up their caloric requirements with fats and protein. So calories from protein never turn to fat and cals from carbs and fat always do, even if your eating at maintenance?

Stop reading articles on the internet and research this stuff from a physiology perspective. Or hell apply it to yourself and realise your not going to lose muscle by taking in less than 1gm per lb of LBM.

Edit: this is in response to MJS's post.

lilmase1153
04-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Haha I just noticed that post wasnt directed at me..

I do however agree with you, the actual physiological need for protein in humans is not very much .. I think this is one of those old BBing myths gone wild..

sharkall2003
04-20-2006, 06:02 AM
It's not the excess protein that will "deplete" your energy it's the fact your not getting any other energy sources. (according to the parameters of you statement).

Now address the topic if adaquate carbs and fats are ingested.
And why had you better cut down on tuna, cuz some kids on a message board said it had too much mercury?

I'm sure having 15 cans of tuna can't be particularly healthy, and yes that's what I meant by my statement.

Eszekial
04-20-2006, 09:40 AM
My psychological stand point is:

There are much more experienced members on this board, who are and have been ripped, who recommend at least 1 gram of protein per lbm to get that way.

I've experienced the below LBM protein intake, and my gains were ****ty at best.

That's my research.

smalls
04-20-2006, 11:25 AM

There are much more experienced members on this board, who are and have been ripped, who recommend at least 1 gram of protein per lbm to get that way.

I've experienced the below LBM protein intake, and my gains were ****ty at best.

That's my research.

IMO, that's not a bad way to come to a conclusion, at all. Do what has worked and continues to work for you. If it doesnt work or you have problems, change something. For that type of statement there is no research or back up necassary.

But when people starting saying X is necassary or Y is the absolutely only way, or else, then they need to back up why that is. Which they can't.

Eszekial
04-20-2006, 12:28 PM
IMO, that's not a bad way to come to a conclusion, at all. Do what has worked and continues to work for you. If it doesnt work or you have problems, change something. For that type of statement there is no research or back up necassary.

But when people starting saying X is necassary or Y is the absolutely only way, or else, then they need to back up why that is. Which they can't.

Agreed, logic wins the day.

ArchAngel777
04-20-2006, 12:30 PM

That's my research.

That is true. But keep in mind some people are just more gifted than others. My friend who is extremely ripped doesn't even do anything. Does shots every night, eats fast food. He has never heard of whey protein, nor cares about it. So, if he starts handing out advice, is it good advice? I don't think so...

This is also the reason many skilled athletes who were gifted with the intuition of their sport make extremely poor coaches. They don't have the slightest idea how to train someone who had difficulties that they never experienced.

But anyway, I don't see any harm in eating more protein than you need. In fact, it is probably wise to be on the safe side, no doubts there. I just don't think it is accurate to come up with a set in stone formula. When I read 8 - 8oz glasses of water a day, I react... When I read 1:1 protein to LBM, I react... I don't react when they are given as general recomendations, but when they are set to the absolute is when I question things.

Just my perspective on it.

Edit **

As far as the tuna question goes. I say, eat it. There are probably much worse things living under the fingernails you chew everyday. Possibly that door to the public restroom has far worse things... Maybe the SMOG is killing you, or basement mold comes out at night to get you... I mean, where do you draw the line? You ARE goiing to die one day, right? Does anyone believe they will live forever? Come to terms with this now "I am not eternal, I will die - I have an end". Once you have that settled, most people won't have time to be worried about small fry stuff. Just my opinion on it.

Eszekial
04-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Different things work for different people, it's true.

But I do know this much... The fat people in my life all eat **** and eat too much of it. And they don't know the first thing about exercise or nutrition.

The ripped people I know... They work out, work hard, are active, and eat well. Or.... They do cocaine...

I've never seen it any different.