PDA

View Full Version : Best lifts for fighting

Xyber04
04-20-2006, 03:16 AM
Hey guys, well im a boxer, me and my friends always mess around and stuff boxing and **** - i dont box for a club or anything, but ive been thinking about it, anyways every friday where i live like 100+ highschool kids go to what we call
"Friday Night Fights" a bunch of people show up ready to box and people bring boxing gloves, its extremly organized for a bunch of highschool kids. anyways ive been thinking about going to this and boxing with some people. so i need to know what lifts whould be the best for boxing i think i got the conditioning/endurance down, i jump rope and run.

so what are some lifts that would get my punching strength up. mainly jabs and hooks. i'd appreciate everyones oppinion, would be nice to see what some people do. thanks alot.

LouPac
04-20-2006, 03:33 AM
Bench press, skull crushers, weighted crunches, russian twists, 1 legged squats, chins, pullovers...

jkirkpatrick
04-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Power begins with leg strength, even for jabs. You should learn the mechanics of boxing first, then you'll realize what strength movements you can utilize to maximize your punching power.

Anthony
04-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Squat, deadlift, clean and jerk, and learn to punch.

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Hold on.. You weigh 127 and are 5'11? Youre going to get eaten alive if there are even any decent boxers there. Maybe you should bulk up a little first.. If you never fought or been in a boxing match/MMA fight, it's physically exhausting. Jumping rope and running arent going to cut it... How long do you do each for?

fixationdarknes
04-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Basically all the power lifts and olympic lifts. Also, to further improve your conditioning you could try www.crossfit.com It'll test to see if you're REALLY a man.

Meat_Head
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM
You definately need a bulk man. Get your basic lifts up and put on at least 30lbs before you seriously consider this. It'll help a ton.

After that, or during the weight gain, practice alot of olympic lifts. Learn to push press and do dumbell snatches, and work the HELL out of those. Those 2 lifts will do more for your punching power(eventually) than anything else in my opinion.

Nickthebassist
04-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Anything to strengthen your back, arms and torso.

Nickthebassist
04-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Hold on.. You weigh 127 and are 5'11? Youre going to get eaten alive if there are even any decent boxers there. Maybe you should bulk up a little first.. If you never fought or been in a boxing match/MMA fight, it's physically exhausting. Jumping rope and running arent going to cut it... How long do you do each for?
Hey, some boxers are skinny ****s who just know how to hit.

Meat_Head
04-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Hey, some boxers are skinny ****s who just know how to hit.

Most of those guys are a bit shorter, but most have no punching power anyway. Its an endurance match at that level, I don't really enjoy watching it... just my 2 cents

ottomanart
04-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I would seriously consider BULKING!!!! I do a bit of boxing (sparring) as part of my cardio work out and if you are looking to actually fight... you need some more weight (preferably muscle) on you!
Arm and Shoulder workouts are a must… and as jkirkpatrick and Anthony said… “legs are a key”… learn to pivot on your toes (to move side to side) and use your legs to push forward as you through a punch.
I would get together with someone who has actually boxed before and spar… at least then you won’t break your wrists when you make contact the first time.

Xyber04
04-20-2006, 12:41 PM
i dont wanna sound like an ass but i already know i have more than enough endurance to box, ive done wrestling for the last 5 years greco 2 1/2 years of freestyle, we condition until you cant lift a pencil, most people who have not done wrestling dont know how physically exausting it is. and or coach.. hes a X SEAL... anyways, just to let you guys know this is a highschool fight. freshman, sophmores and some juniors and seniors. 80% of these people have not much experiance under there belt. i just wanted to know what lifts would be good, and also i am trying to bulk out, gain around 20-25lbs, ive evn posted about it on wannabebig. anyways thanks for the help so far, keep em comming :thumbup:

Xyber04
04-20-2006, 12:45 PM

actully this morning i was 133, probly would be around 135 in the night when friday night fights takes happens

Jimmything08
04-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Id still try to bulk man. I wrestle/wrestled also.. I know about the conditioning... Its really different for boxing and wrestling. Different muscles are used.. I guess juts lift., lift, lift and bullk as much as you can.

dw06wu
04-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Power cleans, clean and jerk, squats, deadlift. Strong legs and core probably help fighting more than anything else. If you had to condense it as much as possible, I would guess that these couple were the most beneficial.

Xyber04
04-21-2006, 11:15 AM
thanks guys. ya i know i needa gain weight but its hard for me, i love eating, and i love lifting, but just i stay skinny, i get somewhat stronger but stay skinny

Nickthebassist
04-21-2006, 11:26 AM
I would seriously consider BULKING!!!! I do a bit of boxing (sparring) as part of my cardio work out and if you are looking to actually fight... you need some more weight (preferably muscle) on you!
Arm and Shoulder workouts are a must… and as jkirkpatrick and Anthony said… “legs are a key”… learn to pivot on your toes (to move side to side) and use your legs to push forward as you through a punch.
I would get together with someone who has actually boxed before and spar… at least then you won’t break your wrists when you make contact the first time.
You also need your torso. As you throw a punch your torso twists, and more powerful abs will mean you can do this with more force.

Nickthebassist
04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Most of those guys are a bit shorter, but most have no punching power anyway. Its an endurance match at that level, I don't really enjoy watching it... just my 2 cents
I'd rather watch that than watch two fat boys occasionally jab each other and wobble around the ring.

Eszekial
04-21-2006, 11:40 AM
You need to lift a spoon.

Bohizzle
04-21-2006, 12:15 PM
and a fork, and possibly a knife.

Meat_Head
04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
I'd rather watch that than watch two fat boys occasionally jab each other and wobble around the ring.

Those big guys can't afford to take a good shot from the other guy. They PAY when they get hit, lightweights do not.

Nickthebassist
04-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Those big guys can't afford to take a good shot from the other guy. They PAY when they get hit, lightweights do not.
Nonetheless, I enjoy watching the lightweights more, unless you get two really tough heavyweights who can pound the living **** out of each other.

body
04-22-2006, 04:41 AM

you have not trained with some light weight i have trianed with.

and if it organised then he be fighting similar light weight guys as well.

Meat_Head
04-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Nothing against their skill and endurance, and I'm sure there are alot with a good chin and a good punch... but knockouts are rare at that level. There's a huge difference in the power and strategy, you can afford to take some hard hits from your opponent as a lightweight, as a heavyweight its never good.

Bam
04-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Xyber04 i know what you mean about wrestling ive wrestled the last 6 years of my life my school has won city for the last 11 years are wrestling coach is mad and works us till we cannot go any further people dont understand when you wrestle/run/practice for 3 hours with no water its physically draining. Now wrestling will condition you for boxing a lot more then football. To gain weight go buy some weight gainer stuff most of them will give you an extra 1,000 calories a day.

Xyber04
04-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Xyber04 i know what you mean about wrestling ive wrestled the last 6 years of my life my school has won city for the last 11 years are wrestling coach is mad and works us till we cannot go any further people dont understand when you wrestle/run/practice for 3 hours with no water its physically draining. Now wrestling will condition you for boxing a lot more then football. To gain weight go buy some weight gainer stuff most of them will give you an extra 1,000 calories a day.

thanks for the imput bro. ya i would think wrestling would get you built up for boxing

Xyber04
04-22-2006, 11:50 AM
you have not trained with some light weight i have trianed with.

and if it organised then he be fighting similar light weight guys as well.

and not to mention that these people are ussuly freshman and sophomors, so thees never really some huge ripped guys ready to fight, just skatboards and wanna be gangsters and ****

Bam
04-22-2006, 01:19 PM
my highschool has something similar to this where everyone boxes most of them are wiggers/scrwany white kids who dont know the first thing about fighting and just go in swinging and hope to get a lucky punch. when i boxed some wiggers right when they started to bleed they quit and the sad thing it was in the first 30 seconds. if your serious about boxing go join a real boxing gym.

235orbust
04-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I wouldnt really worry too much about getting a bigger lower body, 127 and deadlifting 305??? Ive never seen that in my life

Bam
04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
235orbust i know this 22 year old asain he weighs 114 pounds and deadlifts 405

KingJustin
04-22-2006, 06:34 PM
In response to the original question ..

Check out these sites. They give a lot of info on how to train for fighting:

General Information About Picking Exercises & Workouts specific to your sport
http://www.veloforce.net/Sportspec.html

5 Steps to a KO Punch:
http://www.veloforce.net/player_KO_punch-3a.jpg

5 Steps to Being a Swinger (Ab work type stuff)
http://www.veloforce.net/5-steps-to-swing.jpg

Mixed Martial Arts-Specific Exercises:
http://www.veloforce.net/MMA-specific.html

Circuit training
http://elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm

For the lazy...
Some of the best exercises for boxing include ...
DB & Barbell Floor Bench, Military Press, 1-arm-DB or barbell power cleans, Rows, "Twists" on the pulley, Deadlifts & squats

Heavy bag work is probably the most important of all, though. After I got my heavy bag and really worked on it for awhile my punching power went through the roof. Conditioning is really important as well. Do things like burpees (search bodybuilding.com), shadow boxing, "falls" (like football players do) and stuff like that. Refer to the circuit training article and be sure to stretch a lot as well.

Oh, and yeah, you gotta put on some weight, man. If you fought at a reasonably high level, at 5'11 & 127 you'll be all bones fighting against people that are like 5'6 that have way more muscle mass and that can really swing once they get inside you. If I were 5'11 I'd want to be at least 165 and ideally almost 200 lbs. Eat like 8 meals a day and get in the gym.

Meat_Head
04-22-2006, 10:07 PM
W00t awesome post bizatch

PredatorX
04-24-2006, 05:46 AM
I just thought I'd post this link for those who are interested. It's a record of tape of the tape figures for baically every heavyweight champion.

Tale of the Tape (http://www.ibhof.com/ibhftape.htm)

ILL_Mitch
05-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Are you stupid? You're interested in fighting, want to box, and you say you're even serious enough to lift weights to be better at boxing and you do dumb **** like go to your little 'FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS'? OMG you're HarDc0rE man.

How about this. Join a boxing gym. It's not hard. Sign a piece of paper, pay a very small amount of money, and take a few classes. Lifting weights is a complete waste of your time if in terms of getting better at boxing, so forget about that.

If you wanna get better at boxing, join a gym, it's not rocket science. Jesus. I'm sick of these damn high school kids and their fight clubs.

diesel_dan
05-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Are you stupid? You're interested in fighting, want to box, and you say you're even serious enough to lift weights to be better at boxing and you do dumb **** like go to your little 'FRIDAY NIGHT FIGHTS'? OMG you're HarDc0rE man.

How about this. Join a boxing gym. It's not hard. Sign a piece of paper, pay a very small amount of money, and take a few classes. Lifting weights is a complete waste of your time if in terms of getting better at boxing, so forget about that.

If you wanna get better at boxing, join a gym, it's not rocket science. Jesus. I'm sick of these damn high school kids and their fight clubs.

Go out to one and do something about it.

ILL_Mitch
05-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Go out to one and do something about it.

I don't think so, I'm not stupid enough to waste my time on big idiots.

Anthony
05-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Okay boys, calm down.

dissipate
05-19-2006, 06:07 PM
what sort of rep range and tempo should we be doing? i was looking around mike zambidis' website and he said he trains with low weight, fast tempo to "tone and not to bulk" so that speed isn't lost...

nejar462
05-19-2006, 06:53 PM
"Those big guys can't afford to take a good shot from the other guy. They PAY when they get hit, lightweights do not."

Actually they had studies of forces boxers generated and it turned out that around 145-160 lb range (in regard to fighting weight) the boxers had generated the most force. I couldn't find the study but I've read it before. What I did find was a study where a heavier group of boxers produced less force on average than lighter ones.

http://www.bepress.com/jqas/vol2/iss2/3/

"Twelve boxers wore boxing gloves incorporating the bestshot System TM in six professional boxing matches across five different weight classes. The force of each delivered punch was measured across all rounds of all bouts. Mean punch forces delivered ranged from 866.6 N (Super Middleweight) to 1149.2 N (Light Middleweight) across the fights and was not significantly correlated with boxer’s weight"

What people don't realize is combat sports tend to be heavily endurance based. The reason the HW's have trouble making exciting matches is they gas.

Meat_Head
05-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Force = MASS x acceleration

Nuff said

syrus
05-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about hitting the gym right now. Instead, I would focus more on learning the fundamentals of boxing.

First of all, I used to box in the past and a few months ago I got back into it. I consider myself to be pretty strong, but there's guys there who are no where near my size and yet I think they have more power behind their punches than I do. You can be as strong as an ox, but if you don't use proper technique your punches won't have **** behind it.

technique>speed>power

SkinnySadMan
05-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Lifting weights is a complete waste of your time if in terms of getting better at boxing, so forget about that.

I wouldn't forget about it, might as well be as strong and powerful as you can pound for pound. Being stronger will just make you faster.

Just thought I'd share... I know this dude that was in a couple of my classes in High School, He was about 6' 140ish lbs. He can bench 180 lbs. 10 times, an estimated 240 lbs. 1 rep max, he's been boxing since he was 7, and he might go professional one day.

Jinkies
05-20-2006, 11:06 AM
You become a better fighter from fighting, things help but its experience

Jinkies
05-20-2006, 11:09 AM
also find out if you got a glass jaw, ive seen a 140 pound guy knock out a 300 pound with a swing. genetics play their roles too

The_Jester
05-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Me and a couple friends bought two pairs of gloves and box every now and then as of now I've fought two matches(other than just punching eachother a few times) and knocked both of them out. In turn, I've reached the conclusion that whatever I do, would be what you want to do.

Andre3000
05-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Keep your chin down, please don't get hurt.

diesel_dan
05-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Chin down, elbows tucked, stay on the balls of your feet. Make sure you have a good stance (if you lead with your left: left foot at 8 o'clock and right at 2 o'clock. Reverse it if you lead with your right).Keep your knees slightly bent. Don't cross your legs when moving. Learn what center of mass means and what f = ma (force = mass x acceleration) means. After learning what center of mass and force = mass x acceleration means, apply them. Just some boxing basics.

Andre3000
05-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Yeah, more and more you're probably seeing it would just be best to go to a boxing gym.

Chronic
05-27-2006, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't forget about it, might as well be as strong and powerful as you can pound for pound. Being stronger will just make you faster.

Just thought I'd share... I know this dude that was in a couple of my classes in High School, He was about 6' 140ish lbs. He can bench 180 lbs. 10 times, an estimated 240 lbs. 1 rep max, he's been boxing since he was 7, and he might go professional one day.

Not trying to bash you sadman but do you think 180 X 10 and 240 X 1 are on the same level? I could do 180 probably 20 times but certainly not 240. Just wondering.

SkinnySadMan
05-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Well, I said it was just an estimate... I used the 1 rep max calculator, lol.

Goodwinm
05-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Not trying to bash you sadman but do you think 180 X 10 and 240 X 1 are on the same level? I could do 180 probably 20 times but certainly not 240. Just wondering.
180 20 times, i think u shud be able to do 240 dude.

Andre3000
05-28-2006, 10:22 AM

He could have good endurance, and some strength, but not enough to do 240 yet.

BigRic
05-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Well when I was at 185-9 times I could do about a 245 or 240 lb max.

Patz
05-29-2006, 08:21 AM
I couldn't touch 180 for 20, but 10 I could probably handle. I've done 225 for 1. I'm QUITE sure if I could get 20 reps of 180, I could handle 240.

Anthony
05-29-2006, 08:30 AM

I think my best with 180 was 23 and around the same time I was doing 280-285 for 5. Max 325.

Goodwinm
05-29-2006, 12:56 PM
I think my best with 180 was 23 and around the same time I was doing 280-285 for 5. Max 325.
I spose Its a matter of Endurance_Strength. (if that isnt a load of BS) lol

Its like some pro PLer's can Bench a huge 700-800lbs, but get them to do 60 reps of 132lbs and they will fail, because their muscles just burn out too quickly and are only used to Huge power drives.

Am i right? Or is there something else?

Anthony
05-29-2006, 01:06 PM
If you go to extremes (like your example) then yes, it's a matter of strength VS endurance, but when talking in the 1-10 rep range, that doesn't play a very big role. If you can hit 180x10, you're probably pretty close to 240x1.

Goodwinm
05-29-2006, 01:14 PM
If you go to extremes (like your example) then yes, it's a matter of strength VS endurance, but when talking in the 1-10 rep range, that doesn't play a very big role. If you can hit 180x10, you're probably pretty close to 240x1.
Yer I can see what your sayin man.

diesel_dan
05-29-2006, 06:03 PM
3 weeks ago I was at 185 for 5x5. I benched 250 for max.

ReDo
06-11-2006, 11:23 PM
I boxed in high school as well. I trained alongside a guy by the name of Dale Crowe. He's been on ESPN before but his life has taken a tragic turn which I will not comment any further.

If you're serious about boxing you will need to absolutely slam your abs. Anyone who knows how to box will tell you body blows are the foundation of boxing not "fighting". You're not going to knock every opponent out with a hay maker so you need to wear down the body and you're opponent will try to do the same. Strong tight abs will help you to absorb these punches.

Obliques help you in this punch taking area as well but also help you to get good twisting movement in both ducking and dodging but also in twisting such as in a lead right hook for a southpaw stance.

Also, jabs are your setup punches along with straits. You want to develop your shoulders as much as possible. Dale had shoulders the size of mountains and could pack a hell of a punch. You're going to need to keep your hands up and in a multi-round fight your hands can get heavy. Strong shoulders help this.

And lastly, your back helps you to retract your punches faster. You don't want to leave your hands out there too long or you'll get caught in the side of the head or worse, a shot in the ribs.

Based on my experience, and too a certain extent it is limited but most likely superior to most posters on here and most ppl you'll encounter I'd say if you want a boxing specific approach you should focus on those muscle groups. You'll want strong legs too because movement is important but if you want to make weight (meaning you're not a heavyweight) legs can be an unnecessary burden as they weigh a ton due to their size. But, strong glutes and quads will help you bring some power behind your uppercuts.

Good luck and chill with that backyard stuff. You will only learn bad habits slugging it out like that and you may have difficulty breaking them. Real boxing is not about one punch wonders. It is a test of endurance and for that you need to be running your tail off. Be quick, land shots to score points, always protect yourself and if you have the stamina you'll be succssful.

ReDo
06-11-2006, 11:41 PM

Look I hate the fight club sh!t too. But to say that weight training is useless is incorrect. Why else would boxing gyms, which I have belonged to three of in the course of my life, have weights?

I wouldn't worry to much about hitting the gym right now. Instead, I would focus more on learning the fundamentals of boxing.

First of all, I used to box in the past and a few months ago I got back into it. I consider myself to be pretty strong, but there's guys there who are no where near my size and yet I think they have more power behind their punches than I do. You can be as strong as an ox, but if you don't use proper technique your punches won't have **** behind it.

technique>speed>power

True, technique is very important but all I did above was address his question about exercises. If he's serious about boxing he'll figure out that technique is what will win matches, whether it be punching style or footwork, pacing himself, or working his opponents weaknesses.

There is much more to boxing than just wailing on eachother. It is an art and for those that approach it that way you will succeed. If you want to approach it as fight club I hope you get you're ass kicked and am willing to put money on the fact that you will no matter how big you are.

-TIM-
06-12-2006, 09:23 AM
I recall years ago there was some stupid Tough Man circuit that had a 3 round format which lasted maybe 2 or 3 minutes. I believe it was on FX. Anyway, it was basically guys in jean shorts and mullets swinging for the fences. Top prize was like $10k or something. I remember one guy who was easily the smallest in the lower weight class who pretty much dominated the others. He had a few years of boxing training/experience under his belt which showed. Nobody could touch him. He danced around guys who were throwing punches like mad, trying to connect with 1 shot. He basically picked them all apart, even though he was smaller.

I assume a high school boxing club will be similar to this. A bunch of kids trying to knock each other's lights out to impress the girls. But if you take the advice from some of these guys and learn some basic boxing technique, it should help you out greatly.

bics56
06-13-2006, 09:16 AM
if you goal is to do good and you dont have much experience I would focus on how to box more than strength.

Fenrir
07-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I think i remember reading somewhere (probably on this site:P) that fingertip, and knuckle push-ups are good for making a harder punch, just be careful u dont hurt yourself doing them...

Dinosaur
07-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Power cleans, clean and jerk, squats, deadlift. Strong legs and core probably help fighting more than anything else. If you had to condense it as much as possible, I would guess that these couple were the most beneficial.

I'm with this, although I'd probably do good mornings instead of squats (work the hips more, good for punching) and toss in full contact twists, pull-ups, and dips.

Dinosaur
07-03-2006, 10:56 AM
I think i remember reading somewhere (probably on this site:P) that fingertip, and knuckle push-ups are good for making a harder punch, just be careful u dont hurt yourself doing them...

Fingertip can be tough on your fingers, there's a lot better ways to strengthen your hands.

Knuckle pushups are okay though, just concentrate on the first two knuckles.

Chronic
07-29-2006, 07:57 PM

lol... so on my last set a couple weeks ago I was able to push up 225 a couple times. So ya 240 shouldnt be too hard fresh

D Breyer
07-29-2006, 09:09 PM
That friday night fights thing sounds pretty sweet... I wish we could organize something similar at my school.......

jack_of_all
08-03-2006, 07:31 PM
If i had to advise you on the best things you could do for fighting i would say: you want a STRONG neck. blows to the head don't knock you out, head-whip does. the jaw is the worse place to be hit, its better to take it in the nose than the jaw (and you DONT wanna get hit there either); preferabley don't get hit, but the forehead is good if you absolutley cannot avoid it. never try to absorb an upper cut, the punch is designed to create maximal whipping of your head. a strong core is second, abs add both power and defense. take punches to the ribs and flex your abs and obliques, dont get hit in the center. learn how to fight and never let fear push you into submission, even when you are defending, you should still be attacking. be careful out there, honestly i would advise against what your doing entirley, learn boxing in a more controlled and safe environment.

MixmasterNash
08-03-2006, 08:09 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9b9l_fedor-documentary-part-1-of-3
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9b9v_fedor-documentary-part-2-of-3
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9bdi_fedor-documentary-part-3-of-3

Jefftree
04-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Im 17 5'6" and 145lbs I lift regularly (5 times a week for 1 and a half hours) and i train for mma fighting 5 days a week for 3 hours in all my lifts i am getting very little gains
I whent from: Bench: from 175 to 180 in 10 weeks Squat: from 260 to 280 Deadlifts: 315 to 330 Power cleans: 170 to 180 Curls: 98 to 100 (One Rep max weight)
Working out with: (reps) (sets)
Bench: 145lbs x8-12 x4
Squat: 225lbs x8-12 x4
Deadlifts: 255lbs x8-12 x4
Power cleans: 135lbs x10-12 x4
Curls: 70lbs x10-12 x5

I have been using weigh protien And creatin suppliments durring the whole 10 weeks and dont want to get over 160 but cant put on weight at all and have been eating about 3500 calories Daily
and dont want to gain fat but want more muscle.... and I have been lifting for only 2 years and would like pointers

Hobo Beard
04-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Power begins with leg strength, even for jabs. You should learn the mechanics of boxing first, then you'll realize what strength movements you can utilize to maximize your punching power.

Best advice so far.

Since you fight, you know how much stronger your punches are that start from your legs.

Like my Dad taught me as a kid about basketball, "You shoot from the hips."

Think of a golf swing--power doesn't mean shit without fluid and proper mechanics.

All that aside, if you could only do one exercise: do box squats.

They are superior to squats and any Olympic movements to build practical, applicable explosiveness.

Check out this link: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-102010.html .

I can go into further detail if you want, but here is a list exercises you should focus on:

pressing:
floor press (barbell and dumbbell)
military press (barbell and dumbbell)
close-grip bench press
JM press
triceps extensions (barbell and dumbbell)

pulling:
deadlifts (all variations including rack pulls)
good mornings
dumbbell rows
pull-ups/chin-ups (forget pulldowns)
high rows (all variations)
--TRAIN YOUR REAR DELTS HARD! Just like powerlifters, many fights incur imbalance injuries that are easily preventable.

curls for girls: you only need to do hammer curls or reverse barbell curls
--Barbell curls won't do ANYTHING for you unless you practice a secret art with forms in which you attack your opponent with your hands open and palms up.

legs:
box squats (all variations)
front squats
1-leg press
glut-ham raises
pullthroughs

core: anything weighted

cable crunches
sit-ups
Roman sit-ups
. . . .
--Never forget you aren't a bodybuilder and the abs routine you read from guys on 50k+ a year cycles won't do shit for you.

Hobo Beard
04-22-2011, 06:48 AM
In regards to all this talk of bulking, you of course should at least be eating 3 meals plus 2 shakes a day, but NEVER sacrifice your explosiveness for mass or power.

This is what happens when technique/explosiveness meets size/power: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcTPTZDyXk .

Take it from a big, fat guy (6'2", 260+): I'd rather grappled (or more accurately hug and then slam or put my gut on) with a bigger/stronger guy than have to defend strikes from a smaller and thus fast and more wily opponent.

Hobo Beard
04-22-2011, 06:57 AM
I'll also add that I think underestimation is a great asset for a fighter to have.

Look at the two best fighters in the world: Fedor Emelianenko and Anderson Silva.

To anyone who doesn't follow MMA, they look a fat guy with a beer belly and a skinny runner--which is GREATLY to their advantage.