PDA

View Full Version : Daily Caloric intake

MalteseAnimal
04-21-2006, 02:15 PM
How can I figure out how many calories I should have per day to lose weight? I know there's some formula kicking around, etc..

Thanks in advance

sharkall2003
04-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Calculate how many calories you are consuming right now. Once you do that decrease by 300 per day, and add in some cardio and you will lose weight. If you want to lose weight slower don't decrease your calories as much or dont' do cardio.

The basic formula is burn more than you consume.

HILL
04-21-2006, 03:38 PM
formulas are no good. pick a number say 2500 eat that amount of calories for a week see if you gain or loose weight. add or subtract cals from this number until you get to a poitnwere you havnt lost or hained weight in 1 week. this is maintanance cals. then you can subtract 10/20% or 3/500 cals and start to cut down. obviously you need to keep the basic 1-1.5 g of protein per pound of lean body mas 0.5g of fat per pound of lbm and the rest with carbs

Davidelmo
04-21-2006, 04:04 PM
What is your current height, weight, body fat?

ottomanart
04-22-2006, 10:32 AM
I am 24, 190lbs and 5’10” and trying to slim down. I had a similar question about finding my Maintenance Cals level... it was up here a few days ago and this is what people told me:

"it is cliche, but true, that everyone is different. You are going to have to keep track of your food for at least 3-7 days, 7 being ideal. This will give you an idea of how many calories you consume in a week. If you don’t gain any weight during that week, you know your maintenance. If you lose/gain weight, +- 500 cals from what you were eating before and try again the following week. You will be happy in the long run to figure out what your maintenance is and not what an online calculator found to be your maintenance. Sign up a www.fitday.com which is a website where you can log the foods you eat to make keeping track of them easier." -canada-

"Nope, don't use the BMR formulas. Just plug everything in and track what you eat for a week, and if you don't gain or lose any weight, that's your maintenance level. For most it's around 3000 cals, so you could start around there if you aren't sure. Just make sure to get at least 0.5g/lb LBM in fats and 1g/lb LBM in protein.”
–Jordan-

I am rally active and run almost every day so I am going with the 3000 cals a day for now and seeing how I feel. I hope what these guys told me can help you too. It seems to be doing well for me so far. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.